Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Real World Owners Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

The passes are all closed in winter unfortunately...
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Macca, if you go by lake Como, that's my neck of the woods. Make sure you take the drive from Bellaggio, and eat at "Salice Blu".. Off the beaten path, but it's run by a Michelin rated chef and his dad.. All veggies are from the orchard.. Best meal I've had. When you're in Como, have a pizza at "trattoria messicana " in piazza delle colonne.. Best northern Italian style pizza you'll ever try. My parents aren't there in winter or I would have you as a guest. Enjoy the area.. Fabulous driving roads... Make sure from Bellaggio you put the gt3 on the ferry to Varenna and take some of those roads on the east side of the lake up to Swiss border, or down towards Lecco. Enjoy
My brother got married in lake como in Villa Balbianello ..stunning place ..

My gt3 arrives in 2 weeks can't wait
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
In any color but white, a clear bra is a must have item.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^Just curious, why do you say that?
Regardless of the film, regardless of the 'warranty,' it always yellows on white. Xpel Ultimate, VS, on and on and on. My wife's GS has had two Expel Ultimate rewraps in the last two years, the second was due to a bodywork replacement of the front clip. You can see where the old sections are yellowing, and even after a year, you can see the new wrap is yellowing as well.

Same story with regards to a buddy of mines old E92 M3, and on his current GT-R.

While I don't wipe a car down after every drive, I personally could not walk by a pitted/chipped front end and not grind my teeth. So, no white cars for me.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM
PointBy
Instructor

I'm reading this thread. And wondering, any chance to get the clubsport seats and roll bar for a US order and European delivery?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with EU delivery you can only get the specs based on the country you plan on registering the car. In our case it's a US spec car.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by PointBy
I'm reading this thread. And wondering, any chance to get the clubsport seats and roll bar for a US order?
0%

I'm reading this thread. And wondering, any chance to get European delivery?
100%
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
Regardless of the film, regardless of the 'warranty,' it always yellows on white. Xpel Ultimate, VS, on and on and on. My wife's GS has had two Expel Ultimate rewraps in the last two years, the second was due to a bodywork replacement of the front clip. You can see where the old sections are yellowing, and even after a year, you can see the new wrap is yellowing as well.

Same story with regards to a buddy of mines old E92 M3, and on his current GT-R.

While I don't wipe a car down after every drive, I personally could not walk by a pitted/chipped front end and not grind my teeth. So, no white cars for me.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The next thing that comes to mind is that if the film is "yellowing" noticeably on white doesn't that mean it's also dulling to some extent? I'm wondering if even on other colors whether over time the film might take some of the edge off the "deep" highly reflective look that you get with a well maintained and waxed quality paint job. Or am I overthinking this?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what you do or what film you put on it will never look as good as clean paint. After 7 years I finally took it off my Cayman S. Never liked it from day one. The plus is the front end looked brand new after I took it off.. I always wonder if it would be better to just paint the front bumper after a few years.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah they all yellow against white. Unnoticeable on other colors
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by skuplist
No matter what you do or what film you put on it will never look as good as clean paint. After 7 years I finally took it off my Cayman S. Never liked it from day one. The plus is the front end looked brand new after I took it off.. I always wonder if it would be better to just paint the front bumper after a few years.
That's the big question. And I agree with your assessment. Also, stuff is always harder to clean off from clear bras.

But it's awful nice not having stone chips or taping off your car before a track day. The peace of mind is nice.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The next thing that comes to mind is that if the film is "yellowing" noticeably on white doesn't that mean it's also dulling to some extent? I'm wondering if even on other colors whether over time the film might take some of the edge off the "deep" highly reflective look that you get with a well maintained and waxed quality paint job. Or am I overthinking this?
A bra will not polish up as nicely as the rest of the paint, but this may not really be too noticeable depending upon your paint color. I had an E46M3 which was Silver Gray, and you could barely tell it had a bra on it when it was cleaned up, let alone freshly waxed. Conversely, my Jerez E92 was about impossible to keep spotless enough, long enough that you wouldn't notice. Horrible sentence, that last, but I hope you get what I am trying to convey. I think on a GR, you will be able to notice a bra, but personally, I'm ok with that.

Originally Posted by frayed
That's the big question. And I agree with your assessment. Also, stuff is always harder to clean off from clear bras.

But it's awful nice not having stone chips or taping off your car before a track day. The peace of mind is nice.
I've never really had a problem with cleaning bugs or crap off of a bra. You just can't let it bake on all summer

and +1 on track day convenience.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL. Yeah maybe I needed to let the bird poop age.

Clear will never look as good as paint, nor feel as good as paint. But it does take stress out of track days or when you invariably get caught running through a construction zone with debris, or caught behind a big truck with no escape.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
..or when you invariably get caught running through a construction zone with debris, or caught behind a big truck with no escape.
Happens too often down here.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm reading this thread. And wondering, any chance to get the clubsport seats and roll bar for a US order and European delivery?
I would think you can order the parts not installed and ship them separately back the the US.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by roberga
I would think you can order the parts not installed and ship them separately back the the US.
Nope. A US spec car is the same whether euro or US delivery. Ain't gonna happen.

Quick Reply: First Real World Owners Feedback?