Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Larry. You are not alone.

I would have preferred manual myself.

However if there had have been a choice between manual and PDK then I would rather they had chosen PDK only as they have done. Call me cuckhold but Id rather have that type of decision made for me. The 991 manual isnt that flash form first hand accounts and the published performance stats (lap times, 0-400m, 0-100kmph etc) would have been published using the PDK results only so with a manual I would always have felt I had a slower car.

PDK still has to convince me too as Ive never had an automated transmission. However if there will be a Porsche on this planet with a PDK that will win be over my money is on the 991 GT3 doing that job. Otherwise, both aesthetics, execution, additional technologies all look pretty damn positive too me. Sorry you dont get a bucket seat up there but feel for us down here who pay almost twice as much as you do for the car...you can loose alot of weight yourself with $100,000 USD to spend on fad diets LOL!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Larry. You are not alone.

I would have preferred manual myself.

However if there had have been a choice between manual and PDK then I would rather they had chosen PDK only as they have done. Call me cuckhold but Id rather have that type of decision made for me. The 991 manual isnt that flash form first hand accounts and the published performance stats (lap times, 0-400m, 0-100kmph etc) would have been published using the PDK results only so with a manual I would always have felt I had a slower car.

PDK still has to convince me too as Ive never had an automated transmission. However if there will be a Porsche on this planet with a PDK that will win be over my money is on the 991 GT3 doing that job. Otherwise, both aesthetics, execution, additional technologies all look pretty damn positive too me. Sorry you dont get a bucket seat up there but feel for us down here who pay almost twice as much as you do for the car...you can loose alot of weight yourself with $100,000 USD to spend on fad diets LOL!
sorry about the price thing! - all you need though is another 99,999 RLers to donate a $ each to you and ...

I am pretty certain the the GT3 PDK will be 'amazing' and may even satisfy the 'sequential shifter' devotees!

I'm a bit of an old fart and like to stir the stick myself ... but if the choice was between a PDK or a 'PDK with a stick attached', I'd probably pick PDK myself too ...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish they'd notify of these interviews and invite questions. The first question is to ask how the 4WS works. There's a claim it reduces the wheelbase, but does that happen in any useful way on a track or is it just horsefeathers and useful only for parking lots and U-turns? Can 4WS be turned off? Can PTV be disabled? What's the ratios in the diff? Any number of trivia tidbits could tide over us whining never-satisfied types till the reviewers give their "feedback" (which is universally and summarily rejected as marketing bovril anyway, with the obtrusive exception of the monkey.)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
Andreas Preuninger on the Porsche 991 GT3...
I experience it too often. With every new RS: ‘Oh no! This colour scheme; Oh no! These decals; How can they do this; Blah blah bloop.’ And everybody bought it nevertheless and is happy.
If Preuninger really believes that everyone that bought the prior GT3 is happy then he has his head buried in a deep, dark place.

Faulty coolant lines, detonating clutches, bait-and switch center-lock maintenance schedules, voided track coverage. Yeah, we're happy.

I say man up and stand behind the stuff you sell or SHUT UP. Back to your blah, blah, bloop Andreas.

Last edited by Nizer; 04-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I wish they'd notify of these interviews and invite questions. The first question is to ask how the 4WS works. There's a claim it reduces the wheelbase, but does that happen in any useful way on a track or is it just horsefeathers and useful only for parking lots and U-turns? Can 4WS be turned off? Can PTV be disabled? What's the ratios in the diff? Any number of trivia tidbits could tide over us whining never-satisfied types till the reviewers give their "feedback" (which is universally and summarily rejected as marketing bovril anyway, with the obtrusive exception of the monkey.)
I think its similar in theory to the system on previous cars such as the Nissan 300ZX; below a certain speed the rear wheels I think steer in the same direction as the front, and above that threshold (30mph?) they countersteer ... or is it vica versa?

I doubt it can be turned off, I would expect it to be dynamic based upon car dynamics as measured by all the same systems as used for SC+TC...

I didnt notice if the car had PTV??? - does it? if it does I'll wager it wont be defeatable ...

I personally wonder what the effect of the 'race track' button is on the console in the RoW show model???
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
If Preuninger really believes that everyone that bought the prior GT3 is happy then he has his head buried in a deep, dark place.

Faulty coolant lines, detonating clutches, bait-and switch center-lock maintenance schedules, voided track coverage. Yeah, we're happy.

I say man up and cover the stuff you sell or shut up. Back to your blah, blah, bloop Andreas.
+1!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder why he's so much on edge!

Germans well known for their "coolness" factor.

Dear Herr Preuninger, your 991 GT3 is destined to be a hallmark of Porsche MotorSports development team failure.

You may start packing ....off off now to a long, very long, holiday
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all those complaining you don't need a gt3.
If you are talking about driver involvement all you need is a cayman.
It has everything you need.
With the money you save you can also get a multi year supply of DE's.

With this package you are getting EVERYTHING you need more driver involvent (see no manual) and your ridding yourself of the center locks and rear steering.

So what's the problem? What am I missing?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think its similar in theory to the system on previous cars such as the Nissan 300ZX; below a certain speed the rear wheels I think steer in the same direction as the front, and above that threshold (30mph?) they countersteer ... or is it vica versa?

I doubt it can be turned off, I would expect it to be dynamic based upon car dynamics as measured by all the same systems as used for SC+TC...

I didnt notice if the car had PTV??? - does it? if it does I'll wager it wont be defeatable ...

I personally wonder what the effect of the 'race track' button is on the console in the RoW show model???
It's the reverse Larry. RWS countersteers up to 31 mph and steers in the same direction as the front wheels above 31. (We're talking a max deflection of 1.5 deg; it's not radical). This effectively shortens the wheelbase for better low speed manueverability and lengthens it for better high speed stability while changing direction. It won't be defeatable any more than the passive RWS that is part of all of our current 911's, is defeatable.

The car does have PTV, and it won't be defeatable either but I'd bet you the same dollar you lost to Macca that you will not be able to tell anything out of the ordinary when it's active. The car will simply rotate exceptionally well. The best part about the PTV+ package is the electronic fully variable LSD which will be far superior to the crappy mechanical factory LSD's we've had to date.

One of the really interesting things I saw in this AP interview was his quote that with this version of PDK, "There’s no automatic upshifts in manual mode either. If you hit the rev limiter, you hit the rev limiter." This is not the case with the original versions of PDK, which would do auto upshifts at redline and kickdowns when the throttle was floored even if the selector was in manual. Along with the ability to select neutral with the paddles, this should give the driver total control of PDK in manual mode.

One last thing for those who think this car will be a failure or the "pride before the fall". Do you have a video camera? It would be great if you could post pics when you have to eat your words in the next 6 months.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I wish they'd notify of these interviews and invite questions. The first question is to ask how the 4WS works. There's a claim it reduces the wheelbase, but does that happen in any useful way on a track or is it just horsefeathers and useful only for parking lots and U-turns? Can 4WS be turned off? Can PTV be disabled? What's the ratios in the diff?
Ratios
1st 3.75
2nd 2.38
3rd 1.72
4th 1.34
5th 1.11
6th 0.96
7th 0.84
Reverse 3.42
Final Drive Ratio 3.97

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-24-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,482 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I beg to differ. For involvement, I'll take a 911 over a Cayman any day (own and tracked both).
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

My hope is to stand at factory delivery with a cardboard sign "Mike in CA was right" taking delivery of the PTS RS right before I go do a GT3Rx like tour of Europe only much longer. First stop the Ring to drive the **** out of it.

In the meantime, you figure out what track wheels and cheap track rubber and pads we need, please do a little more than cone smashing in 2nd gear. Manthey should have a CS bar and belts ready for me to be removed and shipped to Orbit while I drop the car off for shipping to Champion. I have a big Euro to-do list....
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My hope is to stand at factory delivery with a cardboard sign "Mike in CA was right" taking delivery of the PTS RS right before I go do a GT3Rx like tour of Europe only much longer. First stop the Ring to drive the **** out of it.

In the meantime, you figure out what track wheels and cheap track rubber and pads we need, please do a little more than cone smashing in 2nd gear. Manthey should have a CS bar and belts ready for me to be removed and shipped to Orbit while I drop the car off for shipping to Champion. I have a big Euro to-do list....
I hope you get to do that Peter, and I'd love to have a pic of the event suitable for framing. I did the Ring with my 996; didn't make it that far north with the 997....

I plan to do more than cone smashing when I get the car, but just to be clear; the idea is actually to miss them, not smash them.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

." But that will pass as soon as the first journalists come back with their feedback—and I know exactly what this feedback is going to be like. "

i am awaiting jarrod cullop's drive in excellence. only opinion i 100% trust.

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 04-24-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR

With this package you are getting EVERYTHING you need more driver involvent (see no manual) and your ridding yourself of the center locks and rear steering.

So what's the problem? What am I missing?
Common sense maybe. So people buy top of the line GT car from Porsche for generations and now should settle for the hamstringed 2nd tier vehicle?

The Cayman is not an equal car to a GT3. Period. Not even close.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

This has been posted in the 991 section.
It's a 991 suspension walk around so it can give you a bit of an idea about PDCC and brakes. I found it very interesting.
I don't know how much/if any will apply to the new GT3,but in case you like to know how things work...Enjoy!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/753059-991-suspension-walkaround.html#post10414364

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!