Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 12:46 AM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
that is not true, Dundon's warranty is only for the original purchaser, similarly for DSC and as far as I am aware this is standard for aftermarket parts. I have no skin in this game as I bought the Dundon exhaust, but JCR seem to be following industry norms.
You are correct, most aftermarket parts warranty if not all only apply to the original owner and that's why i cant fault them for not wanting to warranty the repair.
But i also have the right to be upset when a high end exhaust system falls apart so devastating after 2 track days. And it looks I'm not the only one.

At first i thought i must be so good and fast I'm stressing the exhaust way past the limits it was designed for but once i found out others have the same issue i realized I'm just average, lol
Old 01-06-2022, 01:36 AM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 60 Posts

I just read this whole thread and it seems so messy. If I were selling and marketing a high end Titanium product for high dollar GT3's, as soon as a failure shows up in my inbox I would want to get it addressed right away. I think that JCR's original response left something to be desired to be honest. Yes, they responded with a few options but didn't really convey that they felt fully responsible for the failure, second hand part be damned. The remaining banter isn't really helping the optics here either. If I was the business owner, I would have replied to this thread saying "sorry for missing your original message, we'll replace your exhaust and get to the bottom of it". The cost of torching reputation would not be worth the $1500 cost basis of an exhaust.

For example, some possible options would have been to send the OP an empty box with shipping taken care. I recently had an issue with something I bought for my garage and they did this for me no questions asked. I can totally understand wanting to make a root cause of failure assessment so would definitely want the exhaust back. Weld repairs wouldn't have made me a happy camper. Without doublers, or reinforcement re-welding something would lead to a compromised part in my opinion.

It looks like all of the exhaust stresses are running through the heat affected zones from the welds. When I installed my center exhaust (thankfully I went Akra), I noticed that the install technique could really lead to different compression pre-loading of the exhaust which might be contributing to it? JCR would certainly know better than me armchair engineering them, but a guess might be that the parent material is cold worked which can have better strength properties than fully annealed/heat affected Titanium alloy. Inconel has some of the highest strength properties at very high temperatures but Titanium alloy isn't a slouch either (and can be lighter as long as the peak temperatures are below a certain point).
The following 4 users liked this post by homesauce:
991C2S88 (01-06-2022), gtmezger (04-11-2022), Spoddle (01-07-2022), zmon (01-10-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:57 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Zubehor
You are correct, most aftermarket parts warranty if not all only apply to the original owner and that's why i cant fault them for not wanting to warranty the repair.
But i also have the right to be upset when a high end exhaust system falls apart so devastating after 2 track days. And it looks I'm not the only one.

At first i thought i must be so good and fast I'm stressing the exhaust way past the limits it was designed for but once i found out others have the same issue i realized I'm just average, lol
I would also be upset in your shoes, and I do appreciate your original post to ask the question "am I just unlucky or this is a common problem", we are all better served when we share information. good luck resolving this with JCR, I believe they are in a tough spot once they starting extending the warranty past the original owner but that does not mean that can't make a good will gesture.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:20 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
OP, I for one appreciate you creating this thread, both on the possible flaws of this product and more importantly how the company has decided to handle this situation.

I hate this "you bought it used" or "you didn't buy it from US" BS. It's still a product JCR puts out there that they charge a premium for. If nothing else JCR should've "demanded" that you ship the exhaust back to them so they can do some trouble shooting and make sure it isn't a design flaw.

I'm sure if this was a cheap *** Ebay knock off exhaust OP would just claim bad luck and throw it in the dumpster. Companies like Dundon, HRE, etc have lifetime warranties regardless if the items were bought new or used because they are so confident and proud about the stuff they put out there they will stand behind it no questions asked (also, they understand for a boutique company selling luxury items reputation is everything).

"To be totally clear, the OP is not a JCR customer, the part was purchased used." This statement from JCR really sealed the deal for me. What difference whether the product was new or used? Still your product. Oh right you already got paid once for it and since it changed hands (without you benefiting financially for it) you're off the hook.
That's really not how business works. You're just adding fuel to the fire when there is no need.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
That's really not how business works. You're just adding fuel to the fire when there is no need.
Do you not see the quotation marks? The guy you quoted is saying the same thing you are.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:21 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I would also be upset in your shoes, and I do appreciate your original post to ask the question "am I just unlucky or this is a common problem", we are all better served when we share information. good luck resolving this with JCR, I believe they are in a tough spot once they starting extending the warranty past the original owner but that does not mean that can't make a good will gesture.
Keeping an eye on this thread. JCR seems to make some nice products, but may be using material that is too thin in order to show the lightest weight possible and may have missed some design considerations to reduce stress on the tubing and welds.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:27 PM
chranotik
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the JCR inconel racing headers and titanium racing pipe installed but i sent mine to get White Lightning coated before being installed. I'm hoping this coating should help prevent any of these issues from happening for me when I start tracking my car.

So far I've had no problems whatsoever but the car has only been driven minimally on the street. Later on this year I plan on traveling around to some tracks.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:35 AM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Update on my situation: I was initially pretty upset but Jonny from JCR did reach out and since I've already shipped my exhaust to a fabricator in the states, as a good will gesture JCR generously offered to cover the repair cost. I am happy with the outcome and I appreciate them making the effort when they didn't have to, especially since I'm not the original purchaser of the exhaust.
The following 21 users liked this post by Zubehor:
911frostys (01-10-2022), Blue Flame (01-09-2022), BrianShaw23 (03-05-2022), charlesk777 (01-07-2022), DHI (01-07-2022), DiscoWagon (01-07-2022), Faster48 (01-10-2022), Franko T (01-07-2022), gt3.997 (01-07-2022), homesauce (01-08-2022), LZRD GRN (01-07-2022), M&Abanker4life (01-17-2022), porsche bud (03-30-2022), rhk118 (01-07-2022), ShakeNBake (01-07-2022), spyderbret (01-13-2022), s_earl1 (01-11-2022), Taffy66 (01-07-2022), TET GT3 (01-07-2022), wiredup (01-13-2022), zmon (01-10-2022) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

but its the least they can do, as it will probably crack again
The following users liked this post:
Franko T (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 04:08 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

glad they ended up making that gesture. that is a fair resolution IMO
Old 01-10-2022, 04:27 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Can we lock this thread now?
Old 01-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Sheesh! The nastiness in this thread is thick.

There are two issues to address:

1. Whether there are design problems, or just manufacturing problems, associated with this exhaust. It is my guess that there is a bit of both going on, but mostly manufacturing problems. It APPEARS that embrittlement occurred at and around the welds. This seems to suggest that the welds were not properly shielded from oxygen during and after the welding process. Proper gas shielding is required from starting the weld until some time after the weld is complete to allow for cool down before being exposed to oxygen. In a pipe like this, I would expect to have Argon flooding the interior of the pipe as well as the weld side, both during the weld and for a minute or two afterwards.

2. Whether JCR has acted poorly in relation to this incident. I don't think they have. It does not sound like they just totally blew the guy off and told him to pound sand. Certainly it would be NICE of them to offer some compensation (edit: it seems that they have). We as owners of these cars and customers of aftermarket stuff always HOPE we will be taken care of. But JCR offers the warranty that they do, and buyers make the choice, and they don't OWE anything to a second-hand purchaser. We can all argue that it's in a business' best interest blah blah blah, and maybe it is, but WE are not entitled to make such decisions for someone else's business. If we are not the original purchase, they don't even OWE us a conversation.

These are two separate issues. Now, they both might effect the purchasing decision of a future potential customer, but they are separate. I might not buy due to issue #1 unless I was shown that adequate corrective measures had been taken, but I wouldn't throw dirt at a company based on issue #2.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:49 PM
wiredup
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have done 4 track days with a silenced race pipe, no issues. Love it!

Quick Reply: JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?