Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 01:59 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up though, still helpful to know that they've modified their exhausts based upon this. The rear end of these cars is an inhospitable place for sure, its all temp and vibration, Ti doesn't like that.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:59 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

These two pictures belong to a friend of mine who tracks his .2 3RS in China. He experienced a similar issue with his race pipe where the rear bypass welding area has a significant crack. He has the JCR Inconel Race Manifolds and the race pipe. JCR sure sounds nice, but I really trust Dundon over JCR for heavy abuse/track driving.

Last edited by CX_GT3; 12-26-2021 at 03:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CX_GT3:
Franko T (12-26-2021), Zubehor (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 04:22 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

So how does the new design aim to improve this issue? Anyone with a new design race pipe care to chime in as to how it has held up under tracking?
Also - what is heavy tracking? Like 20 plus track days or are people experiencing these weld failures after a few track/DE events?
Old 12-26-2021, 04:27 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Man this is really disappointing and I'm so shocked this hasn't been brought up before. I really wish i knew about this issue as i would've never purchased this exhaust, looking back buying it used was a blessing in disguise.
And this is not a titanium issue as i know a couple people with the akra titanium exhaust with plenty track days and no issues at all.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:34 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
So how does the new design aim to improve this issue? Anyone with a new design race pipe care to chime in as to how it has held up under tracking?
Also - what is heavy tracking? Like 20 plus track days or are people experiencing these weld failures after a few track/DE events?
My exhaust started to crack after 2 track days (12 sessions) and after 4 track days it was pretty much destroyed as you can see in my first post.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:47 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

My friend purchased the Inconel Race Manifolds new from JCR and the race pipes used from a car that has never seen a track. He's race pipe started to crack at 5th track day
The following users liked this post:
Zubehor (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 04:54 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

This may sound like I am a JCR hater, but it's just my friends that have JCR systems experiencing real-world problems...

This is the JCR Titanium silenced center bypass that my friend has on his .1 3RS. He has stock headers with Akrapovic side bypass then paired with the JCR rear bypass. The resonator welding completely broke off on both sides after 3 track days, one side was completely gone, the other side was just dangling on there... It wasn't able to be "warrantied" because of the missing resonator on one side.

The following 2 users liked this post by CX_GT3:
Franko T (12-26-2021), Zubehor (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 05:08 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Originally Posted by CX_GT3
This may sound like I am a JCR hater, but it's just my friends that have JCR systems experiencing real-world problems...

This is the JCR Titanium silenced center bypass that my friend has on his .1 3RS. He has stock headers with Akrapovic side bypass then paired with the JCR rear bypass. The resonator welding completely broke off on both sides after 3 track days, one side was completely gone, the other side was just dangling on there... It wasn't able to be "warrantied" because of the missing resonator on one side.

With proof / pictures like this I love to hear the JCR fan boys try and defend this garbage. Thank you for posting these.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zubehor:
CX_GT3 (12-26-2021), Franko T (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 08:27 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by CX_GT3

First I have ever seen of this, we have hundreds of centres out there with zero issues dating back to 2018. For a catastrophic failure of this kind it seems something else must be at play.

Please do ask that they get in touch as I have never seen these images before so the mention of warranty also doesn’t add up.

JC

Last edited by JCR-Porsche; 12-26-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:00 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Zubehor
With proof / pictures like this I love to hear the JCR fan boys try and defend this garbage. Thank you for posting these.
As mentioned in the follow up post by the OP, that exhaust was also a used item. It seems potentially a common theme there on that particular exhaust design which we will need to look into as to why multiple installs might be leading to issues down the line.

In reference to the silenced centre section images, I’ve responded to the member, hopefully we can get some clarity quickly and I will share all findings in this thread but as previously mentioned something doesn’t add up there as I’ve never seen those images and certainly (to my knowledge) no warranty has been discussed nor denied on that particular exhaust.

It’s not a case of fan boys. Our customers on the most part have great experiences and I do always go out of my way to make sure that’s the case no matter what.

I did never receive a follow up email from you, did you send one? Apologies if anything has been missed.

I think it’s worth taking the opportunity to remind that unfortunately issues and failures do occasionally occur no matter what the part is, from exhausts to washing machines. Things can break, nothing is invincible.

With that said, we have thousands of customers and exhausts out there with the vast majority happily running for multiple years across thousands of miles, many of which track based, with zero issues but unsurprisingly things don’t always go perfectly 100% of the time.

Ultimately we will always stand behind our customers and I’ll continue to be as transparent as possible regardless of the circumstances.

JC

Last edited by JCR-Porsche; 12-26-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:04 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Come on johnny really? The "you bought it used" is just a cop out on JCR's part. Kind of hard (if not impossible) to install it wrong don't you think? In this thread alone you have what ... at least 5 cases where every single person that tracked this exhaust has had cracks and/or failed welds. I would say that seems to be the common theme here. I'm sure you have many happy customers that don't track with no issues but unfortunately for us that do that hasn't been the case.

No, i have not emailed you again, you answered my initial email that the USED exhaust is not warrantied in any shape or form. I will not buy another JCR exhaust nor will I pay JCR to repair the broken one so i don't see the point of us going back and forth. I also mentioned a few posts ago i have found a fabricator that can repair and reinforce the cracked exhaust and its already in their possession.

As far as the fan boys sure they are. I was criticized for not contacting you first before posting facts on a public forum about a product i purchased/own and i've had problems. Obviously I did contact you first, but even if i didn't do i need permission from JCR before making a thread?

As always i appreciate your input / replies to this thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zubehor:
CX_GT3 (12-26-2021), Franko T (12-27-2021), Perimeter (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:39 AM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Interested to see how this plays out in terms of future issues and how they are handled. JCR is priced as a premium product, so I think it's fair to expect them to hold up to hard use especially given the marketing done on this site claims lots of real world testing. For sure nothing is perfect, but I dont recall a similar situation with other systems.

I'm a happy JCR exhaust owner with no issues to date (haven't tracked with it). I'm not a card carrying member of any brand though, so I'm interested in all data points to aid in future purchases.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:03 AM
charlesk777
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Likewise. I have a JCR exhaust that I'm fitting next week so I'm also keen to see how this all pans out.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:57 AM
motts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Inconel has better tensile strength properties than titanium given a similar mass...there is a reason the military aerospace industry uses it so much rather than Ti.
It also sounds better, had it in my turbo s from Kline. And it’s definitely structurally stronger than Ti.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
In this case Porsche a premium product should deny warranty on second owner too. What does it matter how many owners it has, it's a metal tube and costs a fortune. The right thing to do is at least fix it for free. I would not buy JCR after hearing this. 👎
This thread sure makes Dundon's customer service shine.

JCR Telling a customer to spend $1200 in shipping & ins to return it overseas and "maybe we will look at it" is anything but reassuring.
Nice stonewall.
Perhaps JCR has the last word...

Last edited by Perimeter; 12-29-2021 at 06:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Perimeter:
991C2S88 (12-29-2021), ASR6 (01-02-2022), CX_GT3 (12-30-2021), rhk118 (12-31-2021)

Quick Reply: JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?