Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? GT owners are not happy with their cars? I just placed my pre-order . Thats not a good thing....

Can somebody expand on this? In my research of buying this car, all I see and hear is how this is the ultimate drivers car.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AP's answer on the manual tranny sounds like that now deceased ****-lover of ours, Henry Ford. "You can have the model T in any color you want, as long as its in black"
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

He was the one who said PDK is for grandma few years ago. Not sure who needs to shut up.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
His astounding arrogance is very Germanic.
Somehow I tend to equate arrogance with sincerity, so I welcome his firm hand in putting down the rebellion.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Glad I have my 997.2 - but I do agree that once people have a chance to drive the 991 opinions will become more positive. I like AP - he's passionate about his product and his team - nothing wrong with that!
He's passionate about his job and sales. There is a difference.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
He was the one who said PDK is for grandma few years ago. Not sure who needs to shut up.
Exactly. He's as two faced as a US politician. "Oh but what I said two years ago doesn't matter because this PDK is better, in fact more involving than a manual."

But of course that has nothing to do with the fact that you're trying to sell a car with only one choice to a bunch of people who liked the choice you aren't giving them. And then trying to sell the gimmick double fap feature as something really important. Bwahahahah.

Based on principal alone, even if you like the car, you have to raise an eyebrow at this. This guy is increasingly becoming a joke, and it's his own doing.

I need a gif of that transformer who's face used to spin around and then there was another face on the other side.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Yup.

Originally Posted by Slowekistan
Somehow I tend to equate arrogance with sincerity
Really?

In what universe is this true?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

He can say "shut up and drive" all he wants, but his credibility is zero after previously - a few short years ago - deriding PDK as "granny paddles" which did not belong in GT series cars. Further, Nizer's points regarding centerlocks et al are facts, pure and simple.

The fact that VW is not offering a choice of transmissions on its most foused "driver's car" is an abomination. And no amount of spin will change that.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
The fact that VW is not offering a choice of transmissions on its most foused "driver's car" is an abomination. And no amount of spin will change that.
I sort of agree. But what about Ferrari et al? Given that the 991 GT3's PDK can be used in fully manual mode, I'm gradually becoming more accepting of not having a clutch pedal.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

Why is there the assumption that PDK takes driver involvement out of the car? I have been driving PDK type of transmissions for over ten years (Ferrari's and Porsche's) and nothing could be further from the truth. Use of PDK in performance driving requires skill and practice. Also, I would estimate that over 80% of the drivers with manual transmissions do not even come close to shifting timely and correctly.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahhhhh. We covered this interview in a separate thread some days ago but its good to see the same old guys banging on and bagging something before its even been tried. Having said that perhaps Id feel a bit threatened too if I owned a 997.2 GT3....read the other thread for some more balanced critsism...
Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Shut up and drive. Very well said
Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Arth
Racer

Oh boy! Here we go again ..... same old handful of guys complaining. Akhhh / depressing
Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth
Oh boy! Here we go again ..... same old handful of guys complaining. Akhhh / depressing
maybe start a topic " I am looking forward to the 991 GT3" and no pissing and moaning. Maybe it can be called drinking the ((1 GT3 coolAid:-)?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Arth
Racer

Originally Posted by roberga

maybe start a topic " I am looking forward to the 991 GT3" and no pissing and moaning. Maybe it can be called drinking the ((1 GT3 coolAid:-)?
No point, you would be In there too moaning and crying lol
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not that complicated. The earlier versions of PDK clearly didn't meet AP's standards for performance and involvement. The new iteration does and the man has said as much. It's neither hypocritical nor inconsistent.

Intelligent people are able to respond to changes in their environment and new facts. Others get locked into a POV, are dogmatic about it, and unable to change regardless of the evidence presented to them. I've worked for and with both kinds of project managers and while I guess it takes all kinds, I much prefer an open mind to a closed one.

In each interview with AP I've seen, he repeats the theme that once you drive the car questions will be answered. I can understand his frustration with those who keep yammering about something they've as yet had no experience with. Shut up, drive, and then complain, assuming you still have complaints, is what I think he is saying.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-25-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss