Sponsored by:

GT3-NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Trust me, your society is for the better being non litigious.
Agreed!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

I come from a non litigious society (for better or for worse) and cannot understand much of this. Surely you risk more walking down the beach at Santa Monica at 6 am in the morning than you do in the off chance that the aftermarket Recaro sports seat you bought with airbags doesnt function property in a side impact.
In Florida there was a 18 year old shot to death in an apartment complex/neighborhood. This 18 year old was attacking a resident was the story and he got shot. The parents of this 18 year old sued the complex and neighborhood and won...$1.2 million dollars!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Eduardo, surely not...

Dont Sparco and Recaro make factory seats for Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari anymore?
Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Recaro make the seats for Porsche (at least for the 911, Cayman and Boxster).
To Macca & Stirling: Recaro indeed makes seats with airbags FOR THE OEM AUTO MANUFACTURERS. Recaro, as you may know, is the company that was started by the owners of Reutter Carosserie-Werke after they sold the chassis business and body-building plant in Zuffenhausen to Porsche around 1963.

Recaro also offer aftermarket seat with side airbag. From comfy sofa to GT2-bucket-style.
You are looking at the corporate page for Recaro, where they are informing you of the products they make for both the auto industry and for the enthusiast (e.g. racing seats). I don't believe Recaro sells an airbag seat to anyone but the auto industry, at least not in the United States! Remember, Recaro sells to a distributor who sells to a retailer to sells direct resale to a customer. In the US, I don't believe they would sell to a distributor an airbag seat to sell down the consumer chain. The liability would be too great!

Eduardo. Surely not. Why would after market manufactures make airbag steering wheels if this is the case.
Manufactures make steering wheels that use someone else's airbags. In most cases, when you install a new steering wheel on your car, you use the existing airbag that was supplied by the auto manufacturer for your car. If that fails or has been used due to a discharge, the auto manufacturer sells you a new airbag for that purpose. You don't get it from an auto supply shop - you get it from a Porsche dealer! And you have probably have to do some PIWIS stuff to instruct the car's computer that this is different bag from the original and it's ok to have it 'work' in the 'system'.

In fact why would ANYONE make airbags if this was the case?
The airbag manufacturers sell airbags to a highly government regulated auto industries, not the public! The government has in fact approved and mandated the use of airbags in vehicles! The manufacturers liability is thus 'managed' and 'mitigated' by the function required of them by government. Same for the industry that makes 'vaccines'. As long as the airbags work according to specifications, they are ok. But those specifications are designed by the auto manufacturers and they check each one before its put on one of their cars or sold to you by their dealers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Eduardo, all correct on Recaro's history. I read that on Wikipedia too :-) The link I provided are for Recaro's aftermarket seats, not OEM. It is correct that you have to contact a distributor. That is how I bought my Recaro Pole Position buckets, which are in the same aftermarket section as the seat above.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo. I respect you more than 90% of other posters Ive seen on this board in the last 12 years.

We don't always agree, but I guess that is the fun of being on this board to share and learn. Im sorry but it must be because Im a Kiwi living half way around thee world - I just find all this squabble on seats quite extraordinary. I will buy a Recaro PP set, put them in the 991 GT3, let my insurance company know of the modification and go and enjoy it as the gods of Porsche intended.

In America you have the cheapest Porsche in the world. You will by your new GT3 and cannot swap the seats for fear of libel.

I guess in the USA you save 30k on the car but are bound by laws. Its probably a small price to pay relatively speaking. Porsche will no doubt announce a bucket seat with airbag soon that owners can retrofit to stay legit...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

There are GT2 style seats with side airbag:
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/pro...rtster-cs.html
Looks very similar to the Audi sport buckets.
The link I provided are for Recaro's aftermarket seats, not OEM.
The link you provided is for Recaro ROW website.
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/pro...rtster-cs.html

The link I am providing this Rennlist forum is the one for Recaro USA!
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...rtster-cs.html

Can you see the difference? Compare ROW spec Recaro 'Sportster CS' (photo #1) to US spec Recaro 'Sportster CS' (photo #2). In which one do you see the 'airbag' symbol?

Suggest you try to understand that what Recaro might be able to sell in the Republic of Moldova is not the same as what Recaro might be ABLE or WILLING to sell in the United States? Different liability laws, different risks and different potential financial repercussions in case of catastrophic failures!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo. I respect you more than 90% of other posters Ive seen on this board in the last 12 years.
And who are these lucky blokes who rate higher than me? Now I feel bloody awful, mate! I promise that I am going to work diligently to try to make it to your top tier in MY2014...perhaps even certified and homologated!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

We don't always agree, but I guess that is the fun of being on this board to share and learn. Im sorry but it must be because Im a Kiwi living half way around thee world - I just find all this squabble on seats quite extraordinary. I will buy a Recaro PP set, put them in the 991 GT3, let my insurance company know of the modification and go and enjoy it as the gods of Porsche intended.

In America you have the cheapest Porsche in the world. You will by your new GT3 and cannot swap the seats for fear of libel.

I guess in the USA you save 30k on the car but are bound by laws. Its probably a small price to pay relatively speaking. Porsche will no doubt announce a bucket seat with airbag soon that owners can retrofit to stay legit...
+1, except I'm not a Kiwi....
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Suggest you try to understand that what Recaro might be able to sell in the Republic of Moldova is not the same as what Recaro might be ABLE or WILLING to sell in the United States?
Yes, I am terrible sorry for having focused on 195 out of the worlds 196 countries instead of ONLY the US. I promise this will not happen again.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1, except I'm not a Kiwi....
Ahh Mike... count yourself amongst the fortunate

(do i need to translate for the non-antipodeans?)
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they get sheepskin covers standard in nz.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
they get sheepskin covers standard in nz.
Is it true they have a choice of Regular, Fastidious or Great Muster?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche Exclusive Option Code BAABAA. Airbag Compliant Genuine Merino Wool Sports Seat Plus Cover for NZ market.

Small print. Merino Wool Cover is a natural product may deviate in color and finish accordingly. Porsche reserves the right not to be sued for damages should seat airbag not activate in the case of a collision where merino wool covers are used.

Translation. Hey Kiwi, your bum might be warm when driving with these but if you stuff up and put yourself and the car at risk you are sh*t out of luck making a claim on us as we have contracted out of all liability and are saving our legal schekles for fighting complex and laborious litigation trials in the US. Auf Wiedersehen downunder cousins...

Only availa
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Anyone know what type of seats the 918 destined for the US will have?It is Porsche's super sport car and I cannot imagine the car being equipped with Adaptive sport seats.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
Anyone know what type of seats the 918 destined for the US will have?It is Porsche's super sport car and I cannot imagine the car being equipped with Adaptive sport seats.
If you were spending $845,000 base before options for a 918 Spyder would you settle for regular 'Adaptive Sport Seats'?

The 918 Spyder will get a unique design leather & carbon fiber sport bucket which will not be shared with a series production 991 or 981!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: GT3-NY Auto Show