Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013 | 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Macca, yes I did have a deposit on 991 GT3. I kept an open mind, tried my best to like paddle shifts- many back to back test drives, rented a GTR... etc. Then I went for the Porsche road show thing and got track time on 4 Porsches - all PDK. 2 weeks later, I got my 997.2 GT3.

The way I see it, there will always be a faster paddle shift GT3 if I ever wanted one, but for the manual, this is the last one and I am not done with driving a manual yet and hopefully never will.

As for the Timo Kluck videos, in the PDK one, he seems super distracted to me, half the time he is busy touching/adjusting his helmet or face.
Fair call. I may well do the same if the 991 GT3 isnt to my liking. However Ill always keep the 993 so I have a hard core manual 911 in the garage at all times. I decided to look to the future for my next Porsche purchase (first ever new Porsche and first Porsche purchase for 8 years). Im looking forward to something totally different to the older GT3 and RS cars Ive owned before. It sounds like you did alot of investigation before deciding but to be honest I dont think you can judge the new GT3 till you have driven it as its different from the 991S PDK and GTR on so many levels. Of course to do that you probably have to buy one. I decided on that option as I suspect there will be no shortage of takers for it if I didnt like it after 6 months and decided to sell it (there are only 4 coming to NZ in the first shipment). There will be plenty of used 997 GT3 on the market for quite some time to come so Im comfortable I can back track if its not as good as my friends in the industry tell me...
Old 07-23-2013 | 08:42 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Fair call. I may well do the same if the 991 GT3 isnt to my liking. However Ill always keep the 993 so I have a hard core manual 911 in the garage at all times. I decided to look to the future for my next Porsche purchase (first ever new Porsche and first Porsche purchase for 8 years). Im looking forward to something totally different to the older GT3 and RS cars Ive owned before. It sounds like you did alot of investigation before deciding but to be honest I dont think you can judge the new GT3 till you have driven it as its different from the 991S PDK and GTR on so many levels. Of course to do that you probably have to buy one. I decided on that option as I suspect there will be no shortage of takers for it if I didnt like it after 6 months and decided to sell it (there are only 4 coming to NZ in the first shipment). There will be plenty of used 997 GT3 on the market for quite some time to come so Im comfortable I can back track if its not as good as my friends in the industry tell me...
Yea, I too wish I had the luxury of spending a weekend with 991 GT3 before deciding. But unfortunately that is not going to happen for some time. So I did the next best thing I could. In the end my problem was how fundamentally different paddle shift felt vs a manual transmission with a proper clutch pedal and making the shift happen faster or with more violence wasn't going to span that fundamental difference.

For what it is worth, I did enjoy the paddle shifts on some challenging backroads that was completely new to me cause other driver functions kept me busy enough. But everywhere else - normal roads I am familiar with and at the track I found it boring.

Also, for what it is worth, if I had another old school Porsche already parked in my garage to get my fix I would probably have been more open to the new GT3... so congrats to you and enjoy yours.
Old 07-23-2013 | 08:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

sunnyr. Weve simply approached the issue from different directions. As you say I have the advantage of a very focused track/fast road 993 to provide a dichotomy of experience. I see the 991 GT3 performing more fast road and DD that the 993 can comfortably fulfill. I really wanted something quite different from the raw old school air-cooled cars Ive typically owned. They are great but I also take them for-granted and they can be hard work to extract the best from and maintain. the new 991 GT3 will give me a very stark " then and now" picture/experience. By the time you get to drive the new GT3 you will be in a better position than most to know what is the better car for you at that time. To be honest either way a 997.2 GT3 in the garage is a great fall back plan....
Old 07-23-2013 | 09:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pulling paddles is so yesteday. With the new autobox you can just flick your pinky.
yeah, manual is like having 2 levers simultaneously pulled by two comrades in different booths to trigger an icbm, rather than a single button under a plastic cover.
Old 07-23-2013 | 09:38 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
New crank
New rods
New intake manifold
Modified heads
300 cell cats
CF airbox
Reinforced cam adjusters
Reinforced chain tensioners
Modified ECU
Uprated clutch
Helper springs on rear
Different suspension settings
Different alignment settings
CF hood
CF fenders
Larger rear wing sideplates
Steeper wing angle
Dive planes
Lighter carpet
Graphics
monoballs
option for whorehouse roof lining
Old 07-24-2013 | 11:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Yes, but it was a manual.
(Sigh) You totally missed my point. Nevermind.
Old 07-24-2013 | 11:22 AM
TrackFan
Banned

No, I didn't, but you missed mine.
Old 07-24-2013 | 11:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
additional monoballs
option for whorehouse roof lining, sport design steering wheel
Fixed it for us.
Old 07-26-2013 | 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

u are all wrong.
if i ran PAG, i would make RS no different than GT3, except the $100,000 USD decal on rear lid "GT3RS". and guess what, i will sell EVERYONE of them....

sad but true.

we RL'ster prolly wont buy it. but plenty are dumber and richer than we.
Old 07-27-2013 | 05:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Frustration is growing stronger over PDK hesitation on the 991 and 981 models. I really hope the 991 GT3 PDK-S won't encounter this problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7641...rom-start.html
Old 07-27-2013 | 07:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Frustration is growing stronger over PDK hesitation on the 991 and 981 models. I really hope the 991 GT3 PDK-S won't encounter this problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7641...rom-start.html
I hope not. First, PDK-S is a different animal. But second, when I read the thread there are responses all over the map. Some have an issue, some don't, and some may be related to other factors, engine/throttle management for example. FWIW, I never had any issues with my 997.2S with PDK. When I got on it, it came off idle like a scalded dog, so I'm not expecting a problem. Certainly no reviewer has mentioned anything about it in the 991 GT3.
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:41 PM
Horstair
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I hope not. First, PDK-S is a different animal. But second, when I read the thread there are responses all over the map. Some have an issue, some don't, and some may be related to other factors, engine/throttle management for example. FWIW, I never had any issues with my 997.2S with PDK. When I got on it, it came off idle like a scalded dog, so I'm not expecting a problem. Certainly no reviewer has mentioned anything about it in the 991 GT3.
Defending the crappy PDK again, Mike... When will you learn? Tried to stay out of it's tough with you posting every 30 seconds on RL
So if you flame me 9 times you'll get to 6000 posts...
Old 07-30-2013 | 11:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Lol...
Old 07-31-2013 | 12:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Get help.
Old 07-31-2013 | 01:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Horst is bitter that he only runs 2:12 at Thunderhill. Maybe if he had PDK...

Quick Reply: Manual?