Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Speed, efficiency, and getting better is what I look for. Could be the reason why most race cars are no longer manual.

Outside of F1, exactly which race cars are you talking about? NASCAR? Trans-Am? F2000 series? Formula Mazda? SCCA? MX-5 Cup?

The majority of actual race cars being driven in actual pro or semi pro racing series' on any given weekend are still manual. Lots of them are sequential, to be sure, but still manual. Don't let your PCA experience lead you to assume that the rest of the world drives DCTs....
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

The 6-speed manual is a great transmission for the Porsche 911 GT3 and GT3 RS...

...and can certainly be driven fast enough to pick up a morning coffee...

...how do you like your coffee?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wanna put the go fast track pipe down for a moment, appreciate the fact that you aren't making a living driving your de-contented, homebrew turbo for money and pick up a drink/blend/strain of your choice and chill.

So much anger. WTF.

"It's just a car."
Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just so you guys see how a proper manual should be driven. Now imagine the 991GT3 with a manual transmission in his hands. Do you want to bet the PDK-S will be so much faster and that the driver doesn't count anymore?
Nick, it's clear wanna911 is a skilled amateur (assumption as to his status) and knows how to drive. He is fast with a MT. Hurley and the instructors at Porsche experience are fast too, and they along with others say they are even faster with PDK. When you suggest wanna911 wouldn't be, it raises the question of; why not?

Just to be clear, for the hundredth time, I get why being faster may not matter to some because they want to exercise their shifting skills, But to deny that a DCT box like PDK-S that is designed to perform like a sequential wouldn't make any difference defies logic.

And when has anyone on either side of this topic, outside of people theorizing about future Google-racers, ever said that the driver doesn't count anymore? This discussion is contentious enough without suggesting answers to questions nobody has asked.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Nothing like the internet to inflate egos. Everyone is a Walter Roehl, Hurley Haywood or David Murry.

Tell me do you drive around in your MT car wearing a helmet, flame suit and gloves motioning to other drivers LOOK AT ME I AM A TRACK PERSON AND I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A MT.

It really is sad when you think about it. Most of the MT advocates actually believe they are great drivers compared to the rest of the Porsche owners. What a joke.
It's always a gamble when you try to call someone out that you don't know.... (hint, his videos have been posted before)

Originally Posted by wanna911
Let's see some videos then Nick so you can show us how good of a driver you are. An offer I have extended many times to the PDK schmack talkers only to come up empty every time. Looking for PDK to save them from the depths of the moving chicane cup.
While you're a great driver, please don't assume that anyone who has a PDK can't be a great driver as well. Videos have been posted of great drivers who rival your skill level in PDK equipped cars. Those drivers just haven't bothered to step into the fray.

This is wanna911

NARRA VIR 2013 Saturday on Vimeo

Just so you guys see how a proper manual should be driven.
Now imagine the 991GT3 with a manual transmission in his hands. Do you want to bet the PDK-S will be so much faster and that the driver doesn't count anymore?

LOL! I love it when someone gets called out. Wanna911 will be even faster in a PDK equipped car. Whether or not he wants to like the transmission is his prerogative.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, it's pretty clear wanna911 is a skilled amateur and knows how to drive. He is fast with a MT. Hurley and the instructors at Porsche experience are fast too, and they along with others say they are even faster with PDK. When you suggest wanna911 wouldn't be, it raises the question of; why not?

Just to be clear, for the hundredth time, I get why being faster may not matter to some because they want to exercise their shifting skills, But to deny that a DCT box like PDK-S that is designed to perform like a sequential wouldn't make any difference defies logic.

And when has anyone on either side of this topic, outside of people theorizing about future Google-racers, ever said that the driver doesn't count anymore? This discussion is confused enough without suggesting answers to questions nobody has asked.
Mike, two kinds of people decry the PDK.

1. Those who are fast on track and a good portion of that has to do with their mastery of the MT. These guys never spin due to a flogged downshift. Their ********* shrink a bit knowing that that part of going fast has just been removed from the equation.

2. Those who miss the engagement of the manual.

Or a combination of the two.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I just love this thread! Way more drama and really important issues than my wife's soap operas I've had to suffer through this weekend! I'm not sure whether I am one of the world's greatest drivers because I have a 2010 GT3 or one of the worst because I have a 991 GT3 on order.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I just love this thread! Way more drama and really important issues than my wife's soap operas I've had to suffer through this weekend! I'm not sure whether I am one of the world's greatest drivers because I have a 2010 GT3 or one of the worst because I have a 991 GT3 on order.
From the cheap seats I'm pretty confident that the answer is yes.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed
Mike, two kinds of people decry the PDK.

1. Those who are fast on track and a good portion of that has to do with their mastery of the MT. These guys never spin due to a flogged downshift. Their ********* shrink a bit knowing that that part of going fast has just been removed from the equation.

2. Those who miss the engagement of the manual.

Or a combination of the two.
Agree with above, but just to keep it real, there is also:

3. Those who think they are 1., but really aren't and have no clue.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Agree with above, but just to keep it real, there is also:

3. Those who think they are 1., but really aren't and have no clue.
Fair enough. I'll restate.

3. Those who use a MT as an excuse to be slow. And their ********* shrink a bit too with the introduction of the PDK in porsche's new track star. See 1 above.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

When you suggest wanna911 wouldn't be, it raises the question of; why not?

Mike,you misunderstood my point.

It's already established that a GT3 equipped with a PDK-S will be faster than that same GT3 with the same driver equipped with a Manual. But the question that might never be answered is how much faster? A skilled driver like Wanna911(you can clearly see it in the video) might not be that much slower rowing gears,in fact I'm pretty sure this won't be the case.
So the conspiracy theory might in fact be true,that a Manual 991GT3 could only be 1 or 2 s slower than a PDK-S equipped car around the same track. So what's the advantage of PDK-S?

1) More customers for the new car that couldn't have it in Manual.
2) Faster 0-60 times to keep up with the GT-R.
3) No money shift...less money spent on warranty claims.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

only be 1 or 2 s slower than a PDK-S equipped car around the same track. So what's the advantage of PDK-S?
Uhh... 2 seconds is pretty significant around the tracks I frequent around here... It's no small feat to gain 2 seconds if the driver knows what he is doing.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick, it's clear wanna911 is a skilled amateur (assumption as to his status) and knows how to drive. He is fast with a MT. Hurley and the instructors at Porsche experience are fast too, and they along with others say they are even faster with PDK. When you suggest wanna911 wouldn't be, it raises the question of; why not?

And when has anyone on either side of this topic, outside of people theorizing about future Google-racers, ever said that the driver doesn't count anymore? This discussion is contentious enough without suggesting answers to questions nobody has asked.
Mike: life is short enough... unless this debate is fun and you poke the "real" drivers just for the sport of it. save your fingers.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Same conclusion I came to!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Same conclusion I came to!
Ditto.

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs