Sponsored by:

Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Thanks, That did not work but I was able to pull it up on my phone. Crisis averted and I'm now up to speed...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Well done review.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No comments re: the author's positive remarks about RWS?
Road & Track: "Then there's the active rear steering.... You'll never know it's there. You'd hardly describe the previous GT3's reactions as ponderous, but the old car did take a moment to settle into a corner, especially at the rear. The new car turns in instantly and as a whole". "Understeer is nowhere to be found; at the limit, the car goes neutral."

You'll recall that's exactly what I was expecting from RWS. Glad it sounds like they got it right.

I fully agree with the reviewer's perspective on the manual as well. Not having that option and not fielding the new motor in the cup beforehand are the two errors in judgement from my point of view. I still like it, however, and if those are addressed next year in an RS...

Last edited by Petevb; 04-29-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember R&T complaining about a lack of "involvement" when they tested the 458 and McLaren with auto-manuals, but whatever. The "I can't possibly have fun in a car unless I have a clutch pedal to play with" argument is pretty funny, any way you look at it.

Interesting and generally very positive pre-review. Looking forward to hard numbers in addition to subjective opinions. No comments re: the author's positive remarks about RWS, EM steering, ability to defeat nannies, engine power, engine sound, performance, etc? Must be hard to rationalize how he can agree about PDK, but disagree so completely with all the other stuff some people have been complaining about for months. Best not to mention those other things...
The writer Jason cammisa also "complained" of the paddle shift in his review of the 458....I guess he just likes manuals.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a/viewall.html
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
The writer Jason cammisa also "complained" of the paddle shift in his review of the 458....I guess he just likes manuals.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a/viewall.html
Thanks. Cammisa isn't a regular R&T contributor so I hadn't read his stuff before. In their Oct. 2012 comparison which included the 458 and McLaren R&T talked about "rifle shot" shifts and "perfect match" with regard to the transmissions; nothing about lack of involvement. Cammisa is entitled to his opinion; that's just what it is.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
1) Umm, because it's not a race car, and PCNA will void your warranty if you track it. Some people actually buy street-legal cars to enjoy them on the street; crazy, right? Your red herring is showing - the author's not saying that speed doesn't matter, just that at some point it's not worth trading feel for marginal extra pace which can only be rarely exploited on the street.

2) And those without imagination resort to name-calling. Some loyal "diehards" who've supported Porsche with their wallets for decades simply want a choice of trannys, rather than dismissive retorts from its employees (specifically including those who quite memorably came up with the term "granny paddles" for what he's now touting).
Very well said!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Must be hard to rationalize how he can agree about PDK, but disagree so completely with all the other stuff some people have been complaining about for months. Best not to mention those other things...
I cannot speak for others, and am not rationalizing - my "complaining" has been limited to questioning the lack of a choice of transmissions. I do not seek to change any other RLer's mind, nor assert that my preference should also be everyone's; just want PCNA/Porsche/VW to understand the extreme state of agitation among many of their loyal customers - and rectify it by simply offering a choice! They should be ecstatic that we care enough to pursue this.

Perhaps the "rationalizing" is more prevalent among those who've placed orders...
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Hussain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting read. I'd be curious to see how the more in-depth reports are, and if, Porsche, like BMW, will later offer a manual later on. Also interesting, will be how this reflects on the remaining Turbo, RS, and GT2 models.

Personally, I'm a little less weary about the PDK's than I was. Perhaps the reality is setting in that if you want a $100k+ GT car, that you simply can't have a manual.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I cannot speak for others, and am not rationalizing - my "complaining" has been limited to questioning the lack of a choice of transmissions. I do not seek to change any other RLer's mind, nor assert that my preference should also be everyone's; just want PCNA/Porsche/VW to understand the extreme state of agitation among many of their loyal customers - and rectify it by simply offering a choice! They should be ecstatic that we care enough to pursue this.

Perhaps the "rationalizing" is more prevalent among those who've placed orders...
Others have posted repeatedly about the evils of RWS, for example, hence my comment, but I appreciate that you weren't one of them and I therefore obviously wasn't referring to you.

I have nothing committed to an order yet other than a small refundable deposit. I don't have to rationalize anything; if I spend $150K on a GT3 it will be because I most definitely want one and am satisfied with what the car has to offer.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-29-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great link to the Ferrari article. The author is the only one out of those quoted who disliked the Fiat, and particularly the transmission.

To each his own.

Can't wait to get the new metal on track. Maybe I'll just keep my 964 Turbo for a dose of engagement (big laggy single turbo, 5 speeds, off center steering wheel, small cabin and NO traction control).
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gents. I read the article twice 5 hours ago.

Firstly, the test drive was a few laps of a track at "highway speeds". Obviously the tester was restricted to go any faster than perhaps 70-90 kmph. I doubt there's much you can learn about the suspension, shifting and handling at those speeds on a race track.

Secondly a race track is super smooth. Any steering feel would be quite different than on the road.

Thirdly, this motor noter clearly had it in for the GT3 regards transmission choice form the get go.

In light of all above the article didnt read so bad. The engine sounds good, the 4WS is non obtrusive, handling is positive and steering feedback even on the smooth track at low speed sounded positive too. Clearly the issue with "no stick" was not going to go away with this writer on such a short accompanies drive.

There must have been an embargo on this being released because it seems it may have been written over a month ago using the Geneva PCCB equipped show car. Hopefully more to follow from EVO mag etc...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the article was very positive. He seemed to describe the engine as raw and edgy. Prefers a manual but seemed but acknowledged that the 991 has a lot of great attributes.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Those that object to Porsche not offering manual is understandable especially if they are committed to manual. Many also claim they will not buy the car if manual is not offered (good news for those of us just getting into Gt3 ). I am curious what would you buy that offers manual or would you stay with what you have and let it age.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 834 Posts

Key part of the article IMO:

"The GT3 has always been the 911 that offered the least of what techno-crazed Germans would call "progress," but as a result, it led the sports-car world in terms of driving experience. It was the rawest, purest expression of everything that defines the 911—right down to its detuned race motor and wrist breaker of a manual shift lever."

The ****ty thing that Porsche did was not to give buyers a choice of transmissions. Instead, they are ramming PDK down our throats (like Ferrari has done). However...you can get a manual transmission if you want in a freaking brand new CAYENNE, for God's sake.

But not a GT3.

Which begs the same question for the thousandth time: why are they calling it a GT3?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
I thought the article was very positive. He seemed to describe the engine as raw and edgy. Prefers a manual but seemed but acknowledged that the 991 has a lot of great attributes.
Agreed.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest you obtain a printed copy.

It is a 50 years of the 911 celebration issue. Over 50 pages of just 911 info. I like Larry Webster and the way he is running R&T (this is a guy with an engineering degree and a MBA), huge car fanatic.

There is an article from Chris Harris on the Singer cars, awesome read.

Plus the hints on the 2014 Turbo: with the GT3 and C4 991 being 1.7" wider (wide-body), there is an extra-wide-body car coming, even wider than the 991 GT3 and C4, this will be used in the 991 Turbo, and very likely in the 991 GT2 and 991 GT3 RS.

Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3