Sponsored by:

Oct issue of EVO magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

No tips. Got it.
Not that flexible, ill be pretending to work ;-)
All go back to follow up early next year and I should be able to visit more cool places.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and speed limits are heavily policed.
remember they are in km/h, not mp/h....!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

aussie jimmy, at the Monterey Historics today there was a lovely medium gray 356 with a boxing kangaroo logo sponsored by Ron Goodman out of Sydney. Anyone you know or know of? I took pics but have no way upload them at the moment.....
Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Did you get to see the 991 GT3 in the flesh? What were your thoughts?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Macca, I did see the white car that ToyGuy posted pics of in another recent thread. They had it up on an inclined stand at the Porsche Zentrum test drive event and for a significant amount of time I was the only one there and was able to peer into and under the car without interference.

Having the car up on a stand made it easier to see the undercarriage but didn't do much to show off it's stance but still, to me, the car just looks perfectly proportioned. Every line on the car looks right and the wider bodywork gives it an aggressive appearance without the more bulbous look, especially at the rear, of the super-wide new TT. The car isn't flashy, particularly in white; it just looks purposeful. I wish I could talk myself into spending the extra $9K+ for the PCCB's as they look tremendous inside those wheels but I will have to console myself with the "normal" brakes. The under-tray and rear diffuser appear to be aluminum and look very slick (literally and figuratively) relative to the black plastic underbody parts on my 997.2 Carrera. Just like the current GT cars, the cockpit is understated and businesslike. IMO the interior features specific to the 991, like the center console and deeper dash do nothing to detract from that.

After doing my test drive in a Cayenne Diesel (impressive car), I came back to look at the GT3 again and this time one of the Porsche people had let a dealer rep from New Jersey get in the car and start it up. He blipped the throttle a few times and it sounded great as I was walking up but he shut it down before I could get close enough to ask him to open the exhaust baffles to hear what that sounded like. We talked for a while about how difficult it was to find cars and he confirmed that the several dealerships he represented had quite a number of customers who wanted cars and couldn't get them. He was hopeful, but not convinced, that Porsche would find a way to increase production to meet demand.

Like most of us who are interested in the 991 GT3, I've seen just about every photo out there so viewing the car in the "flesh" didn't reveal many secrets. One thing I confirmed for myself was that while the additional interior leather package on the dash, with it's deviating stitching is very nice (the white car had it), the full leather interior without the extra dash top leather, which I saw on a 991 Carrera, doesn't look cheap in any way so I feel more comfortable with my decision not to spend the extra $1800 USD on that extra leather option.

Bottom line, seeing the car for real just confirmed every positive I'd seen in the pictures. It's going to be really hard waiting for this thing to show up.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Thanks for sharing the experience. Unfortunately the first look I get of the car will be picking it up!

Those PCCBs are lovely but like you I cant justify the extra spend. Im also happy with my interior leather choice and glad you have confirmed it. I will be removing the "Porsche" lettering promptly however for a less clutteredl ook and zero dollar upgrade and having white vinyl wrap applied to the rear of those standard seats until the buckets are available.

Lastly, I agree with you the width of the rear looks just right. They spoilt the lines of the TT IMHO going too wide and square...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Those are some exotic locations, mate!
I can't say I've lived in all those cities, but I've woken up in all except Newcastle without knowing where I was or how I got there. I'd suggest Bathurst long before Newcastle. Great Ocean Road, Torquay and Bells Beach rather than Bendigo and Ballarat. Get to Warrnambool and have a burger at Kermond's, then back along the coast to Melbourne and Phillip Island. Just don't try to tip anyone except the taxi drivers. : )
Having grown up along the Great Ocean Road...would be a miss if you venture Down Under and fail to avail yourself of its sights....and sensations

An early morning run ...ahead of sunrise....down to Lorne...grab a coffee as the sun blesses the sea.....and just let....the ..........pulse...........slow

Backdropped by the engine ticking down...

Strongly recommend.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm coming to check it out in October.
Driving Sydney, New Castle, Brisbane, Canberra, Bendigo, Ballarat, Melbourne, back to Sydney
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No tips. Got it.
Not that flexible, ill be pretending to work ;-)
All go back to follow up early next year and I should be able to visit more cool places.
Get to Tasmania for Australia's best driving roads.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
aussie jimmy, at the Monterey Historics today there was a lovely medium gray 356 with a boxing kangaroo logo sponsored by Ron Goodman out of Sydney. Anyone you know or know of? I took pics but have no way upload them at the moment.....
yeah, know of him. he got 5 or 6 porsche.
runs a big panel-beating shop and is totally 356-mad.
he ran a couple of outlaws at the rennsport event recently and he had some guests come out from the u.s. to drive them.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Having grown up along the Great Ocean Road...would be a miss if you venture Down Under and fail to avail yourself of its sights....and sensations

An early morning run ...ahead of sunrise....down to Lorne...grab a coffee as the sun blesses the sea.....and just let....the ..........pulse...........slow

Strongly recommend.
Small world!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
yeah, know of him. he got 5 or 6 porsche.
runs a big panel-beating shop and is totally 356-mad.
he ran a couple of outlaws at the rennsport event recently and he had some guests come out from the u.s. to drive them.
Yes, spoke with him as he was prepping between events. He'd done well and was competitive at the front of the pack. Hell of an effort to bring a car literally half way around the planet -- he obviously loving every minute of it. Some great stories in the paddock this weekend. I could skip Pebble and Quail and everything in-between, but Laguna and the historics are where people really experience these cars.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

here is one of his cars
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S

Strongly recommend.
Pete will be on a pretty tight schedule but if he has a morning to spare, I intend to make this happen for him!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,235 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Macca, I did see the white car that ToyGuy posted pics of in another recent thread. They had it up on an inclined stand at the Porsche Zentrum test drive event and for a significant amount of time I was the only one there and was able to peer into and under the car without interference.

Having the car up on a stand made it easier to see the undercarriage but didn't do much to show off it's stance but still, to me, the car just looks perfectly proportioned. Every line on the car looks right and the wider bodywork gives it an aggressive appearance without the more bulbous look, especially at the rear, of the super-wide new TT. The car isn't flashy, particularly in white; it just looks purposeful. I wish I could talk myself into spending the extra $9K+ for the PCCB's as they look tremendous inside those wheels but I will have to console myself with the "normal" brakes. The under-tray and rear diffuser appear to be aluminum and look very slick (literally and figuratively) relative to the black plastic underbody parts on my 997.2 Carrera. Just like the current GT cars, the cockpit is understated and businesslike. IMO the interior features specific to the 991, like the center console and deeper dash do nothing to detract from that.

After doing my test drive in a Cayenne Diesel (impressive car), I came back to look at the GT3 again and this time one of the Porsche people had let a dealer rep from New Jersey get in the car and start it up. He blipped the throttle a few times and it sounded great as I was walking up but he shut it down before I could get close enough to ask him to open the exhaust baffles to hear what that sounded like. We talked for a while about how difficult it was to find cars and he confirmed that the several dealerships he represented had quite a number of customers who wanted cars and couldn't get them. He was hopeful, but not convinced, that Porsche would find a way to increase production to meet demand.

Like most of us who are interested in the 991 GT3, I've seen just about every photo out there so viewing the car in the "flesh" didn't reveal many secrets. One thing I confirmed for myself was that while the additional interior leather package on the dash, with it's deviating stitching is very nice (the white car had it), the full leather interior without the extra dash top leather, which I saw on a 991 Carrera, doesn't look cheap in any way so I feel more comfortable with my decision not to spend the extra $1800 USD on that extra leather option.

Bottom line, seeing the car for real just confirmed every positive I'd seen in the pictures. It's going to be really hard waiting for this thing to show up.
What do you think about those shiny fake-aluminium parts on the doors and cupholder cover panel? I am not a huge fan based on photos and the way they look in standard 991, so was thinking about replacing them with leather-covered or carbon-fiber ones. But on the other hand, leather-covered ones can make the interior even more understated and probably bland? CF seems to be a good compromise but given that it's also fake-ish and previous gens had durabilty issues, I'm not sure about it either, especially given the price...

Right now leaning towards stock or leather-covered.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Mike in CA, so the way I see it, I can either go with a $135k car (just front lift), or a $148k car with leather and stereo and deviated stitching etc. this would be my first new Porsche and I'm torn between a base car just for performance, and a nice car which has beautiful features inside as well like leather etc.

How much leather is enough?.. Seems like you either go the whole way or keep it all plasticky inside?

Quick Reply: Oct issue of EVO magazine