Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer or Independent Better if GT3 Engine Blows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022 | 01:45 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Default Dealer or Independent Better if GT3 Engine Blows?

Am I better off sticking with a Dealer for all maintenance until the 10 year motor warranty on my 2015 GT3 runs out? Legally, there should be no difference if the engine blows....but I'm thinking that sticking with a Dealer during that period may well be the path of least resistance in getting a replacement if my F engine blows.
Old 01-11-2022 | 08:33 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Paying for dealer service is way to expensive for me. I purchased my 2015 a year ago. I had my first oil change done by the dealer, so I could have some what of a relationship. But paying $500 oil changes regularly is nuts. I do work like changing my plugs, and I have an indy that I use. I think as long a you keep good records and receipts you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Mthrice (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022 | 10:15 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Dealer until the 10 year warranty expires
TET GT3 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 12:59 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Any further input on this?
Old 01-12-2022 | 04:47 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Stick to the dealership if you want to avoid issues. Sure you can think that legally it's fine to go to an indy shop, but the relatively small savings vanish if you ever have to deal with months of back and forth on a repair costing tens of $K.

Dealerships generally maintain a good relationship with Porsche, and have a bit of influence over what Porsche will cover.
Old 01-12-2022 | 06:02 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

IMHO, I would use the service provider you trust. Cost may be a part of your decision making process; however, technical know how, their experience, integrity, how they treat their customers and your vehicle all play a part. For some this answer is the dealer. For others, there are some excellent non-dealer service providers who often exceed expectations in this regard. Couple this with convenience, e.g., distance from dealership and or service provider, etc. For CPO and OEM warranty work it must be the dealer. Otherwise, the dealer can't deny their warranty because you choose to have your vehicle serviced elsewhere. Often, at least is my experience, many of the technicians who now work independent of dealers were once their best technicians who have now branched out on their own. These are techs who work on CGT, and all makes and models of Porsche. There is a reason you see your neighbors taking their cars there vs. the dealer, and it isn't often cost. The dealer has to earn that business, they don't simply get it because they fly a logo.
PatrickBateman (01-15-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 06:13 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

My engine is getting replaced right now.

I do all my maintenance, oil changes, filters, rotors, brake pads, plugs, coils.
I keep a record of what I bought and when it was installed.
I did not have any issues with the dealer and warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by TPG:
PatrickBateman (01-15-2022), pjazz (01-13-2022), Zubehor (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 06:24 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Some what of a side topic, but I am real curious how they will handle this post-warranty for everybody that didn't get one. They're legally obligated to tell you to pound sand I suppose. But hypothetically I'd start at the dealer and play the customer angle for goodwill

Now 12 of so months before the warranty is up and nothing happened then I would ask about paying out of pocket to drop it and inspect for damage, it has happened successfully on here.
Old 01-12-2022 | 06:45 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Some what of a side topic, but I am real curious how they will handle this post-warranty for everybody that didn't get one. They're legally obligated to tell you to pound sand I suppose. But hypothetically I'd start at the dealer and play the customer angle for goodwill

Now 12 of so months before the warranty is up and nothing happened then I would ask about paying out of pocket to drop it and inspect for damage, it has happened successfully on here.
And having your service done at the dealer will make them more likely to help you out with a bad engine after the 10 year warranty expires.
Old 01-12-2022 | 07:42 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

This is the dilemma for certain. Your idea of an inspection 12-months prior to warranty expiration is interesting. Depending on what this costs and entails could be an approach. I suspect if there is a pervasive issue post the warranty period what's to stop another ownership group from contacting Porsche to discuss further. Not assuming this works twice, but it's another option. I'm confident there will be third party solutions, similar to what Dundon was working towards. Who knows what the fix costs; however, if it comes to that it is possible the 991.1 settles into a price point where it is factored into the decision for buyers and owners. Prior to the pandemic some higher mileage cars were near the $100k mark. It's plausible the car settles in a range where it is simply worth the risk.

I don't believe any dealer, regardless of relationship, will simply provide a replacement engine as goodwill post warranty period. It's my understanding and experience, any warranty work they put forth needs to be approved by Porsche. Thinking a dealer will cover this at their own expense post warranty isn't likely. This rule applies to any OEM and vehicle in warranty. Note, I see the connection of dealer relationships and advocacy for in warranty repairs. It's a whole different ballgame once that expires. As a test, anyone who owns this car now can ask their dealership how they might handle the situation one month post the expiration.

SmokinGTS (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:42 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
This is the dilemma for certain. Your idea of an inspection 12-months prior to warranty expiration is interesting. Depending on what this costs and entails could be an approach. I suspect if there is a pervasive issue post the warranty period what's to stop another ownership group from contacting Porsche to discuss further. Not assuming this works twice, but it's another option. I'm confident there will be third party solutions, similar to what Dundon was working towards. Who knows what the fix costs; however, if it comes to that it is possible the 991.1 settles into a price point where it is factored into the decision for buyers and owners. Prior to the pandemic some higher mileage cars were near the $100k mark. It's plausible the car settles in a range where it is simply worth the risk.

I don't believe any dealer, regardless of relationship, will simply provide a replacement engine as goodwill post warranty period. It's my understanding and experience, any warranty work they put forth needs to be approved by Porsche. Thinking a dealer will cover this at their own expense post warranty isn't likely. This rule applies to any OEM and vehicle in warranty. Note, I see the connection of dealer relationships and advocacy for in warranty repairs. It's a whole different ballgame once that expires. As a test, anyone who owns this car now can ask their dealership how they might handle the situation one month post the expiration.
I agree, I doubt any dealer is going to goodwill one of these things out of their own pocket.

Other thoughts
- The dundon fix isn't going to be cheap BUT could be sort of cool to stroke out the 3.8 and refresh it after 10 years of service. It's not the worst thing in my opinion.
- Yeah somebody else on here proactively had the engine pulled without fault codes being present, they just had to cover it out of pocket up front until wear was proven. After 9/10 years, I don't know how any of these things would show nothing at all.

Old 01-13-2022 | 01:53 PM
TET GT3
Racer

I agree, I doubt any dealer is going to goodwill one of these things out of their own pocket.

Other thoughts
- The dundon fix isn't going to be cheap BUT could be sort of cool to stroke out the 3.8 and refresh it after 10 years of service. It's not the worst thing in my opinion.
- Yeah somebody else on here proactively had the engine pulled without fault codes being present, they just had to cover it out of pocket up front until wear was proven. After 9/10 years, I don't know how any of these things would show nothing at all.
Some people just don't drive these much or very hard. Miles and driving style are going to show wear much more than just age.

I'll keep taking my 2015 to the track and enjoying it. If no issues by the end of warranty, then maybe all clear for years to come.
Old 01-13-2022 | 04:42 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

I don't believe any dealer, regardless of relationship, will simply provide a replacement engine as goodwill post warranty period. It's my understanding and experience, any warranty work they put forth needs to be approved by Porsche. Thinking a dealer will cover this at their own expense post warranty isn't likely. This rule applies to any OEM and vehicle in warranty. Note, I see the connection of dealer relationships and advocacy for in warranty repairs. It's a whole different ballgame once that expires. As a test, anyone who owns this car now can ask their dealership how they might handle the situation one month post the expiration.[/QUOTE]

No, but the dealer will more likely to fight for you to get a new engine from Porsche if you have been a long time paying customer at their service department
PatrickBateman (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealer or Independent Better if GT3 Engine Blows?