Sponsored by:

Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
It's comments like these combined with everything else you've been posting over the years that lead me to believe you're nothing more than a troll.
Is that the best you can do? Try answering the question. What difference does it make if the new car is faster?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mike, I am not sure anyone here has advocated that having a "slower" performance car is better. The thing is, IMO, and based on a lot of experience with a lot of drivers in a lot of cars, I seriously doubt 99.5% of folks here or in the larger GT3 buyer universe will be able to tell whether the new car is slower or faster thhan its predecessor. So very few are even close to using the performance envelope of GT3, whether on track or street, that the benefits of something like PDK will be literally invisible. Yes, the cars will be MUCH easier to use in ruush hour traffic. But beyond that, Porsche claims 1/2 car length per shift? That is a metric--whether true or BS--that takes a pro driver and a lot of specialized mesurement gear to even ascertain. Again IMHO, this will be imperceptible to the buyer.
VR, that's a fair assessment and you make good points. I disagree, though, about the benefits of PDK being literally invisible. As an autocrosser, I'm convinced that PDK is an advantage. I have a friend with a 997.2 S pretty much identical to mine, except for transmission. We've both driven MT's for years, had a lot of autox experience and have both attended multiple professional driving schools, but we're not racers by any stretch of the imagination. When we've swapped cars at events each of us is slower in the manual car and faster with PDK. I don't claim that this is definitive, but from my POV it's an indicator that you don't need to be a pro to appreciate the benefits of PDK.

As you correctly point out, 99.5% of us won't come close to testing the capabilities of a GT3, whether with a MT or PDK. I certainly won't. All the more reason, perhaps, why PDK may make it easier to concentrate on, learn, and eventually even exploit some of the other aspects of a GT3's performance envelope and in the process become a better driver overall. Rather than being something that an amateur or novice will never notice, PDK can help expand the experience. And that, whether there's a clutch pedal involved or not, is fun.

Just a different perspective......
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Is that the best you can do? Try answering the question. What difference does it make if the new car is faster?
The question you asked has been answered over and over already - but then you already know that Speed isn't absolutely everything. If it were - we'd all be driving Vipers or ZR1's and using our savings for hookers and blow.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Which is the opposite of the 997 GT3, by the way. The 997 GT3 shares the entire street Carrera suspension with a couple rubber bushings replaced with aluminum. While the 997 GT3 Cup uses totally different uprights, etc. If they've gone to the trouble of replacing the suspension components on the 991 GT3 that seems a good sign?
Lower control arms, uprights, coilovers between 997 Carrera and GT3 are totally different.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Since we're all guessing here,my guess is that the 991 GT3 will be a great fun car,plenty involving! I have zero concerns about nannies,electric steering,CLs or RWS.
Let's be positive about it...
PDK will undoubtedly be good,fun and fast...
It will sound incredible stock,let alone when you'll start modding the exhaust!
The improved versatility will attract a lot of new customers,which is Porsche's goal,because they're in to make money...
They will connect this new car somehow to Cup cars,at least for marketing purposes if not anything else...
Buckets will be offered at some point.
How reliable the whole package will be when driven hard on a track brings the big question mark right now...we shall see...
Personally,looking to upgrade to a 991 makes me think I can have a GT3 for 10-15K more than a Carrera S,a lot more power,more usability for NYC death trap roads,driveways etc,but I'm not ready for an automatic transmission,not yet anyway...too bad...this could've been great!
I know AP's pretty tense right now,his new baby will go in front of the panel soon...he DOES NOT want to fail this one!
Let's wish him Good Luck...and for those that ordered...I really hope you'll be getting a great car...your reviews will probably determine many of us to upgrade.
Now where did I put that bottle of Kool-Aid...?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Lower control arms, uprights, coilovers between 997 Carrera and GT3 are totally different.
Coilovers, swaybars, shocks obviously. But check the PET, part numbers for nearly everything are the same:
Rear upright, same part number: 997 331 111 07 Rear wishbones are same PN. Rear LCA, dogbones, etc, etc, all the same thing. In the rear the GT3 got an aluminum subframe mounting bushing instead of rubber, that's it.

Up front I'll give you the ability to adjust camber with the shimable LCA and an upright that moves the RCH back to where it should be for the lower ride height and gives it the same suspension patterns as the 997S, but that's about it. When you get down to it the changes between the 997S and GT3 are ridiculously small. The GT3 didn't even get stiffer bushings on the dogbones, which seems the first thing you'd do.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get down to it the changes between the 997S and GT3 are ridiculously small.
That's interesting. I've never studied the actual differences. Not sure if that's a testament to just how good the 997S is, or whether the 997 GT3 is just a poseur-mobile.

I think the former though. I loved both of those cars, and in fact in some ways I missed the 997S more (was a better street car IMO).
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Which is the opposite of the 997 GT3, by the way. The 997 GT3 shares the entire street Carrera suspension with a couple rubber bushings replaced with aluminum. While the 997 GT3 Cup uses totally different uprights, etc. If they've gone to the trouble of replacing the suspension components on the 991 GT3 that seems a good sign?
Coilovers, swaybars, shocks obviously. But check the PET, part numbers for nearly everything are the same:
Rear upright, same part number: 997 331 111 07 Rear wishbones are same PN. Rear LCA, dogbones, etc, etc, all the same thing. In the rear the GT3 got an aluminum subframe mounting bushing instead of rubber, that's it.

Up front I'll give you the ability to adjust camber with the shimable LCA and an upright that moves the RCH back to where it should be for the lower ride height and gives it the same suspension patterns as the 997S, but that's about it. When you get down to it the changes between the 997S and GT3 are ridiculously small. The GT3 didn't even get stiffer bushings on the dogbones, which seems the first thing you'd do.
So, there is a big difference.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
So, there is a big difference.
If you think so. The 997 GT3 shares 90%+ of it's suspension arms , bushings, etc with the 997S. The 997 Cup shares maybe 10%, if that? I'd call that a big difference...

The 991 GT3 shares zero with the 991S? Probably counts.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

A lot of this seems to boil down to intangible/emotional factors related to Porsche's unique heritage among sports cars and their connections with racing. We understandably lust for a GT3 that has a 'real' connection with their heritage and especially their race cars, and feel betrayed if they decide to stop producing that and instead cater to the preferences of the broader market which doesn't have that perspective.

But looking at the actual use of the car, it's not a race car and not intended to be. It can surely be used as an (overly) fast street car which rivals the performance of exotics like Ferrari et al for a comparatively bargain price. And hopefully it can also be used as primarily a fun DE/open track car which is also streetable, so no mandatory trailing, etc.

In those contexts, the choice of manual vs PDK is subjective and it doesn't matter much which is faster since, as noted, few drivers will be capable of routinely driving it above 9/10ths anyway. Lack of proper track seats is a bigger issue, and IMO they totally dropped the ball in not having them available for the first production cars.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

And I would ask if you really, truly believe that you will be able to tell whether it is faster, or whether you'll just believe it is because someone else says so.

Now...for the Cup, RSR, GT3R, etc, no question, granny paddles are faster. That is what RACING is. But for a street car that is occasiionally DE'd? I really, sincerely doubt more than 4 or 5 folks here could tell. It'll be easier, that is for sure.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
VR, that's a fair assessment and you make good points. I disagree, though, about the benefits of PDK being literally invisible. As an autocrosser, I'm convinced that PDK is an advantage. I have a friend with a 997.2 S pretty much identical to mine, except for transmission. We've both driven MT's for years, had a lot of autox experience and have both attended multiple professional driving schools, but we're not racers by any stretch of the imagination. When we've swapped cars at events each of us is slower in the manual car and faster with PDK. I don't claim that this is definitive, but from my POV it's an indicator that you don't need to be a pro to appreciate the benefits of PDK.

As you correctly point out, 99.5% of us won't come close to testing the capabilities of a GT3, whether with a MT or PDK. I certainly won't. All the more reason, perhaps, why PDK may make it easier to concentrate on, learn, and eventually even exploit some of the other aspects of a GT3's performance envelope and in the process become a better driver overall. Rather than being something that an amateur or novice will never notice, PDK can help expand the experience. And that, whether there's a clutch pedal involved or not, is fun.

Just a different perspective......
Fair enough. I have never autocrossed, so have no perspective. I agree that it will be easier to go fast with the granny paddles. But again, many of us (whether we currently own a GT3 or not) viewed/view the GT3 as probably THE most involving, awesome sports car/quasi watered down race car there ever has been. A lot of that comes (IMHO) from the high skill levels needed to drive one well...and this includes the beauty of perfect 3-pedal heel & toe downshifts. I recognize that others don't share this love of perfecting this skill, which is why I truly wish Porsche was offering a choice.

Again, I hear ya, though.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think so. The 997 GT3 shares 90%+ of it's suspension arms , bushings, etc with the 997S. The 997 Cup shares maybe 10%, if that? I'd call that a big difference...
You can order and bolt-on many of the 996/997 race car parts (including the uprights and suspension arms you mentioned) onto the 996/997 street GT3s. Plenty of people have done so. That is a pretty close link to the race cars, to my mind.

The 991 GT3 shares zero with the 991S? Probably counts.
Call me a skeptic, but I'd wait until you have the 991 PETs for both those cars, too, to get the apples to apples comparison.
I really hope they don't share much.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If Porsche is offering manual with other 911 models and not the GT3 and 991TT what is their reason? Years ago when the issue came up with Ferrari, they basically said the performance parameters of the car could not get near its capability with manual. The F1 transmission was able to. Obviously their concern was to build a car equipped to maximize the cars performance. It would be like putting inferior tires on the car thereby substantially compromising its performance.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
A lot of this seems to boil down to intangible/emotional factors related to Porsche's unique heritage among sports cars and their connections with racing. We understandably lust for a GT3 that has a 'real' connection with their heritage and especially their race cars, and feel betrayed if they decide to stop producing that and instead cater to the preferences of the broader market which doesn't have that perspective.

But looking at the actual use of the car, it's not a race car and not intended to be. It can surely be used as an (overly) fast street car which rivals the performance of exotics like Ferrari et al for a comparatively bargain price. And hopefully it can also be used as primarily a fun DE/open track car which is also streetable, so no mandatory trailing, etc.

In those contexts, the choice of manual vs PDK is subjective and it doesn't matter much which is faster since, as noted, few drivers will be capable of routinely driving it above 9/10ths anyway. Lack of proper track seats is a bigger issue, and IMO they totally dropped the ball in not having them available for the first production cars.
Agreed. I don't want a PDK-S and the sport buckets should've been available from the get-go. Still ambivalent about RWS but oh well.

I do hope that they start racing the new engine in the future and continue to develop it so that it'd be as "bulletproof" as the Mezger. One can hope.....

Also, if you look at various interviews it appears that AP was not a fan of going to PDK. His enthusiasm drops a notch and he talks about how it was discussed and debated for a looong time before finally settling on the PDK "S"......

Agree that there should be a choice.

Last edited by the_vetman; 05-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

If Porsche is offering manual with other 911 models and not the GT3 and 991TT what is their reason? Years ago when the issue came up with Ferrari, they basically said the performance parameters of the car could not get near its capability with manual. The F1 transmission was able to. Obviously their concern was to build a car equipped to maximize the cars performance. It would be like putting inferior tires on the car thereby substantially compromising its performance.
Yeah well...the REAL reason was that fewer & fewer Ferrari buyers were opting for manual transmissions, as the brand became less popular with true enthusiasts and moreso with the new money flashy bling crowd. So the costs of designing testing and certifying for emissions 2 verions of each model became less & less appealing. However, IIRC, quite a bit more Porsche buyers historically opt for manuals.

Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3