Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
There are some exciting news on the Ruf front, as many of you know. Just one month ago, Ruf announced the following:

"The owner of Lotus’s Formula 1 team – Genii Capital – has bought into Ruf, the maker of extreme Porsche derived supercars. Genii becomes a shareholder and strategic partner, with founding partner and Lotus F1 team chairman Gerard Lopez becoming a non-executive chairman of the board. He’s promised an eventful 2013 Geneva motor show, suggesting a new Ruf model with an exciting powertrain."

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/28...tners_ruf.html

I called on Ruf in Pfaffenhausen (Bavaria) in 1996. Alois and his wife Estonia (his wife who was born in Venezuela and helps him manage the business) were extreme hospitable hosts during that visit. I now see them often in the US if they attending the Monterey Historics or the LA Lit & Memorabilia Meet. I used to see them at PCA Parades. But PCNA might have put a stop to that - they were losing some new car sales to Alois! I think it will be very interesting to watch what Ruf does now that it has fresh capital infusion! They are always very creative and you can create a totally unique (colors, materials, etc) interior & exterior on a Ruf! They are custom made to your order!

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/

For those not familiar with Ruf, please see the following short video of his press conference at the 2013 Geneva Car show last week! If you have ever wondered how a Boxster or Cayman might be if Porsche ever put a larger motor and upgraded mechanicals in that mid-engine platform...pay close attention to when he explains their '3800S' (3.8 911S engine w. 6 speed or PDK on a Boxster or Cayman) at 5:30 on the video! He says this is 'the ultimate car for those who like a mid-engined 911'. Hello?

Saludos,
Eduardo

Ruf Press Conference: Alois Ruf on Rt12R, Rt35S, Rt35 Convertible, Boxster 991 engine + CTR3 - YouTube
Would like to see a Cayman with the new GT3 engine + PDK-S in a Ruf package, but th eprice would proberbly be too astronomical I guess

Mike
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
Would like to see a Cayman with the new GT3 engine + PDK-S in a Ruf package, but th eprice would proberbly be too astronomical I guess
Perhaps not. Ruf is allowed to buy a rolling chassis (in white) from Porsche and then furbished it with everything else. It is not like they need to start with a factory completed Cayman and then thrash 90% of it to get the mechanicals, interior & exterior of a 3800S. They will probably be doing '3800 Super S' soon with a 991 gt3-type engine!

In Germany, Ruf is considered by law as a 'manufacturer', not a 'tuner'. And they are expanding their US customer base and service capabilities! I know personally of at least four friends here in the States that have bought Ruf's: two Boxsters 3400S (Viper Green, Grey Metallic), one 996 Turbo (Gulf Blue) and one RGT (forgot the color!).

http://www.rufregistry.com/car-detai.../?&open=7&c=62

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Perhaps not. Ruf is allowed to buy a rolling chassis (in white) from Porsche and then furbished it with everything else. It is not like they need to start with a factory completed Cayman and then thrash 90% of it to get the mechanicals, interior & exterior of a 3800S. They will probably be doing '3800 Super S' soon with a 991 gt3-type engine!

In Germany, Ruf is considered by law as a 'manufacturer', not a 'tuner'. And they are expanding their US customer base and service capabilities! I know personally of at least four friends here in the States that have bought Ruf's: two Boxsters 3400S (Viper Green, Grey Metallic), one 996 Turbo (Gulf Blue) and one RGT (forgot the color!).

http://www.rufregistry.com/car-detai.../?&open=7&c=62

Saludos,
Eduardo
Yes that is similar to Alpina, I had a B7 back in 82, if they would offer a Cayman with the GT3 engine and PDK-S I would be interested, if the price is reasonable

Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM
GuyR
Racer

Actually there is a big difference between Ruf and Alpina.

Alpina are an official partner with BMW, the Alpina parts (engine etc) are mostly installed on the BMW factory line now and then the car heads to Buchloe where Alpina customise the interior etc. You can buy an Alpina through BMW dealers and do warranty through BMW dealers.

Ruf do not have the same partnership with Porsche, despite many people thinking they have. You cannot buy or warranty a Ruf through a Porsche dealer and there is zero official relationship. The informal relationship has persisted over the years and has I believe varied between strong and weak and I've no idea how it is now. In many ways Ruf act like research for Porsche, since they've developed their own flat-8 and also turbocharged the 997 DFI engine before Porsche, but I'm not sure how co-operative the relationship actually is. It is to Porsches detriment really, they should be backing and using the innovation and flexibility of Ruf to their advantage, but I guess both sides wish to remain their own.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuyR
In many ways Ruf act like research for Porsche, since they've developed their own flat-8 and also turbocharged the 997 DFI engine before Porsche, but I'm not sure how co-operative the relationship actually is.
Not to mention the V8 that is in the back of the RGT-8...which seems to have also been fettled by Hans Mezger...(cf. http://blog.caranddriver.com/ruf-rev...eva-auto-show/)

As I've mentioned elsewhere....the 991 based RGT-8 is an intriguing alternate for those who want a manual..sport buckets and a Mezger influenced engine.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Not to mention the V8 that is in the back of the RGT-8...which seems to have also been fettled by Hans Mezger...

As I've mentioned elsewhere....the 991 based RGT-8 is an intriguing alternate for those who want a manual..sport buckets and a Mezger influenced engine.
Sorry my typo, I meant that V8. It's a flat-plane crank so sounds like a Ferrari rather than a Chevy etc...
Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR
Actually there is a big difference between Ruf and Alpina.

Alpina are an official partner with BMW, the Alpina parts (engine etc) are mostly installed on the BMW factory line now and then the car heads to Buchloe where Alpina customise the interior etc. You can buy an Alpina through BMW dealers and do warranty through BMW dealers.

Ruf do not have the same partnership with Porsche, despite many people thinking they have. You cannot buy or warranty a Ruf through a Porsche dealer and there is zero official relationship. The informal relationship has persisted over the years and has I believe varied between strong and weak and I've no idea how it is now. In many ways Ruf act like research for Porsche, since they've developed their own flat-8 and also turbocharged the 997 DFI engine before Porsche, but I'm not sure how co-operative the relationship actually is. It is to Porsches detriment really, they should be backing and using the innovation and flexibility of Ruf to their advantage, but I guess both sides wish to remain their own.
Yes you are right, but what I meant was that they are both considered Manufacturers by German law, as for the relation between Ruf and Porsche I have no info

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think its also beyond ironic that you can get a manual 911 but not a GT3 and that they swapped the sense of the PDK shifter to mimic that of a sequential... to make it more like a "real" race car...

I also wonder about the implications of PTV+ on track ... recalling the lack of rear rotor cooling and the change to the brake bias on the 7.1 that resulted in the overheating issues on that car...
AFAIK, and I have owned my 2007 GT3 since new, there have been no overheating issues on these cars. The only issue was accelerated rear brake pad wear, blamed on one or more of increased rear brake bias, activation of the traction control which selectively brakes the rear spinning wheel, or inadequate rear brake cooling (addressed by retrofitting the 997.2 rear brake ducts - which in my personal experience fall off immediately.) There has never been a performance problem and the wear acceleration (at least with TC turned off) is not significant.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
and those numbers on the doors are for the valet to identify your car coz there's so many blau ones there on the same day.
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
looks like a downramp leading into a parking garage to me.
Originally Posted by Terry L
AFAIK, and I have owned my 2007 GT3 since new, there have been no overheating issues on these cars. The only issue was accelerated rear brake pad wear, blamed on one or more of increased rear brake bias, activation of the traction control which selectively brakes the rear spinning wheel, or inadequate rear brake cooling (addressed by retrofitting the 997.2 rear brake ducts - which in my personal experience fall off immediately.) There has never been a performance problem and the wear acceleration (at least with TC turned off) is not significant.
all three of those result in increased rear brake usage and thus greater heat buildup ... that's what the .2 rear ducts (and I think a change in the bias) were intended to resolve...

according to the Porsche Sport Driving School Instructor I spoke with while at the Nurburgring School in '08 who came off of the Nordschleife after one lap in the GT2RS with the rear pads smoking... there were overheating issues on both the 2RS and the 7.1's ... YMMV
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Not to mention the V8 that is in the back of the RGT-8...which seems to have also been fettled by Hans Mezger...(cf. http://blog.caranddriver.com/ruf-rev...eva-auto-show/)

Still my dream car.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

19 GT3's (996/997) on ebay, about the same number as late 2012. Thought the numbers go up with the 991 announcement and warmer weather...but not yet, or not ever.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The RGT-8 is a dream and Id own it in a heartbeat over any GT3....but its twice the price!

I believe RUF will be going all PDK this year too from what I have heard, although Alois has always been interested in this direction (hence the early PDK he pioneered in his road cars in the 90s).
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Sensational GT3 Lap Times here:
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim_short.html
Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

This is not real? It is projected!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its the official US price out or are we speculating $130kish???

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!