Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Heres a statement about the GT3 at the NYIAS from PCNA:

"The sport bucket seats in the communication car and shown at the New

York Auto Show do not meet applicable homologation regulations and thus

cannot be offered for sale at this time. PCNA is aware of the interest

in this option and is working to find a solution to offer in the

future."

Meanwhile we wait...Remember vote with your wallet (don't buy the car)
I won't buy until buckets are available as an option, and after the maintenance schedules are in writing, if the wait is going to be too long I might jump ship and look elsewhere

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect the seats will be available through Gert at Carnewal...This will be an expensive option though due to shipping costs & exchange rate...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 PM
LotF
Advanced

The future is at least 2 years away. Enough time for Europe to start WWIII.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
I suspect the seats will be available through Gert at Carnewal...This will be an expensive option though due to shipping costs & exchange rate...
I am not going to spend $ 7k on the buckets, if they are not an option when ordering I am not interested
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LotF
The future is at least 2 years away. Enough time for Europe to start WWIII.
Yes. Here we threaten eachother with nukes everyday and fly our bombers in wide circles to flex the muscles. Oh no, wait That is not in Europe.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

I am sure Gert will have them on stock soon. But that does not change the fact that the seats are not homologated in the US. Will you not run into trouble due to this with warranty and regulations? Or don't you care? In which case you might as well get the Carrera GT bucket seats from Gert. They are both lighter and have a tighter fit.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default As Bobby Vinton used to sing '"There! I've Said It Again"!

Originally Posted by Nizer
see if they've changed the related wording from what's shown here in the first paragraph of pg4 for the 2010 GT3: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...l_GT3_PCNA.pdf
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't need to look....I'd say no chance.....
Originally Posted by Z356
Regardless, I would suspect the 'wording' on page 4 will be similar in this 991 gt3 model as it was on the older .2 997 gt3!
I have attached a screenshot of the page Nizer was referring to in the 2010 US spec gt3 manual. The reason I believe it will NOT be changed is the fact that it would get them into trouble with any lawsuits pending or to be filed re: the .1 and .2 997 gt3's. Lawyers would say 'you see, Porsche is admitting that their new gt3 - a model similar to the one that might be involved in our litigation - is NOT SUITABLE to take to the track' or something to that effect. So I expect the language will be pretty much the same in MY2014 as in MY2010!

Originally Posted by MJones
Heres a statement about the GT3 at the NYIAS from PCNA:

"The sport bucket seats in the communication car and shown at the New

York Auto Show do not meet applicable homologation regulations and thus

cannot be offered for sale at this time. PCNA is aware of the interest

in this option and is working to find a solution to offer in the

future."

Meanwhile we wait...Remember vote with your wallet (don't buy the car)
I'll attempt to 'interpret' this PCNA statement in my last paragraph!

Suncoast Porsche and any other US importer of Porsche parts from Germany can readily access the same seat Gert would have for sale. We have discussed this before on this forum! The question remains if the 'plug' under the seats would be compatible and what fault codes it would throw!

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
But that does not change the fact that the seats are not homologated in the US. Will you not run into trouble due to this with warranty and regulations? Or don't you care? In which case you might as well get the Carrera GT* bucket seats from Gert. They are both lighter and have a tighter fit.
Well, you are getting at the core of the issue (although you have been dragged there by 'the usual suspects'). An individual customer, once he buys a vehicle from Porsche, can modify it at his will. He can install what is called here the European 996 gt3 (non-folding, non-airbag) sport bucket (the lightest), or a US dot approved gt2 (folding, airbag) sport bucket (second lightest), or any one of many aftermarket 'racing' seat alternatives from Recaro & others. That is a given.

PCNA has admitted that "the sport bucket seats...do not meet applicable homologation regulations and thus cannot be offered for sale at this time." You can believe that they simply 'forgot' to file for it with DOT & the National Highway Safety Board. You are entitled to that opinion (especially today since it's April 1st)! Or you can believe that it was not homologated for a reason. That is the camp that some of us subscribe to. But for what reason? In my opinion, PCNA is reinforcing it's key point that this 991 gt3 model is mainly a 'street' model. It can be 'adjusted' for track use - but it will require its owner to pro-actively remove the OEM seat Porsche has supplied with it & replace it with a non-homologated 'other' you have chosen for that 'non-intended' track use! It is a subtle 'hurdle', but one that I am sure lawyers for PCNA have told them would put them in a better standing should litigation arise re: catastrophic failure of parts on this vehicle during 'track' use.

The above is my own theory. I contend that it buys them time to 'perfect' the technologies & engineering improvements incorporated into the new gt3 model until Porsche is reasonably sure that they, and particularly those of its upcoming gt3 RS, are basically bullet-proof! Then they will homologate & certify a gt2-type sport bucket (perhaps improved for more adjustability) for US models, starting with the MY2015 991 RS and then offer them optional/retrofittable for all 991's and 981's. The reason the current gt2-type 'Sport Bucket' seat is offered in European/ROW gt3's, 991's & 981's is simply because the liabilities laws in those jurisdictions are much friendlier to the manufacturers than to the consumers. US tort laws are very tough and monetary judgements (if you lose cases) can be crippling financially. You are free to disagree. Time will tell.

Saludos,
Eduardo

*Carrera GT's seats are somewhat different than the 996 gt3 seats...and a whole lot more expensive (if you could even get them)! Most track folks are buying what we call the European 996 gt3 style seat, although they were also offered by Porsche for their 997 gt3's in Europe/ROW! It's a non-folding, non-air bag sport bucket that is very rigid & light weight!
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Z356
Carrera GT's seats are somewhat different than the 996 gt3 seats...and a whole lot more expensive (if you could even get them)! Most track folks are buying what we call the European 996 gt3 style seat, although they were also offered by Porsche for their 997 gt3's in Europe/ROW! It's a non-folding, non-air bag sport bucket that is very rigid & light weight!
Okay, maybe I am confused by the terminology. As offered in Europe the 996 GT3 has a wide upper part while the 997 GT3 seats are more narrow (with silver frame for the harness). These 997 GT3 seats have been referred to as Carrera GT seats here, but maybe that is incorrect. I think Suncoast sells them in the US, or at least did.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

So much for the seats being offered through Porsche Exclusive...thanks but no thanks to Auto Show Porsche reps...keep up the good work for Porshhhh USA...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

At least Corvette is screwing up too...
Like always,as a matter of fact...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/4/1...-Early-7713657
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

More news from Zuffenhausen because I know people on this forum are big hybrid fans...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/3/3...Spyder-7713656

More power for the 918 to keep up with the P1 and Ferrari.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Okay, maybe I am confused by the terminology. As offered in Europe the 996 GT3 has a wide upper part while the 997 GT3 seats are more narrow (with silver frame for the harness). These 997 GT3 seats have been referred to as Carrera GT seats here, but maybe that is incorrect. I think Suncoast sells them in the US, or at least did.
Well, the 997-era gt3 Europe/ROW (non folding, non airbag) look somewhat similar to the Carrera GT seats. But like everything associated with the top production model, I doubt anyone who didn't already own a 'Carrera GT' could order an actual 'Carrera GT' seat from the factory and it has a different part number!

Note in the photos that the seat belt female attachment on the 997 gt3 seats are not the same as the one offered on the original 'Carrera GT' seats! There was no provision to have them come 'thru' the seat belt opening on the 'Carrera GT' seat, so they remain always on the 'outside'. In the 997 European gt3 non-folding sport bucket and the gt2 folding/airbag sport bucket, it was allowed to fit thru for a more secure adjustment, although it often damaged the leather or fabric surrounding this area! The 996 gt3 sport bucket seats had the old 'outside' set up for the female belt buckle, similar to the arrangement found on the OEM 'Carrera GT' seats on that model!

But call them what you want...we are in agreement as to what they look like!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images      
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
At least Corvette is screwing up too...
Like always,as a matter of fact...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/4/1...-Early-7713657
I wouldn't be surprised if that were an April Fool's joke.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jon70

Yeah,I'm starting to think I got fooled by this article...

Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
+1

Quick Reply: GT3-NY Auto Show