Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Porsche 960. Is there a market for it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nice analysis, Eduardo. "Audi believes Porsche should stop touching its stuff." I had to smile at that.
Does make me wonder where the Overlord (aka Dr. Piech) sits with respect to intervening between the two brands....

particularly given his rather significant contributions to both.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification - didn't know the timing of Porsche 'taking over'....
Old 11-19-2014, 03:20 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/p...-rival-report/

After reading this, I'm not surprised that the project would go on ice given that as mentioned GT3 and Turbo are giving cars in its class "a run for their money." And the best part is, that it is half the money. So why would porsche want to go into a segment that is quite competitive with a successful recipe they already have in the upper echelon of the 911 range? If this is the case, expect GT2 and GT2 RS people.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

So far, the only known fact is that the car will be produced (unless they decide against it). The rest is too much, and at times, useless speculation.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Personally, I think they should make a non hybrid version of the 918... That is one sexy car.
From what I remember when Porsche first talked about the 960 it was to be a mid engine V8 mounted in basically a 918 body and was positioned to sell in the low 200k range to compete with McLaren and the "F" car. The first pictures were stunning but this new picture (granted may not be close to what the end product will be) does not have the same "WOW" for me and I understand the pricing is now closer to 500k Too bad if true
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be better to shoot for something in the $400-$500K range as there are only 2 cars from what I recall F12 and Aventador. Market is wide open there.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default ‘The report of my death was an exaggeration’: so says 960/988!

Originally Posted by aeGT3
So far, the only known fact is that the car will be produced (unless they decide against it). The rest is too much, and at times, useless speculation.
Correct.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
From what I remember when Porsche first talked about the 960 it was to be a mid engine V8 mounted in basically a 918 body and was positioned to sell in the low 200k range to compete with McLaren and the "F" car. The first pictures were stunning but this new picture (granted may not be close to what the end product will be) does not have the same "WOW" for me and I understand the pricing is now closer to 500k Too bad if true
Jack, the renderings are all speculation. And the price target are still at $300K or below.

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/p...-rival-report/

After reading this, I'm not surprised that the project would go on ice given that as mentioned GT3 and Turbo are giving cars in its class "a run for their money." And the best part is, that it is half the money. So why would porsche want to go into a segment that is quite competitive with a successful recipe they already have in the upper echelon of the 911 range? If this is the case, expect GT2 and GT2 RS people.
Because they need to be competitive in motorsports at the gt level. That is the short answer. The longer answer is contained in my post from yesterday quoted below after some brief comments:

The 'demise' & 'put on icing' reports re: 960/988 are all based on one singular Autocar report dated Nov 15th (see #1). But just two months before, Amy Wilson of Automotive News was saying works continues on the 960/988 (see #2). In my opinion what has happened is nothing but a head-fake by PAG CEO Matthias Müller so as to NOT distract 918 owners & hot prospects from going ahead & buying the wonderful, albeit very expensive, hybrid 'super car'! Not surprisingly, Porsche cleverly leaked to selected members of the automotive press in Oct that 918 were almost sold out (see #3). That started the 'rush' which culminated in all 918 examples spoken for as of last week!

There are many of here at Rennlist & elsewhere that think Porsche will start seriously 'talking' about the 960/988 ONCE the all the 918's are paid for and delivered to their clients. See the exchange below:

Originally Posted by GeoffJr@Isringhausen
The 918 is now officially sold out worldwide.
Originally Posted by Petevb
Sweet! Not only good for Porsche, but we'll finally get details on the 960...
But even though PAG apparently reached their sales goal & got the last of the expected customers for the 918 Spyder, I don't think it would be YET 'prudent' for PAG to flaunt their plans for a lighter & almost equally as capable mid-engined model! They probably wait until all 918's have been delivered and the checks have cleared!

But interest in the 960/988 shows no lack of interest at Rennlist. At the 918 forum, we had this lively interchange last night:

Originally Posted by brake dust
Eduardo, great posts - as usual. Should start a sticky thread on the 960.

Interesting that Porsche may be going to a flat 8 vs. a V8 in the 960. Thought they would use the 918 lump. What is the likelihood of the flat 8 being used in a 911RSR? The current 911RSR is not very competitive - even with a full factory effort. Or are we seeing the end of the 911 being raced in top flight endurance racing in favor of the mid engine 960.
Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks, brake dust. All good questions re: the motor! I think that Porsche is looking at all options but turbocharging appears the most likely to be used since it's the most fuel efficient. That will give Porsche a 'politically correct' engine in these 'Green-Era' of the motorsports without resorting initially to a heavier Hybrid solution (like they did with the 918). But it all will depend on what final agreement is reached by the FIA-ACO regarding future gt racing regulations since that is the targeted 'class' where Porsche must compete and, hopefully, dominate!

http://sportscar365.com/gt/gt-convergence-called-off/

So at present the 911RSR banner is being kept alive by an all-out effort of the factory team, which includes Porsche Motorsports & Porsche-controlled Manthey Racing! The independent/privately-owned Porsche teams, which had been the mainstay of Porsche competition racing in past years (e.g. Flying Lizard, TRG, et al.), have mostly now abandoned Porsche. That is perhaps the best indication we have that the Porsche 911-based gt motorsport program is presently in serious trouble, since they have few paying customers for new race cars or replacement parts & engines! Financially, that will eventually spell the end to the Porsche motorsport program unless they can make it profitable again by having a competitive model that attracts, as in the past, a large number of 'private' racing customers world-wide. So Porsche needs a competitive sport car in this category for 'prestige' & keeping up its 'winning reputation'. But as importantly, they also need a profitable racing/production model that will be in wide demand and add to their bottom line!

So who/what is coming to the rescue? My bet is that 'the-great-white-hope' will be totally new competition model - the Fe-Fi 960/988!

We will continue this conversation on a different thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...rldwide-3.html

Hope others provide their opinions and take on this subject. I also started a while back a thread on this subject which some might want to read and comment on:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...m-porsche.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images     
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would buy 2.. one white one black.. would be a great alternative to buying the norm: ferrari/lambo/mclaren... as long as it was base price under 250k it would be worth it.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM
mgent
Instructor

With a 550hp mid-mounted turbo-8, and if it looks like the renderings above, they will sell a lot of these at $300k... 500 would be tough, and 200 too cheap... They'll want to bracket the Ferrari/lambo/McLaren cars with the TTS and GT2 on the low end and the 960 on the high end....

Car would also be great for motorsports... A GT4 cayman to replace the current cup car and a 960 to replace the RSR... They'd sell a ton of the GT4's, and the RSR would be very competitive....
Old 12-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche needs this car....to get back all the old enthusiasts that left the brand for McLaren.

Unfortunately, the latest internet rumor is that this car is low on Porsche's priority list. Let's hope it's wrong.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

I would buy one as long as manual transmission is an option even if I have to pay extra for it.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
I would buy one as long as manual transmission is an option even if I have to pay extra for it.
I don't think that Porsche will offer again a manual transmission in any of their high end competition-oriented performance cars. So I don't expect to see it on the 960/988, 991/992 gt3 RS, etc. If the auto press speculation is correct, the last performance Porsche sport car with a 'manual transmission' option (besides the run-of-the-mill 991/981 whose days are counted anyhow!) might be the upcoming 981-based gt4. And even in that model, it wouldn't surprise to see it strictly offered with PDK Sport...period! Whether we like it or not, that is the way 'we' are rolling.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Porsche needs this car....to get back all the old enthusiasts that left the brand for McLaren.

Unfortunately, the latest internet rumor is that this car is low on Porsche's priority list. Let's hope it's wrong.
How many valued Porsche enthusiasts have jumped ship to McLaren?

25?
50?
100?

They're a LOT more concerned with getting subprime credits into Macans than they are losing a few enthusiasts...
Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

How many valued Porsche enthusiasts have jumped ship to McLaren?
At this year's Total 24 Hours of Spa there were 61 entrants. Of the 61, only 4 teams were driving a Porsche GT3 R! Ten years ago 80% of the field would have been Porsche. Believe there will be a new GT3 R based on the 991 for 2015 - but not sure that will make much of a difference.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
At this year's Total 24 Hours of Spa there were 61 entrants. Of the 61, only 4 teams were driving a Porsche GT3 R! Ten years ago 80% of the field would have been Porsche. Believe there will be a new GT3 R based on the 991 for 2015 - but not sure that will make much of a difference.
I thought the new price were huge vs the competition coming out of the factory? I don't really follow it that closely but recall seeing something a while back.

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche 960. Is there a market for it?