Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB/FS: 991.2 Touring GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 11:42 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I can’t speak for other Touring owners, but generally speaking. I believe most GT car owners purchase with the hopes that it will be their last GT car. One we hope to be buried in one day.

I personally couldn’t pull off owning a winged car as I get older; & this is coming from someone who lives & breaths Porsche motorsport. I enjoy owning a car derived from Porsches GT department, but prefer it in a more subtle way.

The way I see it. When I get into my sixties, fifties, or even my forties in a few years. It’s going to be much easier to keep a wingless car long term. I think that plays a big factor in value when you see them on the market.

Just wait until Porsche tosses a 48v mild hybrid onto their next GT car. None of this will matter. Count your blessings & enjoy your GT car.
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (03-22-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:44 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You missed the point. I repeated this in two of my posts and I want to repeat for the third time. There is a use case for a touring which you describe as did another poster who responded to me. There is no issue here (although I dont share your enthusiasm, this is fine). What I’m pointing out is regarding the paying substantially more for this use case of “wolf in sheep’s clothing” does not correlate with this use case you point out. The price people pay isnt because tourings have a 1 of a kind 10,000 rpm flat 6 nor its because touring has a carbon fiber tub thats special to touring. It is because of speculators and flippers initiating a chain reaction years ago.

Under normal circumstances where a car’s price is determined by its window sticker (which is determined by the complexity of its suspension, engine, transmission, aero dynamics, sound system, seats, brakes, etc), in this case the $60-70k over msrp has absolutely no correlation with the “car” aspect of touring - which is a metal box with 4 tires, engine, 3 pedals, etc. Under these normal circumstances, this compromised car albeit having a legitimate use case, would be worth LESS than its superior (as a car) winged counter part.

A manual gt3 does/should bring more than a pdk simply because its more involving, more fun, a lot less manual cars in the market with 9k N/A engine, bespoke transmission that Porsche had to research and develop, etc etc etc. But this is not the case for touring. What exactly is so special about it from the perspective of it being a car? Because it has no wing it should be worth $60-70k more? Come on. I was here when it was announced and I know what everyone thought of it. I also know what everyone even the most seasoned and old timer Porsche owners here thought of it when its price shot up due to flippers and speculators.

You may love this completely understated GT3. Fine. Its just not mechanically worth that kind of money if we evaluate it as a “car” or a “sports car”.
You are missing the point. The OG Touring is more than a sum of its parts. It is relatively a limited car to begin with. Not only is the exterior different, so is the interior. To you and others it may be a regular GT3 without a wing. I and many others disagree with you. And there are enough people that agree with my assessment that drives the value of the car. I haven’t set what people are willing to pay for one but there are enough people that want one and thus they are deemed more valuable than the winged version. It’s just the old adage of supply and demand. You and others may never get it but that’s ok. I and others think it is special in its own right. That’s why a lot of us say it’s a keeper. These are not just “ cars” as you put it. There is passion involved.

Last edited by Bruce911_; 02-19-2024 at 11:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce911_:
Dr. Z (02-22-2024), mattyf (03-12-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:46 PM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
OP, I'll support this thread as well and cross post updated availability which is tracked on post #45 on my WTB Ad which has grown legs (no wings...) at this point. Link here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1371045/page3

- 2019 Voodoo Blue at Grand Prix Motors: Sofas, steel brakes, yes FAL. Also has a Musicar system. 8k miles
.- 2019 Black, (now at Ryan Friedman Motorcars). LWBs, steel brakes, yes FAL Leather and red stitch and red dials. I can't do black, otherwise this would have been an option for me. 5300 miles
.- 2018 Maritime Blue. Grand Prix Motors LWBs. PCCBs, yes FAL, tons of CXX. 3100 miles
.- 2018 Guards Red. Heritage Cars, WA. LWBs, Steel brakes, yes FAL. 6500 miles
.- 2018 White, Luxury Motorcars, CA. LWBs, Steel Brakes, no lift. 11k miles
.- 2018 White, Champion Porsche, FL. Sofas, Steel Brakes, yes lift. 21k miles
.- 2018 Silver, Porsche North Houston. LWBs, Steel Brakes, yes lift. 5k miles
.- 2019 White, Brooklyn Auto Sales, LWBs, PCCBs, yes lift. 5.7k miles
.- 2018 Silver, Porsche Downtown LA. LWBs, PCCBs, yes lift. 11.7k miles. (Minor incident on CarFax).
.- 2018 Riviera Blue, Westmont Porsche. LWBs, Steel Brakes, yes lift. Manual 5.7k miles. De-winged OEM Conversion done by same dealer ($25K cost).
The Houston 5k miles silver one is pending, listed at 270k. Looks like its only been on the market for 14 days or so.
JAB12 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:57 PM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I can’t speak for other Touring owners, but generally speaking. I believe most GT car owners purchase with the hopes that it will be their last GT car. One we hope to be buried in one day.

I personally couldn’t pull off owning a winged car as I get older; & this is coming from someone who lives & breaths Porsche motorsport. I enjoy owning a car derived from Porsches GT department, but prefer it in a more subtle way.

The way I see it. When I get into my sixties, fifties, or even my forties in a few years. It’s going to be much easier to keep a wingless car long term. I think that plays a big factor in value when you see them on the market.

Just wait until Porsche tosses a 48v mild hybrid onto their next GT car. None of this will matter. Count your blessings & enjoy your GT car.
Originally Posted by Bruce911_
You are missing the point. The OG Touring is more than a sum of its parts. It is relatively a limited car to begin with. Not only is the exterior different, so is the interior. To you and others it may be a regular GT3 without a wing. I and many others disagree with you. And there are enough people that agree with my assessment that drives the value of the car. I haven’t set what people are willing to pay for one but there are enough people that want one and thus they are deemed more valuable than the winged version. It’s just the old adage of supply and demand. You and others may never get it but that’s ok. I and others think it is special in its own right. That’s why a lot of us say it’s a keeper. These are not just “ cars” as you put it. There is passion involved.
​​​​​​I think that's the key word here... passion. The amount of passion that I've witnessed in regards to the touring is, frankly, quite shocking at times, even as an owner myself. 3-pedals is looking at this from his own personal perspective... which, to be frank, does seem more financially oriented. Which is fine, but clearly, he is not one of the many touring buyers out there.

I also absolutely agree with smiles11. That's a great way of describing the touring ownership experience. It is the pinnacle of Porsche GT's for me. And mild hybrid?? haha, yep, that's when things get really interesting, winged or not.
rhk118 (03-22-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:10 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

You missed the point. I repeated this in two of my posts and I want to repeat for the third time. There is a use case for a touring which you describe as did another poster who responded to me. There is no issue here (although I dont share your enthusiasm, this is fine). What I’m pointing out is regarding the paying substantially more for this use case of “wolf in sheep’s clothing” does not correlate with this use case you point out. The price people pay isnt because tourings have a 1 of a kind 10,000 rpm flat 6 nor its because touring has a carbon fiber tub thats special to touring. It is because of speculators and flippers initiating a chain reaction years ago.

Under normal circumstances where a car’s price is determined by its window sticker (which is determined by the complexity of its suspension, engine, transmission, aero dynamics, sound system, seats, brakes, etc), in this case the $60-70k over msrp has absolutely no correlation with the “car” aspect of touring - which is a metal box with 4 tires, engine, 3 pedals, etc. Under these normal circumstances, this compromised car albeit having a legitimate use case, would be worth LESS than its superior (as a car) winged counter part.

A manual gt3 does/should bring more than a pdk simply because its more involving, more fun, a lot less manual cars in the market with 9k N/A engine, bespoke transmission that Porsche had to research and develop, etc etc etc. But this is not the case for touring. What exactly is so special about it from the perspective of it being a car? Because it has no wing it should be worth $60-70k more? Come on. I was here when it was announced and I know what everyone thought of it. I also know what everyone even the most seasoned and old timer Porsche owners here thought of it when its price shot up due to flippers and speculators.

You may love this completely understated GT3. Fine. It's just not mechanically worth that kind of money if we evaluate it as a “car” or a “sports car”.
I was here too. I remember when the Touring came out. All the GT3 snobs turned their nose up, as I recall. I've always loved the thing. C'est la vie.

For me the Touring is superior to the winged GT3 because it has all the performance (as a street driven road car) in a better looking and sleeker package. Sports cars are not just a metal box with four wheels, steering wheel and pedals. Looks matter.

Is that worth $60k more? That's a financial question at the end of the day and the answer is..yes. Because the market says it's worth that much more and value is a somewhat arbitrary concept when it comes Porsches. The Touring market is several years old now and has consistently had a healthy delta over the winged car. The Touring is probably worth at least $10k more than it was a year ago. The winged car has probably lost some value. Is that the fault of speculators or is it because Porsche simply did not meet demand? Who cares, it is what it is.

I think the point here is that the Touring is not worth it *for you*. And that's fine.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:18 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

The Touring has had its Rennlist detractors ever since its debut. That is fine. To each his own. But the aftermarket sale price numbers are what they are and they have been and continue to remain quite impressive. Indeed, the 991.2 Touring continues to appreciate in price and like many others on this forum, I do not see it trending downward. Like many others, I too get excited when a Touring goes live on BAT. It is must-see internet browsing, those last couple minutes of the auction.

It does amaze me how some of these cars go through owners like gold diggers go through wealthy men here in LA. But that is a whole other topic, for another day.
Riptide (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 05:48 AM
Borderdog
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertige
The Houston 5k miles silver one is pending, listed at 270k. Looks like it’s only been on the market for 14 days or so.
This is my car. I decided to take it off the market unless they sold it before I told them to remove it. I was originally selling it because I’m getting a S/T but I just can’t bring myself to sell it anymore.
The following 3 users liked this post by Borderdog:
168glhs1986 (02-20-2024), DEALKLR911 (02-20-2024), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:24 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The Touring has had its Rennlist detractors ever since its debut. That is fine. To each his own. But the aftermarket sale price numbers are what they are and they have been and continue to remain quite impressive. Indeed, the 991.2 Touring continues to appreciate in price and like many others on this forum, I do not see it trending downward. Like many others, I too get excited when a Touring goes live on BAT. It is must-see internet browsing, those last couple minutes of the auction.

It does amaze me how some of these cars go through owners like gold diggers go through wealthy men here in LA. But that is a whole other topic, for another day.

😂😂 so true about the gold diggers here in LA
Old 02-20-2024, 10:40 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Borderdog
This is my car. I decided to take it off the market unless they sold it before I told them to remove it. I was originally selling it because I’m getting a S/T but I just can’t bring myself to sell it anymore.
@Borderdog when you get a chance, please confirm if sold or kept so I can update the list. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:58 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 696 Posts

You may love this completely understated GT3. Fine. Its just not mechanically worth that kind of money if we evaluate it as a “car” or a “sports car”.
Money money money money. You're looking at this all wrong. Speculation, investment, flipping. This is what's wrong with most new GT owners and I think this is what separates most touring owners from other GT3 winged car owners, although I can only speak for myself. This car is going with me to the grave. The fact that people can sell them just boggles my mind.

The touring wasn't even planned. It was an afterthought. They decided to make a few after the 991.2 GT3 was launched. It wasn't even included in their sales brochure. They made a revised sales brochure.

That will never happen again in the history or Porsche. An "unplanned car". That alone makes it special. Let alone the other differences of which their are many.

You will also likely never understand why I think the early 996.1 early builds are one of Porsche's most significant cars. Some things just can't be explained. The 991.2 Touring is one of them.

The following 2 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
kid_touring (07-21-2024), rhk118 (03-22-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:00 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Borderdog
This is what I just posted about ^. Congrats on keeping. Hopefully you don't have to sell for the ST. Or drive the ST for a while and see which you like more.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:28 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Cars are worth what a person is willing to pay, and has zero to do with sum of all parts. Cars are emotional hard to price that out.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...omments-anchor
Old 02-20-2024, 12:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Money money money money. You're looking at this all wrong. Speculation, investment, flipping. This is what's wrong with most new GT owners and I think this is what separates most touring owners from other GT3 winged car owners, although I can only speak for myself. This car is going with me to the grave. The fact that people can sell them just boggles my mind.

The touring wasn't even planned. It was an afterthought. They decided to make a few after the 991.2 GT3 was launched. It wasn't even included in their sales brochure. They made a revised sales brochure.

That will never happen again in the history or Porsche. An "unplanned car". That alone makes it special. Let alone the other differences of which their are many.

You will also likely never understand why I think the early 996.1 early builds are one of Porsche's most significant cars. Some things just can't be explained. The 991.2 Touring is one of them.
Not to bring up the dreaded Rolex analogy, but this is the classic story with random one off Rolex dials. You can have two identical Subs, one with a slightly different dial run and the difference in value is astronomical. Is it objectively any different? No. But the collectibility of the watch is greater and so the value is justified.Again, a product is worth whatever the market says it's worth.

For me - I also like that this was the first of its kind and that it was MT only. Makes it feel like a pet project that Porsche ran, which is really what it was. Ironically, I also like that the car is a little polarizing. They came out with a car that appeals to a very niche group of people and they didn't do much to try and sell it. "If you know, you know" kind of thing.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-20-2024 at 12:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
JAB12 (02-20-2024), rhk118 (03-22-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:42 PM
YMGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 57 Posts

i didn't really understand the touring hype until i picked one up recently. It is now my favorite modern GT car. IYKYK kind of a car. It's just kind of interesting how values have taken off again more recently. Maybe its just the hype around the 992 is dying down and its ok again to declare the love for the 1.2 gen.
The following 3 users liked this post by YMGT4:
168glhs1986 (02-20-2024), JAB12 (02-20-2024), mattyf (03-12-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:55 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mrrdstr
The same could be said about the 993 C2S 👍 and look at them now
I arguably had the best example in the US. Sold it to my friend who made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He still has it.

I’ll never make that mistake again. Money comes and goes. Classic designs are priceless. My 991.2 Touring reminds me so much of my 993S when I look at it.
Mrrdstr (02-20-2024)

Quick Reply: WTB/FS: 991.2 Touring GT3