991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023 | 04:27 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

May as well just roll the dice, or better yet, just buy a car with a G6.
Old 05-15-2023 | 04:38 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

The best financial decision that can be made now before the 10 year warranty expires is to pay the Porsche dealer ~$5,000 to take out the motor and inspect the FF & Camshaft. If it's damaged, they will replace the motor. If it's not think of it as a different type of an insurance policy- A piece-of-mind insurance policy!
The following 2 users liked this post by TinyPP:
Highline-Autos.com (05-15-2023), johnsopa (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023 | 04:39 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Any one knows what the lowest mileage engine failure is/was?
Old 05-15-2023 | 04:40 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TinyPP
The best financial decision that can be made now before the 10 year warranty expires is to pay the Porsche dealer ~$5,000 to take out the motor and inspect the FF & Camshaft. If it's damaged, they will replace the motor. If it's not think of it as a different type of an insurance policy- A piece-of-mind insurance policy!
Absolutely. Was planning to do this about a year before my 10 years is up.

I would like to know if any pre G6 motors that were inspected have NOT shown wear.
Old 05-15-2023 | 04:46 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good advice here.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-15-2023 | 04:49 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mthrice
May as well just roll the dice, or better yet, just buy a car with a G6.
I made a comment about his before, but maybe things have changed in the last 6 months, but I have not seen G6's advertised, I'm not sure if it is because people are holding on to them, whether that is more of a "follow up" question, or some folks just don't know a couple owners down the road.
Old 05-15-2023 | 06:06 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Any one knows what the lowest mileage engine failure is/was?
I doubt mine was the lowest, but my F engine was replaced right at 10,000 miles give or take a few miles. The car is at 41k miles now, with 31k on the G6 and it's been solid.
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (05-17-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 03:38 PM
sfnyc
Intermediate

I have a 2015 GT3 F engine with about 22K, mostly spirited driving and couple track days. Recently at 8500 rpm on a spirited drive got the dreaded "reduced power consult workshop" code. it went away after restart and hasn't come back. Brought to Fremont Porsche which has good reputation and they have not been able to reproduce. Nothing else done, they just drove it around at high RPM. Concerns me though. I will obviously keep driving like mad but they are telling me that if they cannot reproduce it in the shop they won't do further testing under warranty.

I'm a lawyer by training but now doing something else, but I wonder about Porsche's liability in cars that continue to have these fire codes and Porsche doesn't do anything and then something happens to our cars after the warranty ends (mind is end 2024). I certainly would consult a lawyer if this were to happen b/c it could be argued there were warnings. I'm not paying for any extended warranty or engine check as I think this is Porsche's responsibility.

What do people think?
Black gold (02-19-2024)
Old 05-24-2023 | 03:48 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

I just got reduced power and engine control fault codes plus it was running rough. Happened right at startup. Its heading into the shop this weekend. I am going to have them scope the engine. As others have mentioned on RL, its a small expense and can be done easily. I am hoping they find something on the finger followers and use that as the diagnosis to move forward, rather than trying to duplicate the issues. It seems like a much more reliable indicator. If they find nothing and the issues are coils or something, then at least piece of mind that the FF's are in good shape I guess.
Old 05-24-2023 | 04:04 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by el0designs
I just got reduced power and engine control fault codes plus it was running rough. Happened right at startup. Its heading into the shop this weekend. I am going to have them scope the engine. As others have mentioned on RL, its a small expense and can be done easily. I am hoping they find something on the finger followers and use that as the diagnosis to move forward, rather than trying to duplicate the issues. It seems like a much more reliable indicator. If they find nothing and the issues are coils or something, then at least piece of mind that the FF's are in good shape I guess.
I could be wrong, but I don't think a scope can reach into the valvetrain area. My understanding is that the engine needs to be dropped to take the valve cover off to inspect the drivetrain.

Porsche has outlined a procedure that dealers need to follow (spark plugs, coil packs, etc.) before they get approval to drop the engine for inspection of the valvetrain.
Old 05-24-2023 | 04:22 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfnyc
I have a 2015 GT3 F engine with about 22K, mostly spirited driving and couple track days. Recently at 8500 rpm on a spirited drive got the dreaded "reduced power consult workshop" code. it went away after restart and hasn't come back. Brought to Fremont Porsche which has good reputation and they have not been able to reproduce. Nothing else done, they just drove it around at high RPM. Concerns me though. I will obviously keep driving like mad but they are telling me that if they cannot reproduce it in the shop they won't do further testing under warranty.

I'm a lawyer by training but now doing something else, but I wonder about Porsche's liability in cars that continue to have these fire codes and Porsche doesn't do anything and then something happens to our cars after the warranty ends (mind is end 2024). I certainly would consult a lawyer if this were to happen b/c it could be argued there were warnings. I'm not paying for any extended warranty or engine check as I think this is Porsche's responsibility.

What do people think?
Well, I suspect that Porsche feels that they have essentially already given us a six year extended warranty on the engine. What Porsche will do after the ten year mark remains to be seen...

If I were you, I'd keep driving the car. If nothing else happens by 9 - 9.5 years, then consider paying to have the engine dropped to have the valvetrain check for finger follower wear.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnsopa:
Highline-Autos.com (05-24-2023), pjazz (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 07:16 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfnyc

What do people think?
First of all, it's not a dreaded reduced power consult workshop warning, that's your ticket to a new engine. Secondly, next time it happens drive it directly to the dealer and don't shut the engine off when you get there.
sfnyc (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 07:23 PM
sfnyc
Intermediate

all good points. will see next year, I might just get a lawyer to look into it and get a sense from other members what to do
Old 05-25-2023 | 05:34 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

With that error description, you dont need a lawyer or a magician. Just drive it a while in the 8.000+ range and you will see the CEL again. Next stop is the dealer and your new engine will come. Why wait until warranty is over?
Ted Hitchcock (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023 | 09:24 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
With that error description, you dont need a lawyer or a magician. Just drive it a while in the 8.000+ range and you will see the CEL again. Next stop is the dealer and your new engine will come. Why wait until warranty is over?
Yes, also I stress to do this but also at partial throttle in 2nd and sustain >8500. It doesn't take long, just don't give it relief.
The following 2 users liked this post by itrsteve:
slipaway37 (05-25-2023), Ted Hitchcock (05-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 GT3 10 year engine warranty expiration