Sponsored by:

Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
However...you can get a manual transmission if you want in a freaking brand new CAYENNE, for God's sake.
you mean with the crappy v6? same as the 991 non s with a stick vs. the GT3
Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Exactly!!!! Well written. Maybe Porsche can call a quick audible....re name this car to GTR....and release a proper gt3 this fall..

Key part of the article IMO:

"The GT3 has always been the 911 that offered the least of what techno-crazed Germans would call "progress," but as a result, it led the sports-car world in terms of driving experience. It was the rawest, purest expression of everything that defines the 911—right down to its detuned race motor and wrist breaker of a manual shift lever."

The ****ty thing that Porsche did was not to give buyers a choice of transmissions. Instead, they are ramming PDK down our throats (like Ferrari has done). However...you can get a manual transmission if you want in a freaking brand new CAYENNE, for God's sake.

But not a GT3.

Which begs the same question for the thousandth time: why are they calling it a GT3?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Yes, it is called a CHOICE...

IMO, Andy the Prune should be apologizing to his best customers for NOT allowing a choice, and explaining that it was purely a business decision to reduce development & testing & production costs.

Instead, he acts like a little arrogant pissant & insults his best customers by telling them to shut up.

Seems to me Porsche went down this path once before, about 21 or 22 years ago when it thought its **** didn't stink and was pricing its cars in the stratosphere (IE 964 Turbo at well over $100k in 1991 dollars)...and came within weeks of going out of business when its best customers stopped buying.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

So much anger voloce rapter! Relax. I think he's basically responding to all the whiners, not one of whom have driven the car. You are so upset about this development but have never been a porsche customer, correct? And, independent of stick vs. PDK, you are not in the market for any 991 variant, correct? Not sure why you would care so much.

It's a beautiful day here in Austin, the birds are chirpin, traffic is light, coeds abound and I think it's a good day to knock off early and head to the Hula Hut. It'll do wonders for your outlook.

And a stick in the Cayenne V6 is hardly a choice. . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Such smugness, frayed!

An incorrect assumption.

Another incorrect assumption.

Care to go for the trifecta?

And the "whiners" are probably the most informed and loyal customers out there. They also include an R&T wriiter who HAS driven the car. Maybe you can get away with insulting your customers, as a lawyer, but most of the rest of the world cannot.

And the choice of transmissions in ANY vehicle is in fact a choice.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

IMO, Andy the Prune should be apologizing to his best customers for NOT allowing a choice, and explaining that it was purely a business decision to reduce development & testing & production costs.

Instead, he acts like a little arrogant pissant & insults his best customers by telling them to shut up.
While I agree with you about the transmission, I don't blame AP for calling some whiners what they are. Plenty of self proclaimed "experts" here panned RWS, for example, before having driven the car or having any clue how it would effect performance. AP and team moved the game on significantly in a number of areas (lighter motor, RWS, etc) and were generally attacked for it. I'd be a little pissed too, and tend to agree some of the more arrogant forum members here would have been wiser to hold their fire until the facts were in.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Such smugness, frayed!

An incorrect assumption.

Another incorrect assumption.

Care to go for the trifecta?

And the "whiners" are probably the most informed and loyal customers out there. They also include an R&T wriiter who HAS driven the car. Maybe you can get away with insulting your customers, as a lawyer, but most of the rest of the world cannot.

And the choice of transmissions in ANY vehicle is in fact a choice.
Before judging why not wait until you drive the car? You may find it to you're liking.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL.

What did you buy? You finally bought a Porsche?

What makes you think I insult my clients. That's a huge leap of failed logic.

Anyway, I'm simply not offended. I guess I have thicker skin, or maybe yours is just waxed paper.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is called a CHOICE...

Seems to me Porsche went down this path once before, about 21 or 22 years ago when it thought its **** didn't stink and was pricing its cars in the stratosphere (IE 964 Turbo at well over $100k in 1991 dollars)...and came within weeks of going out of business when its best customers stopped buying.
Well we are all so sorry for everyone whose feelings were hurt boo hoo hoo...Give me a break.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
While I agree with you about the transmission, I don't blame AP for calling some whiners what they are. Plenty of self proclaimed "experts" here panned RWS, for example, before having driven the car or having any clue how it would effect performance. AP and team moved the game on significantly in a number of areas (lighter motor, RWS, etc) and were generally attacked for it. I'd be a little pissed too, and tend to agree some of the more arrogant forum members here would have been wiser to hold their fire until the facts were in.
Again, an executive of a major consumer product company--which sells EXTREMEL expensive and exclusive products--would do well not to insult customers & potential customers, regardless of where his true feelings lie. Can you imagine an executive of Rolex, for example, insulting people who don't like the fact that suddenly their popular Submariner watches only come with leather bands, and metal will no longer be availabble?

Come on.

As for RWS, again, as a track enthusiast, I shudder at any electronic gizmo that alters rear toe at speed. Several other car makers have tried this, with ****-poor results. Yes, we will see hot such a gizmo holds up with track use, and how in the hell anyone will be able to do a track alignment on such a rear suspension. But experience tells me to beware.

Originally Posted by Nick
Before judging why not wait until you drive the car? You may find it to you're liking.
True. But I am judging the lack of choice, and the gratuitous smug insults directed towards customers & potential customers, not whether I like PDK or not.

Big difference.

Jeff, I do not currently own a Porsche. I have many many moons ago & may again. So...your two assumptions are incorrect.

RR, it seems the only feelings hurt here are the kool-aid drinkers who also have not driven,. tracked, or lived with the car.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Jeff, I do not currently own a Porsche. I have many many moons ago & may again. So...your two assumptions are incorrect.
So you haven't owned a Porsche in well over 10 years, have 29,000 posts on this forum, and are upset with some new sheet metal that (i) doesn't offer a choice in transmission and (ii) you are really not interested in even if it had a stick?

Chillaxe voloce. We shoudl grab a beer and catch up. It's been a few years.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Let me be honest, the less people that like the car because it is not offered in manual make my day. Fewer people to compete with in getting my allocation.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

So you haven't owned a Porsche in well over 10 years, have 29,000 posts on this forum, and are upset with some new sheet metal that (i) doesn't offer a choice in transmission and (ii) you are really not interested in even if it had a stick?

Chillaxe voloce. We shoudl grab a beer and catch up. It's been a few years.
I am all up for a beer.

(i) is correct

(ii) is once again incorrect

As for my ownership history and/or post count...in what way are these relevant? Seems those who have nothing else to say, or can't atriculate their position, ALWAYS resort to citing these as if they were some sort of slam. Sorry, it doesn't work...
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

veloci there are plenty of other rigs out there that meet your requirements. if the new gt3 represents a shift in porsche philosophy that you cannot stand, buy something else.

first and foremost i'm a bmw fan. but left the marque when the cars got heavy and ugly. never returned. sucks, but schit happens. but i didn't break a blood vessel over the issue

btw, i moved my practice to the arboretum area (great hills trail/360). always up for a beer after work, plenty of places around here. bring pics of your daughter, i bet she's really growing up. my oldest at 12 is going on 16. doublefacepalm
Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Again, an executive of a major consumer product company--which sells EXTREMEL expensive and exclusive products--would do well not to insult customers & potential customers, regardless of where his true feelings lie.
He's an engineer and he says what he thinks. I can respect that.
As for RWS, again, as a track enthusiast, I shudder at any electronic gizmo that alters rear toe at speed. Several other car makers have tried this, with ****-poor results.
You'd prefer something that mechanically alters toe after the fact, which is what been on the cars up until now... I understand the perspective, but luckily Porsche isn't other car makers. I'll let the way it drives decide and we'll see how it plays out.

Frayed, give the 1M a shot. Both heavy and ugly, but lots of fun anyway.

Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3