Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013 | 10:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
who says go test drive at dealer.
this is why i hang out on 991gt3 board.
i am making new friends who would let me test their gt3
my old friends are well... old, they like three pedal cars.
Ah, well. Three pedal street cars require actual skill to drive well on track.
Old 05-04-2013 | 03:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer
Moot multi-quote friend it is
help fix bandwidth problem does
it's hard to multiquote using tiny iphone. i am waiting for the big screen iphone and perhaps that will get aapl stock up so it's actually worth more than toilet paper.
Old 05-04-2013 | 04:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
love it.
i sure waste plenty bandwidth
but i learned about 7 cup fast. no good for sure.
scud is very very tempting.
for once, ppl would think i actually bought a new car since 2002.
how much are scuds now?
i'll trade my house in.

carlos, send me a pix of you carrying your bike on top of scud like you did with GT2. then i may finally give in.
Scuderias are in the $155k-$215k range depending on color, mileage, options, # of owners, etc.

If you want to drive it 20,000 miles or more (and you will), don't buy a sub-1,000 miles car on a special order color.

If I were in the market and for my use, I would buy a 2008 w/o the CF package, and at least 10,000 miles and no more than 10 track days, resale Red. This is a $165k car, and your awesome negotiation skills would take it down to mid to high $150k, or priced the same as a similarly equipped 991-Wannabe-GT3. But the 991 will follow the depreciation trend of the 991, while the Fiat has stayed flat for almost 3 years, and the price tag on its replacement is coming on the $300k+ range.

My Fiat turned 4 years old last month, I have not kept a car for so long ever in life, but this thing is that good. I keep driving newer cars, and the emotion and feedback is not close to the Fiat. Heck, I drove tcsracing's 997 GT3 RS and felt disconnected and numb compared to the Scuderia, at the same time it is the best setup GT3RS I have driven or ridden. The Scuderia is that good, but until you drive it with a proper setup (not the horrid stock alignment, and stock tires), you won't know. And without test driving the 991-WannabeGT3, surely a stock 997 GT3 RS is more connected, and tcsracing's GT3RS is even more connected.

Fly to Florida, and take mine for a couple of days.

You already have a 4.0RS. Keep it. When you get the Scuderia, keep it too. 991-WannabeGT3, flip it. 3.8/3.6 GT3, renew them.
Old 05-05-2013 | 04:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

You already have a 4.0RS. Keep it. When you get the Scuderia, keep it too. 991-WannabeGT3, flip it. 3.8/3.6 GT3, renew them.

===> as usual you are right.
keeping 4.0
flipped 3.8
would love a scud, but need a fourth job and stop sleeping.
renew 3.6, yes, i would love to have a virgin 6gt3.....
Old 05-07-2013 | 04:44 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread. Lots of negatives on a car that's not available yet.

Many of us are waiting to see how the new GT3 handles on the track.

Some of us are also waiting for info on the C7-Z06.

Corvette's ad agency... Commonwealth releases plans to target Porsche in marketing the new Stingray,
published by Autoweek today.

May we all live in interesting times.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 05-07-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2013 | 04:54 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Scuderias are in the $155k-$215k range depending on color, mileage, options, # of owners, etc.

If you want to drive it 20,000 miles or more (and you will), don't buy a sub-1,000 miles car on a special order color.

If I were in the market and for my use, I would buy a 2008 w/o the CF package, and at least 10,000 miles and no more than 10 track days, resale Red. This is a $165k car, and your awesome negotiation skills would take it down to mid to high $150k, or priced the same as a similarly equipped 991-Wannabe-GT3. But the 991 will follow the depreciation trend of the 991, while the Fiat has stayed flat for almost 3 years, and the price tag on its replacement is coming on the $300k+ range.

My Fiat turned 4 years old last month, I have not kept a car for so long ever in life, but this thing is that good. I keep driving newer cars, and the emotion and feedback is not close to the Fiat. Heck, I drove tcsracing's 997 GT3 RS and felt disconnected and numb compared to the Scuderia, at the same time it is the best setup GT3RS I have driven or ridden. The Scuderia is that good, but until you drive it with a proper setup (not the horrid stock alignment, and stock tires), you won't know. And without test driving the 991-WannabeGT3, surely a stock 997 GT3 RS is more connected, and tcsracing's GT3RS is even more connected.

Fly to Florida, and take mine for a couple of days.

Have you had a chance of test driving a mp4-12c ? I wanted to get a GT2, but i'm over it. None of the Porsche cars do it for me either. Next car i'm thinking mp-12c or Scud( you have convinced me about the scud in a lot of your post minus the clutch part)....it will be a DD / Track toy. My commute is not long. I don't care about resale value as I use my cars for a long time. I care about reliability, fun factor, and parts available at a reasonable price / service intervals. This next car will replace my turbo. Owned the turbo for 7+ years, DD/Track toy. I'm leaning towards the mp4-12c as i'm guessing due to the dual clutch, means longer life time on the clutch. I keep my cars for a long time but i expect maximum results during my keeping.
Old 05-07-2013 | 05:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I care about reliability, fun factor, and parts available at a reasonable price / service intervals.
No offense......and you are thinking about a Ferrari or McLaren?
Old 05-07-2013 | 07:28 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No offense......and you are thinking about a Ferrari or McLaren?
McLaren mostly... reasonable has different meaning for everyone.

I do not think a Ferrari will suit me. To fragile. I believe McLaren is a better engineered car at a (yes!) reasonable cost for what you are getting.
I tend not to break cars to often either. So that helps.
Old 05-07-2013 | 07:41 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Mike,

I'm not concern about labor cost. I can do just about most maintenance work on the car. I just do not have the time to do a job that will take more then a weekend. So lets put it this way, I plan to do all maintenance work on the car anything short of dropping the motor/ transmission to do a clutch job. Other then that, it is fairly straight forward to work on cars. All I'm looking is how far apart the service intervals are, and parts required. I can gauge then how much it will cost to run the car. As a example the 911's are sub 5000 bucks a year in parts to maintain it as a daily driver with top notch service. Cheap car to run imo.
Old 05-07-2013 | 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

F1CrazyDriver,

As I said, I meant no offense and my comment was a gentle jibe at most. It's just not often that one hears Ferrari and "reasonable parts" mentioned in the same conversation! I think a 911 is probably a significantly more "reasonable" car to maintain than either the Ferrari or McClaren, but as you point out, it's a relative term. Anyway, either the F or M car would be a fantastic ride.
Old 05-07-2013 | 09:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

As a example the 911's are sub 5000 bucks a year in parts to maintain it as a daily driver with top notch service.
Only if you do not track it.
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:10 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Even if you don't track. Tires alone are ~$3K a year.
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:54 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Ignore my prior unedited post, please.

Last edited by jfr0317; 05-07-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 05-08-2013 | 12:45 AM
vf430
Racer

Have you had a chance of test driving a mp4-12c ? I wanted to get a GT2, but i'm over it. None of the Porsche cars do it for me either. Next car i'm thinking mp-12c or Scud( you have convinced me about the scud in a lot of your post minus the clutch part)....it will be a DD / Track toy. My commute is not long. I don't care about resale value as I use my cars for a long time. I care about reliability, fun factor, and parts available at a reasonable price / service intervals. This next car will replace my turbo. Owned the turbo for 7+ years, DD/Track toy. I'm leaning towards the mp4-12c as i'm guessing due to the dual clutch, means longer life time on the clutch. I keep my cars for a long time but i expect maximum results during my keeping.
I test drove a Mp4 and did not like it much compared to my Scud. If you are after a raw and exciting car, Scud is the way to go. Mp4 sounds muffled ,shifts lack the feedback of single clutch F1, it doesn't compare to high pitched Ferrari sound. Mp4 is very fast , handles good ...but I prefer the character of the scud and that's what i ended up buying.

In my personal experience of owning 996 tt and a brand new 997.2 Gt3 , F430 and now Scuderia. I found Ferrari far more reliable than the Porsche. I drove over 7000 miles on the 430 and 4500 miles on the Scuderia ..not a single issue. These are not all track miles but just hardcore back roads high rpm driving (500 + mile days) , not C&C type of driving. Maybe on the track the Porsche's do well especially the GT cars.

Porsche Gt3 , second day AC failed, 3 months later oil leaked under engine. 996 tt had faulty rear hydraulic wing, multiple clutch accumulators, RMS issues etc.

All in all reliability should not be a concern with modern Ferrari, they are solid cars . I know its surprising , but that's been my experience and several others share my viewpoint. All i did was oil change on both Ferrari's. 3 Oil Changes over 12k miles of driving bliss. Cost me $1200 bucks. Not bad!
Old 05-08-2013 | 01:31 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Only if you do not track it.
Not including track cost. Only DD. Track cost are separate.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Even if you don't track. Tires alone are ~$3K a year.
For my Porka ? $1750 mounted for new Michelins a year.
12k miles a year
3 oil changes -300 in oil/filters
1 transmission fluid change- 100
1 differential fluid change- 100
1 alignment- 200
1/2 set of pads plus rotors = 600 for pads + 700 for rotors / 2 = 650 a year
1 cabin filter- 20
1 air intake filter - 50
1 time spark plugs - 40
1 brake fluid change- 120
1 serpentine belt-50

total of 3370

the rest of 1700 is misc cost. Most of those prices i'm over estimating too..

My expectation for a Maca would be no more then 10k a year. My only concern with these automatic gearbox ( which I hate but that is the only thing new in the market) is how long the clutches will last.

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
I test drove a Mp4 and did not like it much compared to my Scud. If you are after a raw and exciting car, Scud is the way to go. Mp4 sounds muffled ,shifts lack the feedback of single clutch F1, it doesn't compare to high pitched Ferrari sound. Mp4 is very fast , handles good ...but I prefer the character of the scud and that's what i ended up buying.

In my personal experience of owning 996 tt and a brand new 997.2 Gt3 , F430 and now Scuderia. I found Ferrari far more reliable than the Porsche. I drove over 7000 miles on the 430 and 4500 miles on the Scuderia ..not a single issue. These are not all track miles but just hardcore back roads high rpm driving (500 + mile days) , not C&C type of driving. Maybe on the track the Porsche's do well especially the GT cars.

Porsche Gt3 , second day AC failed, 3 months later oil leaked under engine. 996 tt had faulty rear hydraulic wing, multiple clutch accumulators, RMS issues etc.

All in all reliability should not be a concern with modern Ferrari, they are solid cars . I know its surprising , but that's been my experience and several others share my viewpoint. All i did was oil change on both Ferrari's. 3 Oil Changes over 12k miles of driving bliss. Cost me $1200 bucks. Not bad!
Thank you sir. I will pm you to get your contact info if i may please so perhaps we can chat on the phone and you can give me a good break down of the F experience.

Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3