Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
yup, and dont forget to add taxes and fees!

I bet a nicely specced RS would be in the hi $100k.

Oh what the hell, F it. Just get a 918. 900hp right?
if only I hadn't spent soo much money in the very near past on cars then that would have been possible
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

deleted
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
What drew you to the GT3?
for starters I wanted something different, and with all the super high hp cars I had, you could break every speed limit known to man in 2 seconds, not so much fun if you ask me, so im more into a drivers car right now, chasing driving pleasure rather than numbers, even though numbers ARE important.

For example:

This is the engine bay of my 2013 Camaro ZL1, took a year to build makes 1200bhp but weighs 4200lbs (if im lucky). The Porsches curb weight is interesting taking into consideration the new technologies they had to ADD.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
if only I hadn't spent soo much money in the very near past on cars then that would have been possible
Dubai? Young AND Wealthy? (just yanking your chain sorry!)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macca
Please dont buy a Porsche. If the lowest BHP car youve ever owned is 500 you are either very young or very wealthy and the GT3 may only disappoint. I think also the RS as it will be "only" about 500 bhp and much more expensive the the base GT3. I would suggest 918 or the new Corvette dependent on whether you are very young or very wealthy LOL!

P.S. Please also vote on the % Personal Net Wealth Thread
im 28, not sure if that makes me very young? I dunno if im very wealthy either I guess not however lol
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

28 is young. And you must be wealthy. I was still at school till I was 22! That supercharged Camaro is a Work of Art! However a Porsche will handle as well as go fast.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok i definitely think you should get a turbo s!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think Veyron would be perfect company for that 1200 BHP Camaro
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but the fact that you want a drivers car but must have high HP too tells me you don't know what you want. After living in Dubai for 6 years, I could take a very educated guess, but since I could be terribly wrong based on many prejudices (based on "28-year olds who could have owned a 918 if they would have spend their car money differently") and I don't know you, I won't.

Your opening statement is very ambiguous. Drivers cars mostly have nothing to do with horsepower. In many cases, on the contrary, actually. As DrJay mentioned earlier, get yourself a Lotus Elise (Lotus will finally get an importer in the UAE again, so nothing is stopping you there) and you should have a blast learning to drive it fast. Not being able to count on high power and torque to compensate for possible driving mistakes. Experiencing the purity in the translation of your inputs on wheels and pedals into the car's movements. It's magical. I started with an Elise too, about 10 years ago. And never regretted it.

Please allow me my prediction in case you would do that: you will hate the Elise. Detest it, even! Because you think it's slow. Because it's bare to the bones inside. And because it isn't the latest and greatest our there. Which tells you that real driving cars aren't for you. That you want insane amounts of horsepower to trump your friends' toys and go really fast in a straight line. And don't care about corners.

BTW, instead of the Elise, you can also try a Cayman or a Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ too... but that most likely won't alter the outcome though.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 794 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
You should wait for an RS. Will be the best Porsche you can buy until the next iteration. GT3 will be better street car, a bit softer, but the RS will be the top of the 911 pryamid, but not the most expensive 911.

Go back to your dealer - make a deal for GT3 and an RS - get the GT3, drive for a year or so and when the RS comes in decide if it is time for something new, if so you have an RS waiting for you and a dealer loving the opportunity to take your GT3 back for the next guy.
That's what I'm doing.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Sorry, but the fact that you want a drivers car but must have high HP too tells me you don't know what you want. After living in Dubai for 6 years, I could take a very educated guess, but since I could be terribly wrong based on many prejudices (based on "28-year olds who could have owned a 918 if they would have spend their car money differently") and I don't know you, I won't.

Your opening statement is very ambiguous. Drivers cars mostly have nothing to do with horsepower. In many cases, on the contrary, actually. As DrJay mentioned earlier, get yourself a Lotus Elise (Lotus will finally get an importer in the UAE again, so nothing is stopping you there) and you should have a blast learning to drive it fast. Not being able to count on high power and torque to compensate for possible driving mistakes. Experiencing the purity in the translation of your inputs on wheels and pedals into the car's movements. It's magical. I started with an Elise too, about 10 years ago. And never regretted it.

Please allow me my prediction in case you would do that: you will hate the Elise. Detest it, even! Because you think it's slow. Because it's bare to the bones inside. And because it isn't the latest and greatest our there. Which tells you that real driving cars aren't for you. That you want insane amounts of horsepower to trump your friends' toys and go really fast in a straight line. And don't care about corners.

BTW, instead of the Elise, you can also try a Cayman or a Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ too... but that most likely won't alter the outcome though.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
You should wait for an RS. Will be the best Porsche you can buy until the next iteration. GT3 will be better street car, a bit softer, but the RS will be the top of the 911 pryamid, but not the most expensive 911.

Go back to your dealer - make a deal for GT3 and an RS - get the GT3, drive for a year or so and when the RS comes in decide if it is time for something new, if so you have an RS waiting for you and a dealer loving the opportunity to take your GT3 back for the next guy.
Hmmm not a bad idea Might cost me half of my net worth though and I'd have to change my poll in the net worth thread....
Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Drivers cars mostly have nothing to do with horsepower. In many cases, on the contrary, actually.

<snip>

Not being able to count on high power and torque to compensate for possible driving mistakes. Experiencing the purity in the translation of your inputs on wheels and pedals into the car's movements. It's magical.
+1

I've been down the horsepower road owning a Hemi Charger, Mercedes E63 AMG, Corvette Z06, Corvette ZR1. One might argue that the Z06 and ZR1 handle well, but I wouldn't call them driver's cars.

After going to the three day Level 1 Driving School at Spring Mountain, (I highly recommend anyone into driving take a school somewhere, at least once) I got hooked on handling and the track. A year ago I bought a Spec Miata for a dedicated, caged track car - all of 122 hp at the wheels, it's all about momentum. It teaches you that good driving regardless of horsepower is all about car control and momentum.

Currently own a '12 Cayman R and looking forward to picking up a '14 GT3 in the summer.

Ryan
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 PM
ayousef
Advanced

sh*t, I wrote a very long response to some of the smart asses on the forum and the browser crashed no problem explanation coming soon...
Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
ayousef
Advanced

1- Regarding the whole wealth thing, well I graduated from university when I was 20, and have been working ever since plus I come from a wealthy family.

2- Where on earth did I say that im after horsepower? I have ENOUGH horsepower in my other cars, the entire purpose of the thread was to ask if I should wait for the RS which will be lighter and have more horsepower thus satisfy my taste better. If I was after horsepower don't you think id go for a turbo, turbo s and modify it? The person who brought up this whole horsepower vs drivers car was the other dude in page one and not me. So basically the argument here was whether I should order the 475hp GT3 or perhaps a 500HP RS, we were talking about a 25hp difference Jeez I never asked for a 1000bhp naturally aspirated GT3...

3- With that said no one ever said that a drivers car has to have as little horsepower as possible, you guys sound like the less the HP the better the car, come on cut me some slack. Yes im sure the other gyt had so much fun with a 120whp So regardless of what has been said, anyone who knows anything about cars knows that ONE OF THE MAJOR decision factors when purchasing a sports car is power to weight ratio.

4- BRZ, GT86, Cayman seriously? I know the Cayman drives nice but its one of those cars I stare back at as I pass to look if its a hot chick driving it (no hard feelings fellas). Im not interested in cute cars they don't fit my personality, I want a beast of a car.

5- Thank you for actually answering my original question which you obviously didn't, had to mention it just incase you don't get my sarcasm.

6- This car will NEVER be driven on a race track. I had a very bad accident more than a few years back on a dragstrip and promised myself not to race again because its not worth the risk, I don't drive recklessly on the streets either. I wont drive a dog on the street and try to beat the **** out of it, heeltoe on deceleration, hit the non existing apex as I fly through a corner and kill a bunch of people just to have "fun" in a slow car, why? Cause its a drivers car and drivers cars have to have no horsepower = perfect logic

7- Assume you have a few billion dollars in your bank account yet you're too stingy to spend any, you still enjoy having the money even if you don't use it. The same goes with cars, even if I don't use my full driving skill, or utilize the vehicles full potential, the fact that I know the vehicle is capable of is IN ITSELF satisfactory, don't tell me you don't know what im talking about. Do all Veyron owners hit 265mph? no. Do they still rave about how fast their cars can do? hell yes.

8- Can you do this with 200hp? I bet you cant.

This is a short video of my truck last winter, I hope I don't have to post videos to explain my point of view cause I have a lot, don't bother looking through my youtube account however since most videos are "unlisted".

PS. TomTom, if you try to drive 1200bhp in a rearwheel drive, manual transmission car with instant boost from any RPM lemme know

tata

Quick Reply: Jump on the bandwagon or wait for the RS?