Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread is very emotional
Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 PM
sidicks
Advanced

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
LOL.....classic
For the reasons explained previously - sorry if this is difficult for you to understand!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
what's this about a fake redline??
Hey S'n'B. Max HP is at 8250 (I believe), so some say a 9000 redline is more marketing than performance, I call it overrev and sick.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Hey S'n'B. Max HP is at 8250 (I believe), so some say a 9000 redline is more marketing than performance, I call it overrev and sick.
Exactly.

.2's redline was 8500 yet power fell off @ 7800 iircc.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

3.8 435@7600
3.8 RS 450@7900
4.0 RS 500@8250
Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Gotcha!

If the wheel torque from 8250-9000 is higher than the next gear, then it's useful - right?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Some of you guys are missing a point here. Some of us want a new 991 GT3. But we want it with manual. When Porsche decided not to offer it with manual, they effectively said fk you to a large number of people who love what the company was about for decades. That's sad.

I drove a student's 1989 Carrera on track today. No power steering, no ABS, no other aids, 5-sp stick, air-cooled. Not one of the faster cars out there, but totally engaging, a blast to drive. Fantastic.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Some of you guys are missing a point here. Some of us want a new 991 GT3. But we want it with manual. When Porsche decided not to offer it with manual, they effectively said fk you to a large number of people who love what the company was about for decades. That's sad.

I drove a student's 1989 Carrera on track today. No power steering, no ABS, no other aids, 5-sp stick, air-cooled. Not one of the faster cars out there, but totally engaging, a blast to drive. Fantastic.
I don't think anyone has missed this (in the seemingly endless threads devoted to the topic). I want a manual too, but the car doesn't have one. Can we move on now?

Fortunately there will be 1989 Carreras, or my Spyder for that matter, in the garage next to the modern interpretation of the 911. I don't know if the new car will be great yet, and neither does anyone else. Let's wait and see with an open mind and some optimism.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:36 AM
pmpsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this thread is very emotional
+1 Very true

Observation -> If you were to strip all forum discussions (since the launch of the 991 gt3) from the comments of typical A3/C2s/CayenneS owners who are posing as authorities on GT3 matters without for some reason having owned and driven one because they have ordered one, this website would be less emotional.

Might be a clash of old GT3 owners typical profile versus emerging ones but have to admit reading the comments of some of them is a pain. As such I sadly ended up ignoring such inputs. No offense, just my opinion which seems to be shared by some.

-991 GT3 looks like a great car for a certain purpose
-MT gives you a degree of involvement you cannot reach with an AT (one dimension is gone, the rest still exists with MT)
-Porsche's decision makes sense for some but is questionable for others...no way denying it

My 997.2 RS is appreciating because of Porsche's decision and I can only be thankful at my own micro level
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You knock me for what you call "thinly veiled insults", you proudly make "black and white" ones out in the open, yet you call me the hypocrite. Whatever.

That's a good one, Dez. You are probably the person least tolerant of opposing viewpoints to your own, of anyone who posts on this forum.

You're entitled to your biased POV, AP is entitled to his biased one, I'm entitled to a biased POV too. Everyone gets to believe what they choose framed by their own motives and experiences. In about 4 months I'll have a new 991 GT3 in my garage and I'll get to draw my own meaningful conclusions as to whether AP is genuine or just a salesman. All the speculation will become irrelevant background noise. I know you usually need the last word, so knock yourself out.
Funny how you get creative with the use of a word when it suits your purpose. My point is that you do the same thing I do, you just disguise it and try to act like you are trying to have civil discussion. Nothing hypocritical about pointing out two contrasts in styles.

False, YOU are the person most intolerant regarding others POV. This is clearly evident by any thread/post that could be perceived as negative towards the GT3 littered with your counter points. Almost every single post that could be perceived as negative has a response from you. My words are stronger, but that does not nearly account for the shear mass of counter-arguments you are sending out. We could tally them up and I'd bet you have more than everyone else here combined.

How about allow a thread (like this one, as there will be more) to go without you posting in it........ Bet you can't do it. I understand that many people are extremely excited about this car, which is why I have not started a single thread in this section (as I don't have much good to say) and I'm not stalking every thread to find something negative to post. I keep my comments to a few threads. Would be fewer if I wasn't annoyed by your incessant defense of every single post that you don't agree with.

We have the proof right here in front of us. All it takes is a few clicks.

Originally Posted by sidicks
1. How much have you driven the PDK-S? Plus of course 'involvement' is highly subjective and what is considered 'involving' for one person may be less so for others - why is your opinion so important?

2. It doesn't mean that Porsche couldn't make it work, just that the time and budget required to develop an alternative solution wasn't considered appropriate.
1) How much have you driven PDK-S? It's not my opinion that I'm talking about. It's the opinion of the same heralded journalists that have not agreed. They still want a manual.

I didn't say my opinion was important, did I?

2) Or that Porsche didn't want to make it work because they wanted to have only PDK in the car. POV, or willingness vs non willingness to buy what the guy most responsible for the success of the car has to say as if his intent/words serve any purpose other than doing his job to sell cars.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Alois, are you reading this? You've got a great opportunity, built your own version of the GT3 at a decent price and you'll make some people happy.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree, but fixed it....
Nope, your adjustment of Nizer's comment definitely broke it... There are a few journalists strengthening our concerns by making comments but there are many current owners unimpressed... They've just gotten sick and tired of repeating themselves
Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
I don't think anyone has missed this (in the seemingly endless threads devoted to the topic). I want a manual too, but the car doesn't have one. Can we move on now?

Fortunately there will be 1989 Carreras, or my Spyder for that matter, in the garage next to the modern interpretation of the 911. I don't know if the new car will be great yet, and neither does anyone else. Let's wait and see with an open mind and some optimism.
I don't think we should 'move on'. Better to keep complaining, hoping that Porsche will eventually see the light and put a good manual in the GT3. When prominent journalists say the car has something missing without manual, that reinforces the concern and adds to the pressure on Porsche to fix this.

I expect that the 991 GT3 will be great, but it would be considerably greater for many people if it came with manual.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't think we should 'move on'. Better to keep complaining, hoping that Porsche will eventually see the light and put a good manual in the GT3.
No doubt Porsche is reading this forum but a more constructive protest would be a FB petition, get a big number of backers and push the press to pick it up. I'd sign it, might be a better wronged feelings outlet than the acting out we get here. The Onion could lead with...

Slushbox Only GT3: Amish Boycott and Rally against Porsche, 991 Convertible Overturned Dentist Still Trapped Inside.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

No doubt Porsche is reading this forum but a more constructive protest would be a FB petition, get a big number of backers and push the press to pick it up. I'd sign it, might be a better wronged feelings outlet than the sort of acting out we get here.
Agreed.

While I'm a prospective 991 GT3 owner and am very excited about the car overall, and cautiously optimistic about the PDK, I'd sign the petition. This will be my first DCT car after having rejected them in the past, so a MT car would be a lot less risk for me.

But I'm not going to whine about it incessantly and rennlist. Seems as productive as this guy:

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs