Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
It is rumoured that the 991 Turbo body is wider than the C4S, so this may be used on the RS ??

To me this just seems crazy. How wide are they going to make these cars? I look at the picture below comparing the 997.2 GT3 to the 991 GT3 and think you wouldnt want to go any wider or you would spoil the shape, now they are talking about wider at the rear again? Looks rather weird i reckon. What happened to the "coke bottle" lines...?
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks rather weird i reckon. What happened to the "coke bottle" lines...?
Nothing wrong with hips... Some think the Coke bottle went away with the 996.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Just covert your short wheel base long hood with GT3 transplant. That thing must be quite potent. Im very suprised more havent attempted to put GT3 engine into older chassis - Im guessing not easy and rather expensive transplant.

Heres the rear of my "normal body" 993. plenty fat enough for me. Cant see what adding another 30mm to the rear of the turbo over the GT3/4S actually achieves other than higher CD and weight...
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Nothing wrong with hips... Some think the Coke bottle went away with the 996.

Brilliant pic. I might be inclined to avatarize it one day..

On topic, a 911 can never be "too wide" in the rear; a 911 driven exclusively by a human being that is.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A track car can never be too wide, or too low.

Last edited by FFaust; 05-03-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the above picture, the red 997 GT3 is a narrowbody. The 991 GT3 (sic) is already a C4 widebody.
Whether they bring out a further evolution of the rear or not, is anyone's guess.
Remember that 991 RSR is apparently homologated on a 991 C4 tub.
Best, J
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
To me this just seems crazy. How wide are they going to make these cars? I look at the picture below comparing the 997.2 GT3 to the 991 GT3 and think you wouldnt want to go any wider or you would spoil the shape, now they are talking about wider at the rear again? Looks rather weird i reckon. What happened to the "coke bottle" lines...?
Having seen the R&T writeup on the GT3 and the launch of the Turbo and S I could easily see the RS ending up with the Turbo Chassis and perhaps the optional CF roof that I think the S comes with???
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Having seen the R&T writeup on the GT3 and the launch of the Turbo and S I could easily see the RS ending up with the Turbo Chassis and perhaps the optional CF roof that I think the S comes with???
I think the 991 RS has to have (mandatory or at the very least, on the option list) the painted carbon panels (front quarters, frunk, roof, engine cover, decklid, wing) and canards (flics) of the RS 4.0 ... that's a minimum, in my estimation.

If the RS gets the bladder splitter thing (please don't let it have "RS" printed on it ... who the hell is on the design team willing to say "no" to all the tacky labels they stick on the 911?) or active aero, that's all fine. I think we (buyers/drivers) have to concede that Porsche is on a bent of features and technology, not "add lightness." For all the weight and hefty price, where's that rumored triple turbo?

The wider, the better. Bring on the RSR bodied road car. No, not really, but I see no problem in the extra girth of the 1.1 inches added to the hips of the turbo cars, just do it in painted CF and cut the curb weight.

The only criticism I have so far for the turbo is the curb weight.

When I saw the announcement of the turbo and turbo S simultaneously, the vane thought popped into my head that there could be a 2WD turbo again. Oh well.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the 991 RS has to have (mandatory or at the very least, on the option list) the painted carbon panels (front quarters, frunk, roof, engine cover, decklid, wing) and canards (flics) of the RS 4.0 ... that's a minimum, in my estimation.

If the RS gets the bladder splitter thing (please don't let it have "RS" printed on it ... who the hell is on the design team willing to say "no" to all the tacky labels they stick on the 911?) or active aero, that's all fine. I think we (buyers/drivers) have to concede that Porsche is on a bent of features and technology, not "add lightness." For all the weight and hefty price, where's that rumored triple turbo?

The wider, the better. Bring on the RSR bodied road car. No, not really, but I see no problem in the extra girth of the 1.1 inches added to the hips of the turbo cars, just do it in painted CF and cut the curb weight.

When I saw the announcement of the turbo and turbo S simultaneously, the vane thought popped into my head that there could be a 2WD turbo again. Oh well.
I'd guess the RS will be the Turbo body, CF roof, maybe active (different) aero ... maybe they will go with more CF body parts, if that happens I'd hate to think what the MSRP will be!

Ah, 2WD Turbo ... I think you are dreaming of bygone years my friend...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,939 Likes on 2,798 Posts

Only on GT2 - why sell rwd Turbo when there's the much pricier 2...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd guess the RS will be the Turbo body, CF roof, maybe active (different) aero ... maybe they will go with more CF body parts, if that happens I'd hate to think what the MSRP will be!

No worries; it has a Haldex!
That means that it's neither 2wd nor 4wd. In fact you'll never know what it is. I'd bet all my money in Cyprus.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
he meant GT2...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It really shouldn't be a "dream" to see a new 2WD turbo. The 993 went AWD because that was how Porsche could make it "safe" given the technology options in the early 90's. Today, PSM does all the "safety net" work and I think it's preferable to the weight, cost and complexity (especially in driving feel and dynamics) of AWD. The issue being, the once staggering (circa 2009) power of the turbo is now only maybe a 30hp gain and it comes with the constraint of limited rpm limit and the lag of conventional turbos with the ponderous curb weight.

Why the 991 turbo's aren't in the 600+ hp range is inexcusable. I guess the five year plan for these cars becomes unwieldy if they don't nobble the early model years with limited horsepower.

Porsche could have gone to a 9000 rpm turbo -- they have the engine that could do the work and, mated to PDK, they could have all but eliminated high rpm turbo lag (and stuffed that rumored third turbo in there.) Maybe a triple turbo 9000 rpm turbo is "next." At $200K for the Turbo S, Porsche certainly isn't targeting me as a customer.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys. I dont know about you but the rear view of the new "wider" turbo body below looks ridiculous to me. I think they have spoiled the rear fender lines an it just looks all too square. Rather the C3/GT3 rear IMHO!
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

^It looks very wide.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!