Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Seems a week doesn't go by without a few of us accusing Mike of being on the Porsche payroll.

I guess we'll never really know.
I don't think so. Every post pushes me once inch closer to concluding I'm not the target market.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Seems a week doesn't go by without a few of us accusing Mike of being on the Porsche payroll.

I guess we'll never really know.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sounds like a personnel problem....
Fixed it
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 366 Likes on 222 Posts

" We at Porsche like to shift manually,but we also like to be fast. On the track lap times are very important! "... says a Porsche engineer,according to Motor Trend.
Fully agreed!!!

What the Porsche engineer doesn't know is that on an enthusiast forum,where there's the biggest chance to find people that will track their cars,the anonymous vote,that puts no pressure of revealing one's identity,came back looking like this :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-new-gt3.html.

Porsche is stating that 80% of their GT customers track their cars,I say 80% of their enthusiast clients will use this car primarily on the street! A lot of new GT3 customers do not visit this forum,some might belong to the C&C crowd,some simply buy it for the hell of it! Guess where they'll primarily drive the car...

Also,the Porsche engineer should wonder...what do GT customers prefer in terms of transmission... Well,let's see...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ease-vote.html
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Fixed it
hahaha
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
... What the Porsche engineer doesn't know is that on an enthusiast forum,where there's the biggest chance to find people that will track their cars, the anonymous vote, that puts no pressure of revealing one's identity, came back looking like this :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-new-gt3.html.

Porsche is stating that 80% of their GT customers track their cars, I say 80% of their enthusiast clients will use this car primarily on the street! ...
The rennlist poll indicates that 98.2% of the respondents will use their 991 GT3 on the street.

That same rennlist poll indicates that 80.5% of the respondents will use their 991 GT3 on the track (57.5% some track use + 21.2% heavy track use + 1.8% only track use).

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Remember - there are lies, damn lies, and statistics!
You could take a poll and prove the world was flat if you wanted.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Porsche is stating that 80% of their GT customers track their cars,I say 80% of their enthusiast clients will use this car primarily on the street!
Does Porsche say that 80% of customers primarily track their cars or just that 80% track them? Point is, both you and they could be right.....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 366 Likes on 222 Posts

You guys might have missed the point...
The key word here is primarily.
This is a STREET CAR.
You can only be fast on the street up to a point...
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I would add this for the "ZOMG PDK HALF LENGTH PER SHIFT!!!" guys.

Two evenly accelerating cars, one guy who knows how to shift pretty darn well, and other than a slight negligible jump on his 2nd-3rd shift, there is nothing but a battle of power curves, gearing and aero.

I haven't driven a gen V, but the rest of the Vipers have dump truck shifters that are heavy and slower than those on the Porsche's.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite porsche's marketing claims about acceleration advantages with pdk, to me the advantage is downshifting not upshifting. I could care less about the 'half car length' upshifting.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

You mean the ease of it?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right. Computer controlled perfect rev matching in manual or auto mode, and perfect shift points at the right rpm in auto mode. Whether these are good things, are obviously hotly debatable.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Despite porsche's marketing claims about acceleration advantages with pdk, to me the advantage is downshifting not upshifting. I could care less about the 'half car length' upshifting.
I disagree, upshifts are as important as downshifts.

Take TWS Clockwise:

Turn 6-5, I'm in 5th (because I ran out of 4th) going to 6, I have to downshift 2 gears into third, then just before track out on 5th, I have get into 4th - that is the fastest way through there. The problem is upshifting to 4th at 1g lateral load - you can do it, and it's fun, but it's dangerous. Now I leave it in 4th through 6 and 5. I've looked at the data, and I end up a bit slower than the two shift strategy that provides more energy.

Then, I run out of 3rd going to turn 3, but it's only for 50 yards, and generally not worth shifting, because the time it takes to upshift, then down shift, eats those 50 yards. If I could stay on the gas, I think there is 2-3mph more before you need to brake into 3. I've tried short shifting into 4th before I run out of rpm, but it's typically slower.

With a PDK, you wouldn't care about those shifts - instant and trouble free. If I were awesome with manual shifting, I could probably accomplish the same, but I'm not there yet. The whole point for me is to get to that level with a manual, which is why I'm not interested in a PDK right now (after having lived with one for 10 years in various M cars).
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed
Right. Computer controlled perfect rev matching in manual or auto mode, and perfect shift points at the right rpm in auto mode. Whether these are good things, are obviously hotly debatable.
I don't think there is any debate, it's certainly a good thing to have a perfect rev match. Certainly it helps with transmission longevity. Beneficial for speed is the question. We've seen videos of Kluck hustle some cars around a track very fast with zero rev matching.

I have had some poorer, jerkier downshifts and times where I've missed completely in turns that I've done probably 1000 times by now and from my data, doesn't seem to cost me any time.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I disagree, upshifts are as important as downshifts.

Take TWS Clockwise:

Turn 6-5, I'm in 5th (because I ran out of 4th) going to 6, I have to downshift 2 gears into third, then just before track out on 5th, I have get into 4th - that is the fastest way through there. The problem is upshifting to 4th at 1g lateral load - you can do it, and it's fun, but it's dangerous. Now I leave it in 4th through 6 and 5. I've looked at the data, and I end up a bit slower than the two shift strategy that provides more energy.

Then, I run out of 3rd going to turn 3, but it's only for 50 yards, and generally not worth shifting, because the time it takes to upshift, then down shift, eats those 50 yards. If I could stay on the gas, I think there is 2-3mph more before you need to brake into 3. I've tried short shifting into 4th before I run out of rpm, but it's typically slower.

With a PDK, you wouldn't care about those shifts - instant and trouble free. If I were awesome with manual shifting, I could probably accomplish the same, but I'm not there yet. The whole point for me is to get to that level with a manual, which is why I'm not interested in a PDK right now (after having lived with one for 10 years in various M cars).
This is a good point, there are certain points on some tracks where you are just better off skipping a shift because of time between next shift. Usually happens when your gearing isn't great for a particular track or turn. But that could be either up or down.

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs