Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
We can argue about the color. Red's wrong.
Goes for you to Toplabels
I'd say something about white, but I'm falling asleep thinking about it....

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:58 PM
TrackFan
Banned

White can look great, or crummy depending on what you have for contrast. Too much white is not a good look.
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I've got nothing against white....just giving Peter a bad time....
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:52 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I think whatever I get, it will be white. The yellow is too much of a cop magnet. I have a bad habit of going a bit over the speed limit.
Old 07-18-2013 | 10:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

just get yellow, and rehearse these lines..
"i swear to god, it wasn't me"
Old 07-18-2013 | 10:21 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Yeah, I was the guy in the yellow car. He went left!!
Old 07-19-2013 | 09:21 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty

if one must have a manual, buy a 6 or 7 and drive them when you want to row the stick then add a 991 for modern technology with pdk. it' s not that hard ...
Quality advice from Mooty as usual .

I was in that place 2 months ago. I had a deposit on 991 GT3. But wasn't sure how I would like the whole PDK thing. I kept an open mind despite not liking it on 10 min test drives. I went for the Porsche road show thing. They gave me 4 PDK cars (Cayman, Cayman S, Carrera 4, Carrera 4s) to drive around the track. First 2 laps were okay, but by the third lap I found it boring. And I am not even a track rat. 2 weeks later I got my 997.2 GT3. Not dissing the PDK, but not my cup of tea.

Incidentally the only place where I found flappy transmissions even remotely interesting was when I rented a GTR for the weekend and drove on some back roads that was new to me. Every other time/place I found it boring.
Old 07-20-2013 | 12:36 AM
TrackFan
Banned

This should raise some neck hairs. I found a quote by AP before the 991 came out. He was talking about the 997 GT3, and the PDK.

He said:

"“my grandmother could drive one."

Another thought I had. Since 99 there's been 15,000 GT3's sold. Every one is a manual. Does Porsche really think there isn't a customer base for the manual for the 991 GT3?
Old 07-20-2013 | 07:10 AM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty

if one must have a manual, buy a 6 or 7 and drive them when you want to row the stick then add a 991 for modern technology with pdk. it' s not that hard ...
all of this Mooty ^^

I can totally relate to this logic.

There's a real nice drive here in Sydney that runs along most of the coastline (for the locals la peruse, bondi beach, coogee, old south head rd etc) I took the 6-3 out today and done it... Beautiful drive but too much traffic, slow speed limits, speed humps and bumpy roads etc... I came home, had a shower and reflected on this drive.., well I didn't rub one out , so I guess the drive wasn't that great in the 6-3? It felt like more of a job! But it did get me thinking, "this is exactly what the 991 GT3 is for" Inner city dwellers who don't get out much but 'might' attend an occasional track day.

I vote add to collection and daily grind it....

I also think maybe they should have raised the bar REAL high and labelled the new gt3 as the new C2S then done some real next level sh*t on the new GT3.
Old 07-20-2013 | 11:30 AM
TrackFan
Banned

I don't get some of you guys? Is shifting, and pushing in a clutch that hard?

I owned a trucking company, but I loved driving so much that I also drove one of the trucks. Sitting in an office drives me crazy. I have over a million miles on an 18 speed 18 wheeler. Half of it in LA traffic.

Shifting is not a chore. Its a pleasure.
Old 07-20-2013 | 12:39 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

edgy is right.
sydney roads, especially on any given saturday, are a nightmare.
so many obstacles.
last weekend did a 5 hr drive outside sydney metro and still came across many obstacles and traffic.
my body and mind were wrecked and then i went to work for 9hrs.
this week, my car is at tech's for service and at the same time getting kw's readjusted back to street settings, and stock exhaust re-instated. used to track, but now car is useless on the street, gotta make it more comfy as roads are crap and it does my head in.
the 991gt3 with auto/lift/pasm would surely be much more accommodating than a 6 3.
Old 07-20-2013 | 03:28 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Default 991 GT3 RS with optional manual gearshift...

It may be worth considering the 991 GT3 RS with optional manual gearshift...

Porsche 911 GT3 (2013) CAR review

"While the winged wonder from Weissach may have lost some of its rough edges, it has at the same time acquired important new qualities. Like a supreme sense of balance, a higher level of tactility, more potent and more progressive action, a creamier behaviour at the limit of adhesion as well as amazingly articulated feedback."

"The message to hardliners is don’t worry, all the trademark GT3 entertainment values are still there, standing proud and tall. Some buyers will never be convinced, however, and for them there's still hope: the upcoming 911 GT3 RS is rumoured to be as blunt a weapon as the diehards could ever wish for, and the engineers haven't yet ruled out an optional manual gearshift..."

-- Full article by Georg Kacher in Car magazine (August 2013)
...the interesting question is whether, after introducing a manual option for the 991 GT3 RS, it will also become an option for the 991 GT3!

Looking forward to the 991 GT3 RS launch at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September!

Old 07-20-2013 | 04:38 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I saw that. I hope it's true. AP seems to be in love with the PDK, and is trying to force it on everybody.
Old 07-20-2013 | 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Theres not manual 991 Gt3RS. The article is wrong. I couldnt even find that said on the link below. Maybe someone added it.

Our NZ roads arent much better. My 964+993RS were crap to drive quickly on NZ back roads - they skipped and jumped and tramlined and generally wanted to kill you until you got to the track. They were noisy, harsh and crashy on chip seal we have over here (US roads are quieter).

My 6-3 was a little better but still very hard on the road and not an ideal DD.

Ive managed to get my 993 just passable for all duties but is a whole new and modern suspension system from the subframes mounts up and no change from $12k usd for the parts and labour!

Im looking forward to a GT3 I can actually get some use and enjoyment out of on our roads. Im going to get alot more use and enjoyment out of this one than any prior and it will be my DD.
Old 07-20-2013 | 06:58 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Theres not manual 991 Gt3RS. The article is wrong. I couldnt even find that said on the link below. Maybe someone added it.
Macca -- just pick up a copy of the August issue of Car magazine and you can read the full article.

Here is another select quote from Georg Kacher on the 991 GT3 auto-transmission...

Porsche 911 GT3 (2013) CAR review

"Is the new transmission really an improvement over the manual six-speeder, both in terms of emotional appeal and functional advantage? The answer is a cautiously worded yes and no. Fact is, when the day was half over, I even ignored the up and down shifters attached to the steering wheel simply because the the adaptive shift programme is gifted with such telepathic foresight that it executes the job to perfection."

-- Full article by Georg Kacher in Car magazine (August 2013)
...if you prefer PDK there's no problem -- although existing GT3 owners might like to check out the 991 GT3 RS at the Frankfurt Motor Show!

Quick Reply: Manual?