Sponsored by:

991GT3 US allocations

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I passed on my own order for an RS 4.0 at MSRP because I didn't want to do business with the dealer, and the car was not a compelling value for my interests. At that time, nobody on the planet was sharing their crystal ball -- there was at least two cars at MSRP in the Bay Area, and at least one other I found just by asking here on Rennlist. A dealer then held the car and refused to sell it to other buyers. They flipped it via an unscrupulous deal, then another dealer held the car for six months before getting maybe a 10% profit.

As the philosopher Mooty said recently, I mistake the RS 4.0 for a car to be driven. In fact, it's a car to be owned and posed. There are just a handful of exceptions to this use.

If cars were investments and I missed out on a 10% gain on at least a 10% risk of loss, I'd say that was a mediocre deal. As a car, 4.0 simply was not (is not) worth the premium over a 3.8 when comparing msrp, and certainly not worth the premium being scalped out of the secondary market.

As for NZ vs USA markets, it's summer in the USA and there's basically no 3.8's for sale. Maybe 5 or 10 in the whole country. Maybe another 5 or so, not really for sale, just held out by dealers as high price "suckers only need apply." I check from month to month and scratch my chin about selling my 3.8 at whatever might be a reasonable and fair market. Right now, I'd say it's about 10% under msrp. Pretty good for any 911. Still, it's winter in the antipodes, and maybe a small bubble in premium pricing is deflating. It is utterly impossible to know why market prices fluctuate. One can speculate that it's a simple causality in plain view, but as someone who's business it is to trade markets since last century, I am of the carefully constructed opinion that supply and demand do not dance to the beat of a single drum.
Great email. Entirely agree. Markets are fickle and often hard to identify the specific drivers. It could be seasonable too. 10%-15% depreciation over 3+ years is exceptional. ...summer vs winter can make a big difference as you say.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

I passed on my own order for an RS 4.0 at MSRP because I didn't want to do business with the dealer, and the car was not a compelling value for my interests. At that time, nobody on the planet was sharing their crystal ball -- there was at least two cars at MSRP in the Bay Area, and at least one other I found just by asking here on Rennlist. A dealer then held the car and refused to sell it to other buyers. They flipped it via an unscrupulous deal, then another dealer held the car for six months before getting maybe a 10% profit.

As the philosopher Mooty said recently, I mistake the RS 4.0 for a car to be driven. In fact, it's a car to be owned and posed. There are just a handful of exceptions to this use.

If cars were investments and I missed out on a 10% gain on at least a 10% risk of loss, I'd say that was a mediocre deal. As a car, 4.0 simply was not (is not) worth the premium over a 3.8 when comparing msrp, and certainly not worth the premium being scalped out of the secondary market.

As for NZ vs USA markets, it's summer in the USA and there's basically no 3.8's for sale. Maybe 5 or 10 in the whole country. Maybe another 5 or so, not really for sale, just held out by dealers as high price "suckers only need apply." I check from month to month and scratch my chin about selling my 3.8 at whatever might be a reasonable and fair market. Right now, I'd say it's about 10% under msrp. Pretty good for any 911. Still, it's winter in the antipodes, and maybe a small bubble in premium pricing is deflating. It is utterly impossible to know why market prices fluctuate. One can speculate that it's a simple causality in plain view, but as someone whose business it is to trade markets since last century, I am of the carefully constructed opinion that supply and demand do not dance to the beat of a single drum.
i hope you realized that mooty the philosopher is full of **** and previous poke at you was in jest.

but you were way too kind in above paragraph one.
you mean CARLSEN sent a customer, whom i also know, to lease the car from that first dealer, which i dont do business with. then put such RS4.0 into their own inventory as USED car thereby legitimately scalp the next inexperienced buyer after subject car sat for over 6 months. oh, i am not conjecturing, i have FACTS on that deal.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i hope you realized that mooty the philosopher is full of **** and previous poke at you was in jest.

but you were way too kind in above paragraph one.
you mean CARLSEN sent a customer, whom i also know, to lease the car from that first dealer, which i dont do business with. then put such RS4.0 into their own inventory as USED car thereby legitimately scalp the next inexperienced buyer after subject car sat for over 6 months. oh, i am not conjecturing, i have FACTS on that deal.
In jest? No, I took it personally. You are now the subject of a North Korean missile attack.
Sadly, I have to report, said missile strike appears to have extinguished itself harmlessly in the Pacific Ocean, some 4 miles off the coast of North Korea. Dammit!
As for "my" RS 4.0, yes, I saw the poor fecking thing sit in the rain and get advertised week after week begging for a 10% gouge like a cheap hooker -- yes, it had the appropriate cabin decorations for a cheap hooker, but that's immaterial! Really disheartening. A lesson learned. It showed me more than one character reveal their true colors.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Going back to the original topic of the thread - just got an email from dealer confirming November allocation for delivery around New Year's day. I was already expecting to get the car no earlier than Q2, so started planning for European Delivery, but with the November production date I do not think I will have the patience. Santa will have a heavy bag this year.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Congrats Max. That's one advantage of setting the bar low - they can over succeed LOL!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to take the plunge on a 2013 997 turbo S 1700 miles. Porsche has got us where they want...talking and speculating and extremely anxious about who what where this BS 991 GT3. Like someone else said earlier in this thread about a Ferrari. Just wait two years and 991GT3 will be available in auto trader at a lesser price. Who knows 997.2 RS may just be of more value because of the not too debated issue of PDK only 991 GT3.

Speaking of dealerships. Last friday called my sales rep, sent her emails, left a message its thursday and the only reason she gave me a call back today finally its because i sent her a message that stated call me or I am going elsewhere. Excuses after excuses of why she did not return my calls.....like they say excuses are like belly buttons every body has one. Anyway she agreed to talk to the sales manager in order to help me with a petition and she promised so help her who know who that she would call before the days end and guess what no call with answers. This is nothing more than royal jelly fk BS.

I dont know about you guys, but dropping 150K for a car is at least in my book a lot of money. Can these people care a bit about their customers. Can Porsche stop jerking us around. I guess not apparently.

So chances are I will just sit in a 997.2 turbo S for a GT3 to appear in the auto trader.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:58 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine if mooty who is buying cars left and right still gets the BS from our beloved Porsche dealers what can I expect right..........

About a two years ago I got so pissed off at the Porsche dealer in Albuquerque that in a matter of days sold my 997 and bought an M3. If you guys think that the dealers are sorry in California just try Albuquerque they are the worse.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toplabels
I am about to take the plunge on a 2013 997 turbo S 1700 miles. Porsche has got us where they want...talking and speculating and extremely anxious about who what where this BS 991 GT3. Like someone else said earlier in this thread about a Ferrari. Just wait two years and 991GT3 will be available in auto trader at a lesser price. Who knows 997.2 RS may just be of more value because of the not too debated issue of PDK only 991 GT3.

Speaking of dealerships. Last friday called my sales rep, sent her emails, left a message its thursday and the only reason she gave me a call back today finally its because i sent her a message that stated call me or I am going elsewhere. Excuses after excuses of why she did not return my calls.....like they say excuses are like belly buttons every body has one. Anyway she agreed to talk to the sales manager in order to help me with a petition and she promised so help her who know who that she would call before the days end and guess what no call with answers. This is nothing more than royal jelly fk BS.

I dont know about you guys, but dropping 150K for a car is at least in my book a lot of money. Can these people care a bit about their customers. Can Porsche stop jerking us around. I guess not apparently.

So chances are I will just sit in a 997.2 turbo S for a GT3 to appear in the auto trader.
1. smaller dealer out of state is your friend
2. what goes around comes around. money will not stay cheap foreveer, when the next crisis hit, they come begging. i used to collect watches, SSD was unobtanium. they wont not me the time of the day. 2007-09, everytime my local dealer had one, i get a call.
3. it's a 'service industry'. service the customers. as dumb as i am, i learned my lesson. the rest of you are smarter, and not be jerked around.
4. new motto for me. if i had to work too hard to get the car, i 'll just keep driving my odyssey. when enough porschphile get pissed like me well, PAG isn't that big a compnay if GM can trip so can PAG.... just matter of time.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

In jest? No, I took it personally. You are now the subject of a North Korean missile attack.
Sadly, I have to report, said missile strike appears to have extinguished itself harmlessly in the Pacific Ocean, some 4 miles off the coast of North Korea. Dammit!
As for "my" RS 4.0, yes, I saw the poor fecking thing sit in the rain and get advertised week after week begging for a 10% gouge like a cheap hooker -- yes, it had the appropriate cabin decorations for a cheap hooker, but that's immaterial! Really disheartening. A lesson learned. It showed me more than one character reveal their true colors.
ha, north korea.... the new target after ussr and the oil gulf... no wonder my social security chk is not arriving on time.

u are right about your 4.0.
i like the taco truck outside carlsen, when i go get my $1.25 taco, i see that car out in the lot.... if it had black int..... i may have crumpled.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toplabels

Hi mate. Sorry you lost your patience with these guys and decided against a 991 GT3. Ive had mine on order since September 2012 and will not get to drive it till November 2013 so I understand what it is to wait. That said, wont you loose a fair chunk of wedge on a 997 TS between now and say late 2014/early 2015 when 991 GT3 start appearing in any numbers used? I know in this part of the world as soon as they start delivering 991 TS in October the bottom usually falls out of the market for the previous model....
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
brian1215
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any dealer out there with GT3 allocation, i'm trying to order a car ASAP but none of the dealers here in california have any GT3. Some say they have no allocation, some say they have been pre sold, i am confused. I just wanna order the car ASAP. Please help anyone
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brian1215
any dealer out there with GT3 allocation, i'm trying to order a car ASAP but none of the dealers here in california have any GT3. Some say they have no allocation, some say they have been pre sold, i am confused. I just wanna order the car ASAP. Please help anyone
My guess you will have to keep trying anywhere in the US, because seems to me that allocations are few and spread out, I was told by Champion in Florida (which is one of the larger P-dealers) that they had 4 allocations for 2013 and another 15 for Q1 through Q3 next year

I skipped my slot, and kept my deposit for a Q3 14 or whenever the car is available with buckets from the Factory, and after I have seen the Factory Maintenance schedule for track use
Not in a hurry, and who knows what happens in the mean time

Good luck hunting

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike2727
My guess you will have to keep trying anywhere in the US, because seems to me that allocations are few and spread out, I was told by Champion in Florida (which is one of the larger P-dealers) that they had 4 allocations for 2013 and another 15 for Q1 through Q3 next year

I skipped my slot, and kept my deposit for a Q3 14 or whenever the car is available with buckets from the Factory, and after I have seen the Factory Maintenance schedule for track use
Not in a hurry, and who knows what happens in the mean time

Good luck hunting

Mike
Good point. I hadn't thought about it, but no doubt somewhere in the owner manual there will be a revised maintenance schedule or replacement interval for the new centerlocks. I hope not, but I fear so.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Good point. I hadn't thought about it, but no doubt somewhere in the owner manual there will be a revised maintenance schedule or replacement interval for the new centerlocks. I hope not, but I fear so.
Yes that was my thought after the 997.2 debacle, and since PDK-S is also new, I wondered if and what the track maintenance schedule will be

I had a Stage 3 DSG in my GTI go bad after a while on the track, fortunately it was coverd under warranty, but that would have been $ 9k for the 25k GTI
if not covered

My rep would check with the Service Dept, to see what if any Maintenance schedule(s) are in place for track use, will have to wait and see

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike2727
Yes that was my thought after the 997.2 debacle, and since PDK-S is also new, I wondered if and what the track maintenance schedule will be

I had a Stage 3 DSG in my GTI go bad after a while on the track, fortunately it was coverd under warranty, but that would have been $ 9k for the 25k GTI
if not covered

My rep would check with the Service Dept, to see what if any Maintenance schedule(s) are in place for track use, will have to wait and see

Mike
I'm not worried about PDK. I beat the crap out of it on track in AWD since 2009 and couldn't budge the temperature gauge. More problems with the manual clutches and pressure plates in 997.2's. But if they come along and say it costs $10/mile to run the new car on the track, that gets old. I just can't believe Porsche would fall short on engineering, but that's where they face-planted on the 997.2's, so it's just too much like blind faith to assume they won't put limits on the new centerlock design (and they're still using the Carrera GT, Cup-like hubs on the race cars, and they can be rattled off with a gun, ... if they have us doing the hokie pokie torquing on the new hubs, well, better not to think dark thoughts ... but come the revolution, some marketing folks with be first with their backs against the wall. : )

Quick Reply: 991GT3 US allocations