Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
edgy is right.
sydney roads, especially on any given saturday, are a nightmare.
so many obstacles.
last weekend did a 5 hr drive outside sydney metro and still came across many obstacles and traffic.
my body and mind were wrecked and then i went to work for 9hrs.
this week, my car is at tech's for service and at the same time getting kw's readjusted back to street settings, and stock exhaust re-instated. used to track, but now car is useless on the street, gotta make it more comfy as roads are crap and it does my head in.
the 991gt3 with auto/lift/pasm would surely be much more accommodating than a 6 3.
Exactly! I could have worded better but yes, along with all those other technologies like pasm, electric steer, PDK etc it'll be better for the target market... And shanghai millionaires get the last say!

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I don't get some of you guys? Is shifting, and pushing in a clutch that hard?

I owned a trucking company, but I loved driving so much that I also drove one of the trucks. Sitting in an office drives me crazy. I have over a million miles on an 18 speed 18 wheeler. Half of it in LA traffic.

Shifting is not a chore. Its a pleasure.
Again I could have worded a little better but it's not 'just the clutch' it is the fact that the car is so engaging in every aspect... Ill say this about the predecessors to the 991 gt3: great car to drive at speed, bad car to drive slow. I hope that makes sense
Old 07-20-2013, 11:50 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't make sense to me?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I could have made that video.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Nice video.

Manual GT3 will rise from the ashes.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

for that video!

And I anticipate they'll be more to come.
He's basically stating what I've anticipated ever since they've announced the 991 GT3 : low miles and well cared for examples of the 997 GT3 will sell at premium prices in years to come,I'd say around the price they cost brand new!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 AM
TrackFan
Banned

PDK has nothing on this guy. His shifting is perfect, and he overtakes like Senna used to do.

Watch for some good entertainment.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Brilliant!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Here are videos of same driver (Timo Kluck) lapping the Nordschleife in a PDK 991 Carrera S and the other in a 4.0 RS. In one, he seems very distracted, almost bored - you can decide which one for yourself .

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

I'de love to have a couple beers with Timo and ask him what he thinks about the GT3 and PDK

Last edited by Gros Chien; 07-23-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha! I already know! My "secret sauce" knows him. He was one of the test drivers that urged AP to go with the PDK-S. Timo loves the new automated transmission. Its him hanging the rear out declutching the car on some of the corners getting it sideways (aka Fazination) in the early spy shots taken last Oct during shake down when my sause was there testing tyres...

You wont believe me will you? Oh well. You will see...

Wait till the new GT3 hits the tracks. You will definitely see.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Here are videos of same driver (Timo Kluck) lapping the Nordschleife in a PDK 991 Carrera S and the other in a 4.0 RS. In one, he seems very distracted, almost bored - you can decide which one for yourself .

Sunnyr. You had a 991 GT3 on order right but decided instead to buy a 997 GT3?

Timo doesn't look relaxed in either of those clips. He does however hold a better line with the PDK as Im guessing it gives him more time to focus on position which is what every great lap of the North Loop is about. Gear changes not so much (as there are relatively few of them for the length of the course). Its all about position and line...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

PDK has nothing on this guy. His shifting is perfect, and he overtakes like Senna used to do.

Porsche 911 track racing - YouTube
that's leh keen.
eddie is the human pdk, but leh is like a driving god!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Porsche 911 track racing - YouTube
Notice how his lines were all wrong because he didn't have pdk to allow him to concentrate... haha... NOT! He may be in a 996 but it seems like he's the only one that came to race. Awesome driver...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Observe how " uninvolved " he seems driving the manual,at some point he even waves at someone. I don't get why people think they feel more " involved " driving a manual.
Give this guy a PDK and he'll be knitting with his right hand while trying to stay awake.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Notice how his lines were all wrong because he didn't have pdk to allow him to concentrate... haha... NOT! He may be in a 996 but it seems like he's the only one that came to race. Awesome driver...
Originally Posted by neanicu
Observe how " uninvolved " he seems driving the manual,at some point he even waves at someone. I don't get why people think they feel more " involved " driving a manual.
Give this guy a PDK and he'll be knitting with his right hand while trying to stay awake.
+1. That looks way more fun than pulling paddles, and done properly there are no distractions because you aren't doing everything at once. It's a concerted flow of various actions that feels like nothing else when knit together fluidly. It's not like you have to pick the car up and carry it around, it's small simple movements that the difference between done right and wrong is HUGE!!!! Just like it should be, challenging but not overwhelming.

PDK gives you paddles as something to do to make you think you are important when in reality, the car doesn't need you at all in that aspect and you are actually holding it back by using them. The manual car says, "I'm only going fast and/or staying smooth if you know what you're doing" PDK says "here is something to play with, try not to mess it up too badly".

Quick Reply: Manual?