Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont get the beef with the new GT3 being only PDK. Its a product. people buy it because they like it or they dont because its not what they want end of story. This thing about going on and on about being old school or not its irrelevant. there are choices for those who choose to shift manually. If Porsche came out with a product that someone for what ever reason does not like then purchase what you do like.

I tend to agree with what Chris Harris said in his 991 GT3 test drive which is that for every one person that does not buy the GT3 because its a PDK only vehicle there will probably be at least 3 that will. Making vehicles being them PORSCHE or not is still a business and selling cars is a must.

So at the end its about winning races on sunday selling cars on monday and as I see it I am still in line to get one so demand is higher than supply......apparently the decision with PDK only is paying off or at least will once they build enough cars to satisfy demand.

Lets just shut up and drive like my friend Andreas said on an interview. I promise it will more than give anybody a heck of a lot of fun on track.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Pete that car is gorgeous. I want one. can you give us some more details on the build??? Did you build it or have someone do it for ya???
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it is my money, and since when is modifying a car to suit you so wrong?

I never brought up what it will cost. My concern is if it can be done, and who might do it?

Hard to not bring up old school when that's what I am. I'm willing to pay to stay that way.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by toplabels
Anything is possible, but lets get real. First off you spend 150K on a brand new car. Then you are going to spend another 150K (in all reality god knows how much) paying someone who might remotely think he can do the conversion on a brand new complicated vehicle. This is not even worth contemplating, nor even discussing really and my apologies for being blunt.
Sorry, if you seriously think it's going to cost 150k to convert the GT3 from PDK to manual I'll be even more blunt: you are way, way off. Not that you couldn't spend that, but you'd be stupid if you did.

Pete that car is gorgeous. I want one. can you give us some more details on the build??? Did you build it or have someone do it for ya???
Some more info. I "helped" build it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...9-gt3-cup.html
I think you'll agree: compared to adding water cooling, a custom tuned and relocated '06 GT3 cup motor, pccb brakes, 6 speed, etc to a '69, converting from PDK to manual is pretty trivial.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. Have admired your avatar before but didn’t realize what lied beneath. Brilliantly executed.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I think it's trivial too. I can change all the parts. I've been building cars since I was a teenager.

The problem is getting it to work with all the systems. I'm far from a computer whizz.

So, instead of doing any of it. I'd rather a shop get the whole job.

No rush. I want to see how the car does on the track once it's released. If it's not a big improvement over the 997. I'll look for some sort of 997 GT3/GT2.

I didn't mean to start any trouble, but i'm usually pretty stubborn when I get an idea in my head. I've never been known for doing things like everybody else.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Its always funny when people hear a bit of truth how the next reaction is of dislike. The truth of the matter is that the 991 GT3 is only PDK. Converting is pretty much not a possibility not dependent of how much money you have or not and if someone begs to differ please call me when you get it done please before the next millennium. I did not mean to tell someone how to or not to spend their money my point and opinion was that I see it as not possible at this point in time to convert the GT3 into manual, ohhh and yes thats my opinion ONLY.

Old school is in essence that and nothing more. If the last statement is true why not stay old school and buy a 70 car perhaps an 80 car or even a 60s car. I just dont see the point of all this.

My comments are merely a reflection of my own definition of old school and not intended thru disrespect.

Not being this the only thread regarding PDK and Manual in the 991 GT3 its just a waste of time. PORSCHE is only making them Manual. Who knows they might change their mind in 12 months and come up with a special edition which will cost even more and then the story might just be different but until then I just dont see the point in keeping up the PDK vs Manual argument, but again thats just me. As there are a few willing to debate the PDK/Manual dilemma for the next thousand years so there is one being that me who just doesnt see the point or benefit of extending this debate.

Again Track fan I mean no disrespect and if I shall differ from you its not to bring up any particular reaction from you or others. everyone is entitled to his or hers opinion and mine has been stated against the on going unrelenting complaint about a transmission on a particular car...thats it......
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM
toplabels
Instructor

See how even I am confused......I said PORSCHE is only making them manual in my last post.......PDK yes PDK
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its always funny when people hear a bit of truth how the next reaction is of dislike. The truth of the matter is that the 991 GT3 is only PDK. Converting is pretty much not a possibility not dependent of how much money you have or not and if someone begs to differ please call me when you get it done please before the next millennium. I did not mean to tell someone how to or not to spend their money my point and opinion was that I see it as not possible at this point in time to convert the GT3 into manual, ohhh and yes thats my opinion ONLY.

Old school is in essence that and nothing more. If the last statement is true why not stay old school and buy a 70 car perhaps an 80 car or even a 60s car. I just dont see the point of all this.

My comments are merely a reflection of my own definition of old school and not intended thru disrespect.

Not being this the only thread regarding PDK and Manual in the 991 GT3 its just a waste of time. PORSCHE is only making them Manual. Who knows they might change their mind in 12 months and come up with a special edition which will cost even more and then the story might just be different but until then I just dont see the point in keeping up the PDK vs Manual argument, but again thats just me. As there are a few willing to debate the PDK/Manual dilemma for the next thousand years so there is one being that me who just doesnt see the point or benefit of extending this debate.

Again Track fan I mean no disrespect and if I shall differ from you its not to bring up any particular reaction from you or others. everyone is entitled to his or hers opinion and mine has been stated against the on going unrelenting complaint about a transmission on a particular car...thats it......
+99

Well stated. I think we all get a bit tired with this. Until the car is delivered I guess we wont really be in an informed position to comment. There are good arguments for each technology. each to their own. I do agree however that if you dont like it then hang onto your manual or go buy a 993 and help us 993 owners out with out appreciating assets LOL!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I never meant this to be just another PDK vs manual thread. You all can drive what you want. As it should be. I don't even care what Porsche has decided for the future. I make my own future. If a manual can't be put into a new GT3. Then I won't buy one. I'm not convinced it can't be done yet. So, i'll keep looking into it.

As for me driving the older cars, because I consider myself old school? Been there, and done that for decades. Time to move on, but I draw the line at giving up shifting for myself. I'm just too good at it.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I never meant this to be just another PDK vs manual thread. You all can drive what you want. As it should be. I don't even care what Porsche has decided for the future. I make my own future. If a manual can't be put into a new GT3. Then I won't buy one. I'm not convinced it can't be done yet. So, i'll keep looking into it.

As for me driving the older cars, because I consider myself old school? Been there, and done that for decades. Time to move on, but I draw the line at giving up shifting for myself. I'm just too good at it.
Fair enough. I fall into the same camp but have decided to try the 991 GT3 as I feel its finally time for a change and find out what this new water cooled technology etc is all about LOL (will be keeping the 993 as well of course!)...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Converting is pretty much not a possibility not dependent of how much money you have... my point and opinion was that I see it as not possible at this point in time to convert the GT3 into manual
Ha. That's it then.

I do like the quote "Those who say it cannot be done, should not get in the way of those who are doing it." (William Wallace or George Bernard Shaw or... depending on who you believe). In any case, one can surmise you're unlikely to be doing it. I do wonder what experience, factory connections, engineering knowledge, etc has lead you to this conclusion?

We'll see a manual 991 GT3 within a year of it being in customer hands. We can look back at this thread then.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 AM
toplabels
Instructor

So were there's a will there's a way and I most certainly agree with that at the risk of contradicting myself from before, but even then a brand spanking new GT3 being tampered with before its had its first few candles....I dont know about that. So the thought of having performance suffer for the thrill of making a few shifts....still dont know about that either, but I do have a solution. Have them both 997.2 GT3 RS perhaps manual and if the 991 GT3 intrigues you that much buy yourself one too.

Allow me to explain something here....i was born in
a country were automatics where very I repeat very rare. I learned to drive stick from the get go. I own three PORSCHES and they are all manual which includes my 991S. PDK at this point why not and what a better way to try one that on the GT3 which makes sense on a performance level. All I am saying is that for those hung over this PDK thing just have one of each and I am not throwing a sarcasm here. I am trading my 991S for the GT3 991, but I I still have my 87 911 and my track 996 ready whenever I may feel bored with the PDK if that so happens.

At this point if we are talking about dropping 150K for a GT3 buying an earlier car with a manual shouldnt be that much of a stretch. After the GT3 991 I'll be looking at a 993 to add to the toys list why not.

On a different note I am sure like I said before that with a new GT3 on track there will probably just probably be less time to think about downshifting OK!!! At least for me from a 996 full track car to a once in a while GT3 991 excursion to the track will be like moving from a VFR Cessna 172 landing to a full blown IFR situation in a Citation Cessna jet on a busy airport landing with minimums LOL. Do you think I'd be complaining about auto pilot then just because I am old school.....

Ok I get it some of you still would prefer a Manual.......I dont know what I would have done if there were a Manual option really, but since there is not I am concentrating on the other things that a 991 GT3 brings to the table instead of getting hung up over a transmission. Yes i know its a big deal for some, but in the mean time I will do my best and endure hardship I will sacrifice myself and get one. If I should change my mine on all that I have said here after owning it and really dont like the PDK or if it is boring as some have stated I will log inn and offer my apologies and admit I was dead wrong. Well how about that putting myself out there like this.........

Who cares its meant to be a hobby. As a hobby I am tempted to try all PORSCHES cars and thats why I still want a 993. Have fun with each one none are perfect, but everyone brings a different not more or less just different level of enjoyment. Accept them for what they are and drive them preferably at the track and you will have a boat load of fun with manual or pdk..........
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Great thread!
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's one thing to take a risk on building and marketing a tweak for big money that gives the customer bragging rights to a faster car. It's another to take the same risk for something that makes the car slower. I'm not saying it can't or won't be done, just that it's another obstacle to such a project.
Here's the question: Doesn't the very existence of this thread (and other similar discussions) call into question how many of Porsche's target market realy would prefer a manual? Why did they make the decision to completely abandon this segment of the market? Does that create a gap that someone else is going to find a way to serve?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

So were there's a will there's a way and I most certainly agree with that at the risk of contradicting myself from before, but even then a brand spanking new GT3 being tampered with before its had its first few candles....I dont know about that. So the thought of having performance suffer for the thrill of making a few shifts....still dont know about that either, but I do have a solution. Have them both 997.2 GT3 RS perhaps manual and if the 991 GT3 intrigues you that much buy yourself one too.

Allow me to explain something here....i was born in
a country were automatics where very I repeat very rare. I learned to drive stick from the get go. I own three PORSCHES and they are all manual which includes my 991S. PDK at this point why not and what a better way to try one that on the GT3 which makes sense on a performance level. All I am saying is that for those hung over this PDK thing just have one of each and I am not throwing a sarcasm here. I am trading my 991S for the GT3 991, but I I still have my 87 911 and my track 996 ready whenever I may feel bored with the PDK if that so happens.

At this point if we are talking about dropping 150K for a GT3 buying an earlier car with a manual shouldnt be that much of a stretch. After the GT3 991 I'll be looking at a 993 to add to the toys list why not.

On a different note I am sure like I said before that with a new GT3 on track there will probably just probably be less time to think about downshifting OK!!! At least for me from a 996 full track car to a once in a while GT3 991 excursion to the track will be like moving from a VFR Cessna 172 landing to a full blown IFR situation in a Citation Cessna jet on a busy airport landing with minimums LOL. Do you think I'd be complaining about auto pilot then just because I am old school.....

Ok I get it some of you still would prefer a Manual.......I dont know what I would have done if there were a Manual option really, but since there is not I am concentrating on the other things that a 991 GT3 brings to the table instead of getting hung up over a transmission. Yes i know its a big deal for some, but in the mean time I will do my best and endure hardship I will sacrifice myself and get one. If I should change my mine on all that I have said here after owning it and really dont like the PDK or if it is boring as some have stated I will log inn and offer my apologies and admit I was dead wrong. Well how about that putting myself out there like this.........

Who cares its meant to be a hobby. As a hobby I am tempted to try all PORSCHES cars and thats why I still want a 993. Have fun with each one none are perfect, but everyone brings a different not more or less just different level of enjoyment. Accept them for what they are and drive them preferably at the track and you will have a boat load of fun with manual or pdk..........
Damn - another great thread for contention of best thread of the year around here! Its like your in my head or something. Ive tried to say the same less eloquently on a few occasions but confess having been one of the first posters on this board I was a bit punch drunk from the negativity for the first 3-4 months until the reviews started to flow.

I also come form a country where slush boxes never existed and all my cars have been MT too to date. Im ready to give this a go and cant think of a more exciting product or better platform to break my cheery.

The simple matter is buy it, try it, and if you don't like sell it. Its not like there's any real financial risk for the first six months anyway as there will be queues of people waiting for theirs. Its only money and as you say this is a passion and a hobby.....

Quick Reply: Manual?