Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3-NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You may have misunderstood what I was trying to say MaxLTV. SAB may not be mandated in the US or other countries BUT in many countries, if a manufacturer has fitted airbags as standard, the law does not allow for them to be removed or the vehicle is considered unroadworthy. This will vary from country to country, state to state... You'd have to check circumstances where you live.

As I've said previously, I ordered my car with the standard sport seats with the specific intention of going aftermarket at one third the cost. i later discovered when shopping for seats that it would make my car unroadworthy. Local authorities confirmed....
Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You'd think the aftermarket guys would be designing seats (with airbags) to address this hole in the market...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

MaxLTV, very good point but the issue is that you have to mess with the airbag function on a car that was approved in the USA with these side impact air bags. Lots of grey area and here in the USA where everyone is law suit happy and lawyers are plentiful I don't have the time or money to fight them in court.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
It would be nice if Porsche could put the side impact airbag in the door instead of in the seat.
There is an airbag on each Porsche's 997's/991's doors for sure! Top of door panel. Side curtain bag that goes up! But Porsche has designed their primary 911 'safety net' mostly around the front airbags (steering wheel & dash) and side air bags on their seats! The latter moves WITH you in the seat, of course, thus insuring a perfect position to do it's job at all times! It's always optimally located where it can best protect your 'thorax'. That would not work as effectively if just located on the door panels!

Not all manufacturers follow the same airbag placement formula as Porsche. On my '11 Audi R8, airbags are NOT located on door panels at all! The R8 seat's side air bag is larger and it does two functions - thorax and window curtain! So it's bigger and shaped differently than the smaller Porsche seat airbags!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You'd think the aftermarket guys would be designing seats (with airbags) to address this hole in the market...
No. They don't want the liability. The latter is 'huge' if the airbags do not work correctly or fail to deploy at all. Think it through. They will not offer airbags in an aftermarket seat! They are too smart to do that.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

eduardo, great informative as usual.
in regard to female buckle for the euro club non foldable GT3 seats v. CGT seat, you can thread it anyway you want. the buckle is very pliable. on some of my friend's CGT, we pull it though the hole. if driver is thin, it's much better to go through hole bc then the belt is tight on your body. also, the shoulder belt routing... most route it outside the seat, i like my through the seat..

finally any seat can be bolted to just about any car. BUT the air bag safety and legal issues become your prob, no manufacturers or insurance's.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
in regard to female buckle for the euro club non foldable GT3 seats v. CGT seat, you can thread it anyway you want. the buckle is very pliable. on some of my friend's CGT, we pull it though the hole.
Thanks for confirming. I thought it was only a matter of threading it inside or outside, but Eduardo seemed so convincing in his knowledge I refrained from starting an argument Last time he threatened sending the Albanian mafia after me so I am trying to keep my calm.

On the 997 there is a very little space between the bucket seat and the center console and hence I believe it has to be threaded inside (on the 996 and Carrera GT there is certainly more space).
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Thanks for confirming. I thought it was only a matter of threading it inside or outside, but Eduardo seemed so convincing in his knowledge I refrained from starting an argument Last time he threatened sending the Albanian mafia after me so I am trying to keep my calm.

On the 997 there is a very little space between the bucket seat and the center console and hence I believe it has to be threaded inside (on the 996 and Carrera GT there is certainly more space).
my comments are from OWN experience. safe/correct or not, it's up to the user.
eduardo usually bases his comment on data, as he's more of a scientist than i who flies by the seat of my pants!

so, dont trust me too much
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo. Surely not. Why would after market manufactures make airbag steering wheels if this is the case. In fact why would ANYONE make airbags if this was the case? Dont Sparco and Recaro make factory seats for Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari anymore?

I come from a non litigious society (for better or for worse) and cannot understand much of this. Surely you risk more walking down the beach at Santa Monica at 6 am in the morning than you do in the off chance that the aftermarket Recaro sports seat you bought with airbags doesnt function property in a side impact.

I fear its reasons like these we have heavier cars, with automatic transmissions and large bulbous overhangs these days...
Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Dont Sparco and Recaro make factory seats for Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari anymore?
Recaro make the seats for Porsche (at least for the 911, Cayman and Boxster). Recaro also offer aftermarket seat with side airbag. From comfy sofa to GT2-bucket-style.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

SM, do you have links to or names of aftermarket Recaros with airbags that are racing seats. Searced high and low but can't find a thing....
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

I have not seen real racing seats with airbag. Racing does not need to comply with road legal requirements, hence you get a shell and a cloth to sit on There are GT2 style seats with side airbag:

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/pro...rtster-cs.html

Looks very similar to the Audi sport buckets.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coverage area of the R8 passenger side airbag looks huge - notwithstanding scale differences - versus the 911...almost wraps around the occupant...intrigued as to why Audi went this route
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Shame that they don't accomodate 5-6 pt harnesses like GT2 seats good on Recaro for offering the option though...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I come from a non litigious society (for better or for worse) and cannot understand much of this..
Trust me, your society is for the better being non litigious.

Quick Reply: GT3-NY Auto Show