Sponsored by:

Oct issue of EVO magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hey, the GT3 is clearly impressive on the track. I'm not trying to take anything away from it. I'm just trying to put its performance into context. The 12C is way faster in a straight line, so I'm trying to answer for myself whether the GT3 is really that much faster than it in the corners.

If Macca is right about 150 treadwear, then I think the question is not definitively answered (since it seems the tires were not the better ones for the track that are available on the 12C which are 60 treadwear).

I was hoping the 12C was on Corsas - then I'd simply be in awe of the 991 GT3's handling. As it is, I'm simply impressed and wondering where things stand in absolute terms...
Grant, the bottom line is that we don't know which tires were on the McLaren. I don't know that it's any more correct to assume one over the other. There are no good photos of the car that can be blown up and examined and the article doesn't say. Since the Corsa tires come packaged with lightweight rims at an extra cost of $12K, maybe someone who knows McClarens could tell from the wheel design which tire was being used.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Since the Corsa tires come packaged with lightweight rims at an extra cost of $12K, maybe someone who knows McClarens could tell from the wheel design which tire was being used.
Good idea - the wheels are shown on the McLaren configurator. Does anyone have a photo of the 12C from the article?

Here are the lightweight rims that come with the Corsa tires:

Last edited by GrantG; 12-12-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have looked back at prior EVO magazines. In issue 183 (UK winter) the 12C that was used in the test (long term test fleet - Nick Trott) was using P-Zero. There was some talk in issue 184 for using "summer tyres" but I have no idea what was actually put on the car prior to the test against the GT3.

Regardless as Mike says on a 1.5 mile course the difference between a say Michelin Super Sport road tyre and the new MPSC2 tyre wouldn't amount to much more that a second I shouldn't think. I personally don't see the MPSC2 styre being as aggressive as its predecessor which was a truly semi slick design (and I agree with Grant a very compromised tyre).

I will find out form EVO what the 12C was wearing on the day. In teh meantime here are the traces and plots. Just so no one gets confused (as was tweeted by Jethro yesterday) dont make the mistake of believing they made only one run with the 12C and many with the GT3 - they ran both cars quite a few laps so although the article may read that way its incorrect...

PS. Both these attachments and the one I posted above on the Track review are courtesy of Rennsport Forum where they were first posted.

Expect to see a bit track day shoot out with the GT3 against the 3.8RS, 458 and others in September by one off the big Euro Auto magazines. Now that will be something to look forward to!
Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

That photo appears to show the standard wheels (that come with street tires - the standard wheel is on the right in my post above)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Good idea - the wheels are shown on the McLaren configurator. Does anyone have a photo of the 12C from the article?

Here are the lightweight rims that come with the Corsa tires:
Funny, I was on the McLaren site too. It's not really clear but if you blow up the pics in post 1 and 6 the wheels look like the lightweight forged wheels to me (not the standard) but in any event not the super-lightweights. If the tires are factory spec ie not replacements, then it's likely that they are not the Corsas.

The Porsche should be ashamed for taking advantage of the poor ole McLaren. Maybe if it gave away a full 200HP instead of just 141....

Just kidding.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree. But the 12C has been in the fleet for 7 months and many test/track days so I suspect the tyres were replaced coming into summer...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The Corsa is a faster Tyre I suspect than the MPSC2 or DunlopMaxx options on the GT3. I believe they have reverted to a more sensible road/track tyre on this car and with the RWS some of the pressure is taken off of the tyre after repeated use. A good move IMHO. Looks like they are learning from mistake son the 997.2 GT3 (CL, Tyres etc).
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree. But the 12C has been in the fleet for 7 months and many test/track days so I suspect the tyres were replaced coming into summer...
Yes. Which is why I suggested they might not be OEM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I have attached some info on the lap time Jethro did in the 12C below for those interested. I also have emailed him to ask what spec of tyres on that day and what differences in time he would expect on like for like tyres...
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, the GT3 is clearly impressive on the track. I'm not trying to take anything away from it. I'm just trying to put its performance into context. The 12C is way faster in a straight line, so I'm trying to answer for myself whether the GT3 is really that much faster than it in the corners.

If Macca is right about 150 treadwear, then I think the question is not definitively answered (since it seems the tires were not the better ones for the track that are available on the 12C which are 60 treadwear, but still street-legal).

I was hoping the 12C was on Corsas - then I'd simply be in awe of the 991 GT3's handling. As it is, I'm simply impressed and wondering where things stand in absolute terms...
Valid points. There is a lot of info left out of this review so not much can be taken from it. The Dunlop Maxx tires if as grippy as on the GTR are as fast as R888 and Corsas are not even that great of an Rcompound. I cant fathom any way an mpsc is slower or equal to a regular pzero. Remember tire manufacterers set their own ratings.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I have attached some info on the lap time Jethro did in the 12C below for those interested. I also have emailed him to ask what spec of tyres on that day and what differences in time he would expect on like for like tyres...
Thanks, Macca!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
Valid points. There is a lot of info left out of this review so not much can be taken from it.
Just FYI Dez, there is a lot more to the review than has been posted here. There is much more on the McLaren-GT3 comparison, and the whole section on the GT3 versus the GT-R is not shown. If you've read the whole thing in EVO, and still feel it's incomplete, then fair enough.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just FYI Dez, there is a lot more to the review than has been posted here. There is much more on the McLaren-GT3 comparison, and the whole section on the GT3 versus the GT-R is not shown. If you've read the whole thing in EVO, and still feel it's incomplete, then fair enough.
If anyone is able to post scans of the rest of the article, that would be great!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

If anyone is able to post scans of the rest of the article, that would be great!
I'm in Monterey for Historics week and don't have the wherewithal to scan and post. Maybe someone else can risk the copyright infringement.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree the P-Zero will not be as quick as the MPSC2.

Quick Reply: Oct issue of EVO magazine