Sponsored by:

2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 05:08 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mthrice
First of all, it's not a dreaded reduced power consult workshop warning, that's your ticket to a new engine. Secondly, next time it happens drive it directly to the dealer and don't shut the engine off when you get there.
I hear ya. I did that the first time I had an issue. CEL came on with a reduced power error. Drove right to the dealer. They diagnosed a cylinder misfire, cleared it and told me to keep driving it and see what happens. It was fine for a week or two and then multiple errors. Then cleared itself for a bit. Its so inconsistent. I've been daily driving the car much more than normal in order to get it to either break or fix itself, just to get it over with at this point.

On the plus side, I've been daily driving the car which is a lot of fun. The struggle is real...
Old 05-25-2023, 05:14 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I could be wrong, but I don't think a scope can reach into the valvetrain area. My understanding is that the engine needs to be dropped to take the valve cover off to inspect the drivetrain.

Porsche has outlined a procedure that dealers need to follow (spark plugs, coil packs, etc.) before they get approval to drop the engine for inspection of the valvetrain.
Maybe you're right. I have seen posts on RL that mention a quick and easy scope process and then others that mention dropping the motor. For a grand, I would scope the motor.

For 5 grand, as much as I would love to know, I might consider a service contract instead. That's a tough call. If someone at Porsche told me they would drop motor, scope and find FF damage, new motor 100%, I would do it. The concern is drop motor, scope and find no FF damage for 5K. Ouch.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:21 PM
sfnyc
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by el0designs
Maybe you're right. I have seen posts on RL that mention a quick and easy scope process and then others that mention dropping the motor. For a grand, I would scope the motor.

For 5 grand, as much as I would love to know, I might consider a service contract instead. That's a tough call. If someone at Porsche told me they would drop motor, scope and find FF damage, new motor 100%, I would do it. The concern is drop motor, scope and find no FF damage for 5K. Ouch.
yeah and is it possible they find nothing for 5K and then things develop later the warranty? I'm still not doing it nor getting a service contract. I am going to document everything for the next 1.5 years including my messages to Porsche NA. But you're right, it's pretty fun stressing this car.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:20 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I still dont understand... sfnyc, you had the CEL allready, right? There is not much to do in the next 1,5 years. Just drive it to the dealer next time. The error is stored in the ecu. Maybe the clear it and send you away, maybe they switch the ignition coil and let you go... just do it. 2 weeks later you are there again, the error is back and they will drop the engine.
The following users liked this post:
johnsopa (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 09:04 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
I still dont understand... sfnyc, you had the CEL allready, right? There is not much to do in the next 1,5 years. Just drive it to the dealer next time. The error is stored in the ecu. Maybe the clear it and send you away, maybe they switch the ignition coil and let you go... just do it. 2 weeks later you are there again, the error is back and they will drop the engine.
Agreed. @sfnyc is welll on the way to a new engine especially with the new CELs that will be stored in memory.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:35 AM
sfnyc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Yup, will do. Most of my drives are weekends so dealer not open, but now going to be driving weekdays more so will be sure to keep stressing the car.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:49 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfnyc
Yup, will do. Most of my drives are weekends so dealer not open, but now going to be driving weekdays more so will be sure to keep stressing the car.
Remember you don't need the CEL to be active on the dash, once it is displayed, it is stored even if the CEL disappears. The dealer will be able to read that, then might try moving coil packs/spark plugs, then send you out again. Once the CEL is determined to not be tied to a bad plug or coil, they will likely request permission from Porsche to drop the engine to check the followers.

Last edited by johnsopa; 05-26-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:57 AM
sfnyc
Intermediate

Remember you don't need the CEL to be active, once it is displayed, it is stored even if the CEL disappears. The dealer will be able to read that, then might try moving coil packs/spark plugs, then send you out again. Once the CEL is determined to not be tied to a bad plug or coil, they will likely request permission from Porsche to drop the engine to check the followers.
Yeah that's what I thought, at least check the coils. Unfortunately they refused to do any of that. They admitted the code is there but they only drove it for a mile to try to reproduce it; they said they can't so they stopped and didn't do anything further. Kinda annoying as the car was there for 12 days and that's all they did. They asked me if I want their mechanic to keep driving the car more to reproduce the code and I said no as I can do it myself. I sent a message to corporate to see what else they will authorize
Old 05-26-2023, 11:02 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah that's what I thought, at least check the coils. Unfortunately they refused to do any of that. They admitted the code is there but they only drove it for a mile to try to reproduce it; they said they can't so they stopped and didn't do anything further. Kinda annoying as the car was there for 12 days and that's all they did. They asked me if I want their mechanic to keep driving the car more to reproduce the code and I said no as I can do it myself. I sent a message to corporate to see what else they will authorize
That's terrible. Are you in SF or NYC?

My engine failed catastrophically earlier this month. Dealer had approval from Porsche to drop engine the day after I dropped it off. Had an engine ordered the next day or two. New engine air freighted in two days later.

Last edited by johnsopa; 05-26-2023 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:21 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by el0designs

There's no way there's not going to be no damage, the cams get scored. The problem isn't random.

I would spend money on that long before I would entertain a 3rd party service contract.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:23 AM
sfnyc
Intermediate

That's terrible. Are you in SF or NYC?

My engine failed catastrophically earlier this month. Dealer had approval to drop engine the day after I dropped it off. Had an engine ordered the next day or two. New engine air freighted in two days later.
SF, I went to Fremont Porsche, a very reputable place (though I heard not as much now that Gunther has left). Congrats on the new engine! I really hope for the day that I can really enjoy the car without all the worry
Old 05-26-2023, 11:25 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 420 Posts

I apologize for being an annoying broken record about this one but there's a surefire way to get the fault to trigger which doesn't put your car at risk of being wrecked.

Find a quiet, straight road. In 2nd gear and slowly get it up to redline at partial throttle and don't let it drop below 8500. It comes back quickly.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:42 AM
sfnyc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itrsteve
I apologize for being an annoying broken record about this one but there's a surefire way to get the fault to trigger which doesn't put your car at risk of being wrecked.

Find a quiet, straight road. In 2nd gear and slowly get it up to redline at partial throttle and don't let it drop below 8500. It comes back quickly.
definitely, thanks for all tips. yes, based on advice on the forum, this is what i did a couple of weeks ago to trigger the code. just thought would be a good idea given the warranty ends in a year. So will go out again and do it until it comes back.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:56 PM
JlewGt3
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Fremont is a good shop. I would have them pull the valve covers and inspect the cams before the warranty goes out.

I have a 2015 GT3 F engine with about 22K, mostly spirited driving and couple track days. Recently at 8500 rpm on a spirited drive got the dreaded "reduced power consult workshop" code. it went away after restart and hasn't come back. Brought to Fremont Porsche which has good reputation and they have not been able to reproduce. Nothing else done, they just drove it around at high RPM. Concerns me though. I will obviously keep driving like mad but they are telling me that if they cannot reproduce it in the shop they won't do further testing under warranty.

I'm a lawyer by training but now doing something else, but I wonder about Porsche's liability in cars that continue to have these fire codes and Porsche doesn't do anything and then something happens to our cars after the warranty ends (mind is end 2024). I certainly would consult a lawyer if this were to happen b/c it could be argued there were warnings. I'm not paying for any extended warranty or engine check as I think this is Porsche's responsibility.

What do people think?
Old 10-20-2023, 10:39 AM
matt2ace
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blown motor at 1st track weekend on my 35k mile 991.1

2nd day of DE at CMP. Wife and I both driving the GT3 (2015 w/~35k miles) for the 1st time on track for the car. Mid afternoon session, reduced power code. Just replaced coils and plugs, possible bad coil was unlikely. We had GMP at the track who wennt through basic diags and scoped cylinder 5, clear evidence of valves hitting piston.
Car went to Henrick Porsche 4 weeks ago......just got notified that replacement engine is at the shop, estimated 3 weeks to complete install and verification. I will follow up with a summary of the work.....
The following 2 users liked this post by matt2ace:
johnsopa (10-20-2023), ronmastas (11-02-2023)

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration