Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991GT3 US allocations

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If production is a constraint, you can increase top line revenue simply by increasing the price. I doubt raising the price by 5-10% will deter those who would want to get their hands on one. W
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Get we get real? Seriously, your definition would apply to 99.9% of GT3 owners and I mean no disrespect I doubt you can get near its limits even though you are an instructor. This is where I have a problem with the internet especially car forums. Everyone is an expert driver and those who profess to being something less are poseurs and should not be driving a GT3.

GT3 owners are car enthusiast and appreciate a fine handling car. That said, it is highly unlikely he/she will track the car more than a few times a year if that. The car was purchased primarily to be used on public roads which can provide spirited driving opportunities. The value of the car to the buyer is its capabilities which he/she can use in many different situations outside of the track.

Your comments are dead wrong. You do not need to be a track junkie to drive well or drive high performance cars.
I understand your perspective, since my perspective was similar when I had limited track experience. I'm not a great driver, far below the pros and even the better club racers, but I've spent enough time on track to realize that you can't appreciate what driving really is until you've reached a modicum of track competency. And note that my definition would render someone a non-poseur if they at least intend to learn to drive the car. But people can do as they please and buy the car for whatever reasons they desire - their money, their life. I'm just offering a definition of poseur, based on my view that cars are tools, and the GT3 is supposed to be a tool for serious track driving.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get we get real? Seriously, your definition would apply to 99.9% of GT3 owners and I mean no disrespect I doubt you can get near its limits even though you are an instructor. This is where I have a problem with the internet especially car forums. Everyone is an expert driver and those who profess to being something less are poseurs and should not be driving a GT3.

GT3 owners are car enthusiast and appreciate a fine handling car. That said, it is highly unlikely he/she will track the car more than a few times a year if that. The car was purchased primarily to be used on public roads which can provide spirited driving opportunities. The value of the car to the buyer is its capabilities which he/she can use in many different situations outside of the track.

Your comments are dead wrong. You do not need to be a track junkie to drive well or drive high performance cars.
Let me try to restate Manifold's post so it makes sense.

GT3 poseur = someone who doesn't have the [ability] interest to drive the car 'reasonably' close to [its] his limit on the track AND has no serious intention of [learning to do so] improving his driving skills. Keep in mind that it takes most people many dozens of track days, with quality instruction, to [get to that point] make meaningful advancements to his skillset
Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Let me try to restate Manifold's post so it makes sense.
Lol, your version is fine with me too!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Ha!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
At one time I was a product manager and ran into manufacturing constraints such as this. My solution wasn’t to leave money on the table and I don’t think it’ll be VW’s solution either, at least not for long. I know that many buyers of these cars like the idea of exclusivity and limited production, but VW has a pretty aggressive approach to expanding sales and maximizing profits. If there’s a chance to do that by expanding GT3 production, that’s what I expect they’ll do - maybe not this year, but soon. They'll find a way.
In a past life I was connected to the global mobile phone production business. I agree no one in sales/marketing wants to leave money on the table but we are talking a different step function in capital deployment when we are looking at a car manufacturer. Even with more demand than capacity the dilemma for the company is not how to potentially make more 911s, its actually how to best return margin from thee product mix and the demand pressure they have in place, In 2013-2014 that is in the Panamera (facelift soon) Cayenne and for 2013 Boxster/Cayman (new models). Growth markets and high margin product. Volume here drives margin and PAG have residual margin at the end of product life/cycles as they amortise production investment quickly over new production volumes.

The fact is regardless of the demand for the little old GT3 it will make no difference form a board and CFO point of view if the factories can better deploy that resource to other product lines holding more margin and having strong demand. If there were no capacity or resource constraints it may be different.

In the meantime dont bank on any significant increase in GT3 and RS production volumes for 2013 and 2014 generation cycles. As AP or one of the other sensor execs has already stated in print in the UK recently to a group of 991 GT3 buyers when on a day at Silverstone, there will no more than 4000 units of GT3/RS produced this model cycle. The UK dealers are already out of allocations for the GT3 (Q3 '13-Q3 '14) and now upselling to RS.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I understand your perspective, since my perspective was similar when I had limited track experience. I'm not a great driver, far below the pros and even the better club racers, but I've spent enough time on track to realize that you can't appreciate what driving really is until you've reached a modicum of track competency. And note that my definition would render someone a non-poseur if they at least intend to learn to drive the car. But people can do as they please and buy the car for whatever reasons they desire - their money, their life. I'm just offering a definition of poseur, based on my view that cars are tools, and the GT3 is supposed to be a tool for serious track driving.
Most if not all who buy the GT3 have every intention of trying to drive the car reasonable close to its limit but certainly will fail to do so. Very few will get to 75% of its ability regardless of instruction or track work. This is the case with all high performance sport cars.

If you want a definition of a poseur it is simply this;

One who buys a high performance sport car and rarely if ever exceeds the speed limit.

That is a poseur.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

This whole poseur thread is a bunch of pretentious drivel.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:09 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
This whole poseur thread is a bunch of pretentious drivel.
Not really. One of the criticisms of Porsche management is that the car was designed to appeal to a new group of buyers who would not have bought earlier editions of the GT3 due to their desire for comfort/convenience along with their insufficient driving experience/skills. I used the word "poseur" to loosely define that group. As an aside, I do not agree with that characterization of the car's design and engineering.

As you may have noticed. RL'ers are often dissatisfied when specificity is lacking. In their endless search for accuracy, some members are seeking to better define "poseur". I think it's kind of fun.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Most if not all who buy the GT3 have every intention of trying to drive the car reasonable close to its limit but certainly will fail to do so. Very few will get to 75% of its ability regardless of instruction or track work. This is the case with all high performance sport cars.
No, another comment based on inexperience. It's hard to know what you don't know, easier to know what you previously didn't know once you know it. Plenty of people can drive it and other sports cars at 7.5/10ths or above with sufficient track experience. I do it routinely.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Ok, pretentious drivel or not, I'll play. To add my own slant to some of what's already been mentioned, a poseur is someone who buys a fast car mainly as a status symbol to give the impression that they are savvy about automobiles and driving when in fact they really aren't.

If you're an enthusiast, like all of us here are, I suppose that's why it's annoying to have people say the new GT3 is for poseurs. The people who are buying the car to impress, just as the ones who bought previous versions to impress, aren't hanging out on car message forums, and aren't getting the poseur "message" anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
No, another comment based on inexperience. It's hard to know what you don't know, easier to know what you previously didn't know once you know it. Plenty of people can drive it and other sports cars at 7.5/10ths or above with sufficient track experience. I do it routinely.
Have to agree with Manifold here. I drive 9/10ths frequently. Perhaps too frequently
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ok, pretentious drivel or not, I'll play. To add my own slant to some of what's already been mentioned, a poseur is someone who buys a fast car mainly as a status symbol to give the impression that they are savvy about automobiles and driving when in fact they really aren't.

If you're an enthusiast, like all of us here are, I suppose that's why it's annoying to have people say the new GT3 is for poseurs. The people who are buying the car to impress, just as the ones who bought previous versions to impress, aren't hanging out on car message forums, and aren't getting the poseur "message" anyway.
I think mike nails it here. It's not about your ability, but more your reason for purchase. Is it to "look" a certain way, or because you "value" the experience of a hardcore version. I don't believe talent or experience has anything to do with it. Now, would it make sense to work your way up to a gt3, maybe starting with a miata, so you can truly appreciate it? Maybe.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Dude-
Pro

I don't think anyone who buys a GT3 can really be called a poseur. GT3's are unique in the driving experience department but is cheaper than the TT, TTS. In terms of price and status, I think the TT and TTS has it beat for the general perception of social status. Then there are Ferrari's and Lambos who trump it in price.

I find more of the poseurs calling from manual guys. Thats just plain stupidity because they assume all new GT3 owners can't drive stick. They think all these years of heel and toe makes them god of driving but don't realize its not all that hard or special and it really shouldn't take you years to develop. It reminds me of Conventional reel fisherman's not accepting Spinners as the new way of fishing. They'll stand their ground til the end of time and will never enjoy the pleasures of all the years of what they missed on what technology can offer.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dude-
It reminds me of Conventional reel fisherman's not accepting Spinners as the new way of fishing. They'll stand their ground til the end of time and will never enjoy the pleasures of all the years of what they missed on what technology can offer.
As an avid fisherman I get the analogy. I tend to fish high end spinners and love my Shimano Stellas for offshore jigging in particular. No more backlash and can cast with reckless abandon makes them ideal for working poppers and the like.

Quick Reply: 991GT3 US allocations