Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Real World Owners Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you order them AFTER delivery in the US? Will the Roll Cage connection points be there? I don't think they were in previous US spec GT3/RS
Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Nope. A US spec car is the same whether euro or US delivery. Ain't gonna happen.
so he could not walk up to a dealer and buy a bar and seats? Would cost a lot with VAT and such. Well a thought. maybe carnewal will have a source soon.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:20 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I thought you meant order them for the US car with your build.

Even if the seats and bar are available presently at the german dealers, you run the risk of the seat not being compatible with the wiring harness on the US spec car. Even if Compatible the euro seats are not technically legal for the US market, adding to the complications.

Seems most prudent to wait until the US seat is released by Porsche
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just wait for the seats. The PITA is sliding around in the seat cornering so the first thing I do when getting a car is seat,bar and harness.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think there are any bad angles for this car!

Switzerland, Lake Como, Bellagio completed. Running in mileage (300) now completed. Tomorrow should see some more spitited driving to the coast and Rapello.

First impressions. Car is planted. Acceleration is addictive. Shifts are fast (I have little modern 911 to compare to here as last newest 911 was 1999 Porsche 996.1 GT3!). Steering is direct, not as much feedback as 993 but better than any other modern machinery Ive driven recently. Front end grip impressive. Turning circle (finally) very good as is general maneuverability. Ive mainly driven in full auto (RHD on LHD roads, very narrow dual lane roads with poor surfaces (Italian road keeping on a budget!). Surprisingly we havent hit the front spoiler yet including getting lost down as crazy cambered and pot holed roman era cobbled lane in the hills above Como!
Steering wheel is much smaller than 993. When using manual Ive used paddles and shifter. Prefer shifter for now but never owned a paddle shift so some adjusting required. Engine sounds great on outside, but still very manageable on inside.
Idle high around 900 when cold, when driving slowly lots of chuntering and whirring as clutches handle inputs etc.
The car builds speed with phenomenal ease. Brakes are mighty. Car feels smaller than it looks. White looks better than it photographs. Interior quality very good. Fuel consumption.
Complaints? Its low, and with bucket seats getting in and out tales some effort. Not really a complaint. Interestingly the left side of hoot sits slightly lower than right side (as per every 911 I have owned getting this flush side to side can take some playing around!). I believe there are some rubber stops that can be adjusted under the hood to address this but just curious it wasnt perfect from the get go although its not noticeable in white. Have driven the car at night and the Xenon are great, the PDLS even better on narrow winding Italian roads. Glad we ditched the PCM with Navi as the $199 TomTom we picked up has all of Europe with lifetime updates and does traffic updates and speed cameras (already loaded and subscribed) so Id imagine far better than the factory unit in any case. Stereo is OK - we have the upgraded CDR with additional speaker and amps but nothing to write home about.
Asthetics seem spot on, wheel fill the arches beautifully, wheels are just insamely beautiful and tyre pressure monitoring is both accurate and handy. We have Michelin PSC2 tyres and they have handled faultlessly down to 2 degrees although heat up much faster above 7 celcius (sorry dont know the imperial).

Heres some pictures to help including Swiss/Italian boarder crossing stop, driving to the St Gotthard tunnel (2 degress C on on ramp and 34 C half way inside the 15km tunnel! Also some on Lake Como, skinny cobbled stone street, a few interior, you get the picture....)

P.S. Interestingly whilst waiting a day to get the car ready I asked the techs to strip off the underneath aero stuff and tray from the car so I could look at what under the skin (you see nothing in the new cars compared to the old). I think I found our new upgraded gearbox oil cooler - will send through pics later).

PPS we bought a cheap fitted luggage set and it worked a treat!
Attached Images                
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

more...
Attached Images      
Old 12-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. White holds up well. She still hasn't seen a wash since delivery!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Gorgeous in white,I have no doubt now! You can especially see in the night time pictures,which I believe I haven't seen any so far...
Neutral review too,spot on I'd say,touched the positive without praising,in the same time not leaving out the things where they could've done better. Congrats again Macca and enjoy! Your posts started to grow on me since you've picked up the car. Great pics too!

P.S. Is that front plate a sticker?
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks @Macca -- gorgeous pics and great details.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, "More, please?"
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Great review and pictures! Looking forward to your impressions when you do more spirited driving.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks for the report and pics! Looks like you guys are having a blast!!

So, let me ask this. While I know it's a brand new car to you, and all of us (to-be) owners will be more likely to sing the car's praises since we've all bought into the new metal, has it met your expectations? Do you see yourself keeping both the 993 and the GT3?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca: this just a) made my day and b) sealed the deal on confirming my selection of white as my exterior color! Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Macca -- Excellent Post.

Glad I got white, and still glad i got LED.. lol.. When I saw a 997.2 GT3 next a a 991S the GT3 looked tiny. It was hard. but i'm glad I waited a year and went with the 991, then searched the US to find one. 991-gt3 looks much more significant. (didn't want to spend all this hard earned cash on something that looked like a go-cart w/ a wing) I think the stock satin wheels will be dark enough for me too. I think these solid colors look more sporty and aggressive then the ~silver I saw at the LA auto show.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing pics & comments – THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks for the report and pics! Looks like you guys are having a blast!!

So, let me ask this. While I know it's a brand new car to you, and all of us (to-be) owners will be more likely to sing the car's praises since we've all bought into the new metal, has it met your expectations? Do you see yourself keeping both the 993 and the GT3?
Hi Frayed. Good question!

Firstly, let me be honest. I havent stretched the cars legs yet. 7500 rpm has been the maximum I have done and maybe 160kmph. The fact is we picked the car up in Zurich 2 degrees celcius and made a dash for the mountains. The road was very cold and I was on summer tyres so technically un insured. I travelled at constant speed (80-130) for two hours and only today got t drive the car in more moderate temperatures (7 degrees). Problem is today was all windy narrow poorly paved roads beside the lake and up in the hills. I think I sued manual option three times!

Now we are on the second tank of gas and run in Kms are completed tomorrow we drive 250Km to the Italian coast where temps are 15-17 during the day and 5-8 over night. There are many good driving roads there. Once I have spent a few days driving those roads I cant tell you much much more. I will ditch the wife and go out for a proper drive!

In terms of first impressions - what i cant tell you is that this is the best sports car I have driven. Sitting in it feels just right and it handles very very well. A few instances I gassed it between tight corners, in a 300m stretch is tripled speed and then shaved speed off at enormous rate with huge brakes, great front grip not fear any longer of slide to under-steer, then on the gas and those huge rear tyres really picked up speed. All that being said I still havent exceeded 7500 rpm LOL! Also been very careful with cold temps and R compound rubber although tyres have been faultless to date.

Biggest challenge for me is finding something relevant for you guys as I have track and tarmac rally time under 993 belt (13 years) plus old school RS and 996 GT3 ownership but no hands on experience with anything since 1999 production so we really have alot of ground to make up here for comparative purposes. Right now this thing is like a X wing fighter vs a roller skate!

Give me a few more days and by the weekend I will know for sure how good this car is. If it has faults I will tell you too as I am not one of those people who talk good things only because they own it - if I dont like it I sell it move on no drama.

First things tho - visually there will be no disappointments. Its the best looking 911 for a very long time (since 993 GT2 IMHO!).
Secondly you can daily drive this car forever. If it can handle the driving we did today as well as it did it ca handle your US roads with ease.
Thirdly the car has a chassis to die for. Most stable so far.
Lastly the engine and gearbox - here I need more time. First impressions very good but you have to remember Im driving in foreign lands with a wheel on teh right side a wife and luggage on-board and roads ive never covered let alone in anger. If back home I could tell you in 1 hour on my favorite road but right now been survival and running in Kms. To be honest the signs are very good.....my wife even commented we may need extra car storage space LOL!

Quick Reply: First Real World Owners Feedback?