Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023 | 07:59 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mthrice
That’s the highest invoice on an engine replacement by about 40k!
Maybe the core return was accounted for separately.

Glad to see another car taken to the track and getting the job done. I'm not sure why everybody isn't doing this with their car that was built for the track and all.
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (11-03-2023)
Old 11-02-2023 | 04:11 PM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Maybe the core return was accounted for separately.

Glad to see another car taken to the track and getting the job done. I'm not sure why everybody isn't doing this with their car that was built for the track and all.
The core return is in there. The biggest shocker is that the engine by itself was $130K!!!!!

The core return was 30 grand

That is a $100K net for the engine - silly.

Last edited by konrad h1; 11-02-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2023 | 04:32 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konrad h1
The core return is in there. The biggest shocker is that the engine by itself was $130K!!!!!

The core return was 30 grand

That is a $100K net for the engine - silly.
Right!! MSRP on the whole car in 2015 was 135K!! Crazy...

Last edited by el0designs; 11-02-2023 at 04:32 PM. Reason: misspelled word
matt2ace (11-02-2023)
Old 11-03-2023 | 08:23 PM
garyklein911
Rennlist Member

Default New engine here for 2015 GT3 with 33,000 miles on it.

I bought a 2015 GT3 Jan 2020. WIth Covid, only one track event 10-2020. Then 3 years of 4 HPDE's per year. I have won autocrosses the last 2 years also.. I am a PCA instructor for 28 years. Only beat by Porsche Factory Race cars on track by times. Had High RPM error at track few weeks ago. I could duplicate error by reving up to redline of 9,000 RPM and let it shift automatically. It would not fault by shifting with the paddles at all. I could get to fault 3 times in couple hours by just putting in 2nd gear and hammer it and let it automatically shift at redline. Finger followers were all worn and camshafts were grooved from wear. This was on cylinder #6. I had taken my GT3 to my dealer 8 days ago. Couple of days of weekend in there. Diagnosed 4 days ago and engine ordered 3 days ago. Engine at dealership today. Overnight from Germany. Wow, talk about service. Says it will be in the car in a couple of days.
Secret: Let the car shift automatically and do not use paddle on the track. Yes, I was going for my fastest times every session, and I am a very aggressive driver. I had done Porsche Club Racing in the past and Vintage Racing also. The car has almost 34,000 miles on it, after buying it at about 26,000 miles. Probably 80% of these miles are hard track miles, or hard high mountain pass blitzes, about 8,000 miles. There was no indication of trouble till the fault on the track a few weeks ago.
I was told the invoice for the engine that arrived today was $64,000. I can only smile with my experience so far since the faults showed up. Looking at the finger followers and camshafts, it was amazing that it didn't blow. The finger follower attachment was so worn, it could be moved about easily. Go drive your car hard! But it sounds like it can happen even when not heavily tracked. I just jointed Rennlist and this is my first reply. I hope this helps someone. Reply if anyone has any questions.
The following 3 users liked this post by garyklein911:
johnsopa (11-04-2023), konrad h1 (11-04-2023), pjazz (05-03-2024)
Old 11-03-2023 | 09:12 PM
garyklein911
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone want a beautiful 2015 GT3 with a brand new engine not even put in yet?

Just needed to add to my comment above. I probably will sell my beautiful 2015 GT3. Sapphire Blue and looks like a show car. Carbon buckets and almost no other options. yI have pictures if anyone is interested in seeing this gorgous car. The engine will be put in in the next few days. I am almost 70 and probably don't need to be the fastest car on the track anymore. Here is a car that will have a non-broken in new engine in the next few days. I probably will sell. This is only my 2nd reply to Rennlist that I just joined last month. I hope this is ok to do.
johnsopa (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023 | 01:21 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garyklein911
Just needed to add to my comment above. I probably will sell my beautiful 2015 GT3. Sapphire Blue and looks like a show car. Carbon buckets and almost no other options. yI have pictures if anyone is interested in seeing this gorgous car. The engine will be put in in the next few days. I am almost 70 and probably don't need to be the fastest car on the track anymore. Here is a car that will have a non-broken in new engine in the next few days. I probably will sell. This is only my 2nd reply to Rennlist that I just joined last month. I hope this is ok to do.
congratulations on winning the lottery and getting a new engine.

My two cents. Keep the car and enjoy it even if you don’t track it. The new engine will be great and you’ll still have a car worth $100k+ whenever you decide to sell it.
Old 11-25-2023 | 04:37 PM
PcarMav
Rennlist Member

contact info?
Old 11-25-2023 | 05:20 PM
garyklein911
Rennlist Member

Default New G6 engine

Amazing care from my Dealership and Porsche. 15 days total time from when I took in to diagnosis high rev codes to driving my car home. Actually was ready few days before that. It was all covered by Porsche and I received some Porsche Swag and $200 restaurant gift certificate for my inconvenience. garyklein911@msn.com

New engine in crate

Ready to raise into my GT3
The following 7 users liked this post by garyklein911:
cavlino (01-30-2024), FL4T-SIX (01-23-2024), Gbos1 (01-22-2024), itrsteve (01-22-2024), pjazz (05-03-2024), rekka (01-21-2024), Rick GT3 (11-25-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2024 | 01:05 PM
captainkeegster
1st Gear

congrats on the G6 replacement. How much are you looking to sell for?
Old 01-22-2024 | 01:50 PM
garyklein911
Rennlist Member

After much soul searching, as I was offered a slot for a new 992 build in April, I have decided to keep my GT3. I was toying with $135-140,000 range. After much research, I learned the new G6 engine has all the right fixes to take care of the defects they ran into with all the E engines, F engines, and the earlier G0 through G5 engines. G6 was the final 2016 version, as I understand it. I figured out I was going backwards in settling for a new 992 Carrera S compared to my GT3. You are on the right track to look for a G6 engine in 991.1 GT3. Good luck and happy hunting.
The following 6 users liked this post by garyklein911:
cavlino (01-30-2024), itrsteve (01-22-2024), johnsopa (01-23-2024), konrad h1 (01-23-2024), Manhattan_trout (01-31-2024), pjazz (05-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2024 | 09:05 PM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

After much soul searching, as I was offered a slot for a new 992 build in April, I have decided to keep my GT3. I was toying with $135-140,000 range. After much research, I learned the new G6 engine has all the right fixes to take care of the defects they ran into with all the E engines, F engines, and the earlier G0 through G5 engines. G6 was the final 2016 version, as I understand it. I figured out I was going backwards in settling for a new 992 Carrera S compared to my GT3. You are on the right track to look for a G6 engine in 991.1 GT3. Good luck and happy hunting.
Good call!
Old 01-25-2024 | 01:58 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Copy of my post from the 991.1 GT3 engine worries thread:

Update for my fellow 991.1 GT3 owners.

My engine warranty ends in Nov of this year so I figured I would get the jump on next steps. As I mentioned in earlier posts and/ or alternative threads here, my plan was - if I do not experience any check engine warnings and get closer to warranty expiration, I would bring the car to my local Porsche dealer, pay them to drop the motor and inspect. If they observe wear, they submit to Porsche NA and a new engine gets approved. If no wear is visible, engine goes back in with peace of mind.

So, I reached out to my local dealer (10 minutes away) and left multiple messages. No call backs. I then reached out to the next closest (1 hour away) and no call backs. Finally, I go all to the way to the next one out (1.5 hours away) and finally hear back after chasing them for two weeks. Their statement to me - "why would Porsche pay to pull your engine out and inspect it?". So, after attempting to help them understand what I was looking for and understand that I was paying to drop the engine, saving them diagnostic time and only asking for warranty replacement if wear is detected, the advisor said reluctantly, "I will have my manager get back to you, but I doubt they are going to want to do this".

Amazing....

I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-29-2024 | 03:15 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by el0designs
Copy of my post from the 991.1 GT3 engine worries thread:

Update for my fellow 991.1 GT3 owners.

My engine warranty ends in Nov of this year so I figured I would get the jump on next steps. As I mentioned in earlier posts and/ or alternative threads here, my plan was - if I do not experience any check engine warnings and get closer to warranty expiration, I would bring the car to my local Porsche dealer, pay them to drop the motor and inspect. If they observe wear, they submit to Porsche NA and a new engine gets approved. If no wear is visible, engine goes back in with peace of mind.

So, I reached out to my local dealer (10 minutes away) and left multiple messages. No call backs. I then reached out to the next closest (1 hour away) and no call backs. Finally, I go all to the way to the next one out (1.5 hours away) and finally hear back after chasing them for two weeks. Their statement to me - "why would Porsche pay to pull your engine out and inspect it?". So, after attempting to help them understand what I was looking for and understand that I was paying to drop the engine, saving them diagnostic time and only asking for warranty replacement if wear is detected, the advisor said reluctantly, "I will have my manager get back to you, but I doubt they are going to want to do this".

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ctionplan/vsp/
Amazing....

I will keep you guys posted.
Why not just buy a Porsche extended service contract from your Porsche dealer?
That's what I did for my 2015 GT3.

Last edited by parkerfe; 01-29-2024 at 03:19 PM. Reason: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porschefinancialservices/protectionplan/vsp/
Old 01-29-2024 | 03:34 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Why not just buy a Porsche extended service contract from your Porsche dealer?
That's what I did for my 2015 GT3.
That's what I was thinking as well. I will most likely go this route. I guess I will need them to call me back at some point!! I haven't even been able to get them to return a call. Till this day, still nothing from my local dealer (Suncoast Porsche) or Porsche Tampa. I've grown tired of leaving messages honestly.

What were the particulars of the Porsche extended warranty? Was it a third party or the Porsche Protection warranty they offer? Any deductible or cap on per year claims?

For me, the warranty available will ultimately determine if I keep the car or flip for a Mclaren (or similar). Since my local dealer is so unresponsive, I would need to bring the car to a local tuner such as SV Motorsport or Rennhaus, and they would need to be covered per the terms of the warranty contract.
Old 01-29-2024 | 03:59 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by el0designs
That's what I was thinking as well. I will most likely go this route. I guess I will need them to call me back at some point!! I haven't even been able to get them to return a call. Till this day, still nothing from my local dealer (Suncoast Porsche) or Porsche Tampa. I've grown tired of leaving messages honestly.

What were the particulars of the Porsche extended warranty? Was it a third party or the Porsche Protection warranty they offer? Any deductible or cap on per year claims?

For me, the warranty available will ultimately determine if I keep the car or flip for a Mclaren (or similar). Since my local dealer is so unresponsive, I would need to bring the car to a local tuner such as SV Motorsport or Rennhaus, and they would need to be covered per the terms of the warranty contract.
You will need to ask for the Finance office at your Porsche dealer or show up on person.
If they won't help, call Emerson Knauss at Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta, 219-712-3892:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ctionplan/vsp/
el0designs (01-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration