Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
1- Regarding the whole wealth thing, well I graduated from university when I was 20, and have been working ever since plus I come from a wealthy family.

2- Where on earth did I say that im after horsepower? I have ENOUGH horsepower in my other cars, the entire purpose of the thread was to ask if I should wait for the RS which will be lighter and have more horsepower thus satisfy my taste better. If I was after horsepower don't you think id go for a turbo, turbo s and modify it? The person who brought up this whole horsepower vs drivers car was the other dude in page one and not me. So basically the argument here was whether I should order the 475hp GT3 or perhaps a 500HP RS, we were talking about a 25hp difference Jeez I never asked for a 1000bhp naturally aspirated GT3...

3- With that said no one ever said that a drivers car has to have as little horsepower as possible, you guys sound like the less the HP the better the car, come on cut me some slack. Yes im sure the other gyt had so much fun with a 120whp So regardless of what has been said, anyone who knows anything about cars knows that ONE OF THE MAJOR decision factors when purchasing a sports car is power to weight ratio.

4- BRZ, GT86, Cayman seriously? I know the Cayman drives nice but its one of those cars I stare back at as I pass to look if its a hot chick driving it (no hard feelings fellas). Im not interested in cute cars they don't fit my personality, I want a beast of a car.

5- Thank you for actually answering my original question which you obviously didn't, had to mention it just incase you don't get my sarcasm.

6- This car will NEVER be driven on a race track. I had a very bad accident more than a few years back on a dragstrip and promised myself not to race again because its not worth the risk, I don't drive recklessly on the streets either. I wont drive a dog on the street and try to beat the **** out of it, heeltoe on deceleration, hit the non existing apex as I fly through a corner and kill a bunch of people just to have "fun" in a slow car, why? Cause its a drivers car and drivers cars have to have no horsepower = perfect logic

7- Assume you have a few billion dollars in your bank account yet you're too stingy to spend any, you still enjoy having the money even if you don't use it. The same goes with cars, even if I don't use my full driving skill, or utilize the vehicles full potential, the fact that I know the vehicle is capable of is IN ITSELF satisfactory, don't tell me you don't know what im talking about. Do all Veyron owners hit 265mph? no. Do they still rave about how fast their cars can do? hell yes.

8- Can you do this with 200hp? I bet you cant.

800bhp supercharged 427 - YouTube

This is a short video of my truck last winter, I hope I don't have to post videos to explain my point of view cause I have a lot, don't bother looking through my youtube account however since most videos are "unlisted".

PS. TomTom, if you try to drive 1200bhp in a rearwheel drive, manual transmission car with instant boost from any RPM lemme know

tata

I'm pretty sure nobody here expected a different response from you. You fell for the bait and took it...

I must be missing something because I'm pretty damn sure that you can...

You might have better luck finding more people like yourself over at 6speedonline.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Like I said,Porsche has achieved their goal,which is attracting more buyers for the new GT3...

Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm pretty sure nobody here expected a different response from you. You fell for the bait and took it...

I must be missing something because I'm pretty damn sure that you can...

You might have better luck finding more people like yourself over at 6speedonline.
I was referring to the video I posted, can you do this with 200hp?

So I basically joined the wrong forum where more horsepower is taboo?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu
Like I said,Porsche has achieved their goal,which is attracting more buyers for the new GT3...

believe it or not they did, for every 1 old customer they loose they'd probably get 3 others.

You guys can hate all you want, I suppose you could also get rid of ABS, power steering, assisted brakes and go against the tide.

to each his own
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Based on what's going on in this thread, that's insulting.....
Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I was referring to the video I posted, can you do this with 200hp?
...yes. You don't need 800hp to kick up dirt....

believe it or not they did, for every 1 old customer they loose they'd probably get 3 others.
Damn you, Chris Harris!!
(skip to 11:30 if you didn't get the joke)

You guys can hate all you want, I suppose you could also get rid of ABS, power steering, assisted brakes and go against the tide.
Wut? Nobody said anything about PDK. Although, according to you, I must be a hot chick since I own both a boxster and a BRZ.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I wasn't into Porsche when the last GT3 came out. Are you telling me that when the last GT3 was first introduced, there weren't any knuckle draggers and car bowlers showing interest?

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Based on what's going on in this thread, that's insulting.....
neanicu may have a point... But hey, IF the car is still well received by track day enthusiasts once it comes out, then whatever....
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I wasn't into Porsche when the last GT3 came out. Are you telling me that when the last GT3 was first introduced, there weren't any knuckle draggers and car bowlers showing interest?

neanicu may have a point... But hey, IF the car is still well received by track day enthusiasts once it comes out, then whatever....
The exception doesn't prove the rule.....I don't think too much can be inferred from what we've witnessed here. Anyway, my original comment was tongue in cheek. Should have included a .
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right. I'll respond. Once. Only to make it more clear that we just have a very different view on cars. Very.

im wondering if I should go for it or wait for the GT3 RS because I don't like second best
If that's what you want, your solution is simple. Get them all, Dubai-style! First get yourself a 991 GT3, which will be the best for a little while. Then swap it for a 991 GT3 RS. Then possible get the 991.2 GT3. But certainly get the 991.2 GT3 RS. And so on. And so on. You made it clear that you have earned yourself the money to do so.

3- With that said no one ever said that a drivers car has to have as little horsepower as possible, you guys sound like the less the HP the better the car, come on cut me some slack. Yes im sure the other gyt had so much fun with a 120whp So regardless of what has been said, anyone who knows anything about cars knows that ONE OF THE MAJOR decision factors when purchasing a sports car is power to weight ratio.
Sure, power to weight is crucial. But if your solution to that is adding huge amounts of horsepower to very heavy cars to get a good ratio, we're clearly talking on different wavelengths. Hence the remark about the Lotus cars by some of us earlier, where their founder Colin Chapman's adage was "Simplify, then add lightness".

4- BRZ, GT86, Cayman seriously? I know the Cayman drives nice but its one of those cars I stare back at as I pass to look if its a hot chick driving it (no hard feelings fellas). Im not interested in cute cars they don't fit my personality, I want a beast of a car.
If you want a beast of car, why do consider a GT3? Or even an RS? It might be my personal opinion, but these are not beasts to me. But delicate, pure and focused driving machines.

7- Assume you have a few billion dollars in your bank account yet you're too stingy to spend any, you still enjoy having the money even if you don't use it. The same goes with cars, even if I don't use my full driving skill, or utilize the vehicles full potential, the fact that I know the vehicle is capable of is IN ITSELF satisfactory, don't tell me you don't know what im talking about. Do all Veyron owners hit 265mph? no. Do they still rave about how fast their cars can do? hell yes.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree here. As often as (safely!) possible, I want to use all my cars' potential, since for me, that's the whole point of buying it to start with! Being that on the track, on deserted mountain roads in the UAE, on the German Autobahn, on the Nurburgring. What's the point of having it otherwise? If I would use my little 1M like a 116i all the time, I might as well get myself one of those. Capabilities unused are capabilities wasted to me, which applies to pretty much everything in life.

And please don't start about Veyron owners. The vast majority (95% or so) of the owners buy that car solely because they can. And because they want to rave and brag about it. Some because they admire the engineering qualities. But almost none because they are real driving enthusiasts. And I'd argue that the people on this forum are. In their / our own little way.

PS. TomTom, if you try to drive 1200bhp in a rearwheel drive, manual transmission car with instant boost from any RPM lemme know
I'll help your case by not responding to this two...
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey ayousef. I think Tom let you off nice. Might be a good time to find another thread now your Rennlist cherry has been popped! Love to hear about your Truck and Camaro on another thread, perhaps on another area of the board...
Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey ayousef. I think Tom let you off nice. Might be a good time to find another thread now your Rennlist cherry has been popped! Love to hear about your Truck and Camaro on another thread, perhaps on another area of the board...
I think the two should take this feud off this thread and on to the sharjah autobahn on which they can race their way (in the car of their choice) to the fujairah mountains and settle this debate once and for all on the twisties. lol!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

First post here and first 911 as well but not new to high performance cars, infact never had a car that made less than 500bhp stock which has me a little concerned already.

So, I have a fully specced GT3 come in at $165k which im supposed to pay the downpayment for on Saturday, so im wondering if I should go for it or wait for the GT3 RS because I don't like second best

The purpose here is pure street driving, yet driving a track oriented car doesn't really scare me or bother me either.

Suggestions?
Always nice to see a potential first time GT3 owner! Takes me back down memory lane before I bought my first 911. (I was once blind, but now I can see!)

Nothing worse then waiting as life is short.
A RS is worth waiting for, however if you have nothing else to fill the void, then yes, get the GT3 now. (not sure what else you may have in the garage)
If you have the money, then trade in the GT3 as soon as the RS arrives.
You are young, so if you like the 991GT3 you will really like the 991RS!

The new Turbo is fast and all that. But I think you are looking for a new experience. A high reving normally aspirated thrill is what you seek. The street going version of the motorsport car.

If you do get a GT3, and you end up really liking it, you will likely end up a porsche nut. Perhaps even a track junkie like so many of us become with these damn things

Sure there are other cars and for more money. But the 911GT3 delivers the goods at any price. It is fun to drive.
Always nice to see new interest in the GT3 as the legend has grown quite a bit since 1999.

For the ulitmate driver's car you could look into a Singer 911, but alas that is getting off topic.....
Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I wasn't into Porsche when the last GT3 came out. Are you telling me that when the last GT3 was first introduced, there weren't any knuckle draggers and car bowlers showing interest? .
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Why is this thread still open?......
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

I think your video says it all. You should wait and buy the Turbo S or wait for the GT2. The GT3 simply will not have the tq to suit your taste in cars.

The GT3 is a low tq car. And the difference in hp b/t the gt3 and the gt3 RS will be close to impossible to feel by the driver and only an instrumented test will show the difference in 25 hp, a mere 5% delta likely due to freer breathing intake/exhaust and software modifications.

Quick Reply: Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?