Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 04:26 AM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
OP, I had the exact same problem with mine. I track my car so going over curbing is not uncommon and it's this that causes the exhaust to move vertically and stress the weld points. The welds themselves are not sufficient to carry the load as they don't make enough contact with the tubing. JCR modified the design slightly, created a mounting bracket to carry the load of the center piece back to the rear chassis, and sent a new exhaust to me. Sadly the tips don't fit right in the bumper cutout (too low) so I'm still not happy. I only did two track days last year so I have no feedback on longevity. I will say I believe cars that are only street driven won't experience this issue.

I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.
I think you make a very good point with the side to side loads on the track. Sounds like my best bet is to have this one repaired and reinforced.
On the new design they got rid of the support hangers right? i see the brace for the center x pipe, hopefully the welds are reinforced so they don't rip off as well.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:56 AM
bhart192
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb cracks

basically poor weld quality ,could be a host of issues , wrong filler metal .improper weld procedure , non certified welder , welding TI is tricky , need to be done in 0 oxygen environment, if you take to weld shop try to find process pipe shop that works with TI pipe they should be able to repair , lots of average weld shops don't have a clue , advice from industry weld inspector , honestly most welds o exhaust systems i see would be rejected out of hand on visual appearance alone .
Old 12-19-2021, 07:49 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

As im sure you know, you its not a normal welder to fix these.
You need someone with experience in welding titanium, as its a different method, and different hardware/ product used.

I had similar broken welds on titanium exhaust with a R35 GTR of mine. Problem fixed after welding.

My GT3RS has a Akra full titanium system (headers, cats, side deletes & muffler), 1 track day only. But lots of hard street driving. Car has done OVER 60,000 Miles with this exhaust and no issues.
The following users liked this post:
jtsherri (04-22-2024)
Old 12-19-2021, 06:00 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

I think this thread does make it seem like I was dismissive when you contacted originally but I really dont feel that was the case.

Exhaust warranty remains with the original purchaser, I did ask if you knew the original purchaser or authenticity number so that we could track the batch and gather further information.

If I remember correctly I did also say that if you can get the exhaust to us I would be happy to have the guys take a look and we could also repair. Understandable with the distance involved that you didn’t want to explore that option.

I also mentioned that we had another in stock if you wanted a replacement with warranty. This was just one of the options presented.

I hate to see anyone running our exhausts, original purchaser or not, in any way unhappy. We have thousands of exhausts out there now with the vast majority being very happy overall, unfortunately sometimes issues arise and in those instances we do always present options to resolve as quickly as possible.

Please feel free to contact me again directly via email at jonny@jcr-developments.com if you wish to discuss any of the options further

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 11 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Agate (12-20-2021), Alpha Ice (05-28-2022), docjohnM (01-07-2022), goldberg (12-19-2021), josephr25 (12-21-2021), jtsherri (04-22-2024), KOAN (12-29-2021), Larry Cable (12-29-2021), NJ991 (12-25-2021), Rob.Fri (12-31-2021), s_earl1 (01-11-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2021, 06:18 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds very honorable to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by racer959:
goldberg (12-19-2021), Larry Cable (12-29-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 07:20 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
I think this thread does make it seem like I was dismissive when you contacted originally but I really dont feel that was the case.

Exhaust warranty remains with the original purchaser, I did ask if you knew the original purchaser or authenticity number so that we could track the batch and gather further information.

If I remember correctly I did also say that if you can get the exhaust to us I would be happy to have the guys take a look and we could also repair. Understandable with the distance involved that you didn’t want to explore that option.

I also mentioned that we had another in stock if you wanted a replacement with warranty. This was just one of the options presented.

I hate to see anyone running our exhausts, original purchaser or not, in any way unhappy. We have thousands of exhausts out there now with the vast majority being very happy overall, unfortunately sometimes issues arise and in those instances we do always present options to resolve as quickly as possible.

Please feel free to contact me again directly via email at jonny@jcr-developments.com if you wish to discuss any of the options further

JC
I appreciate the reply Jonny, I wanted to keep our conversation out of this post, my reason behind this post was to find out if this is a common issue on cars that see moderate track time. As far as our conversation I did let you know the name of original owner but that doesn't matter since the warranty only applies to the original owner. The ONLY TWO options you gave me were to buy a new exhaust ( which was a little of a slap in the face imo, who in their right mind would buy another exhaust after this) or pay to have this one repaired. And that second option wasn't guaranteed correct? I would prefer not to ship an exhaust all the way to uk just to "have the guys take a look at it" unless i know for sure it can be repaired. If i have to pay for the repair either way it would make a lot more sense to have it repaired locally don't you agree?

For the record i never expected a new exhaust from JCR but i did expect a no cost repair option (shipping excluded of course). Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zubehor:
991C2S88 (12-19-2021), AnthonyGan (12-19-2021), CX_GT3 (12-26-2021), goldberg (12-21-2021), LZRD GRN (12-26-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 12:58 AM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

anecdotal experience, I know two people with this exhaust, one tracks the other does not. The driver that tracks has had his crack a few times, and had to get local welding repair.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:31 AM
991.2 Gt3 Rs
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Currently have a JCR valved race exhaust here. So far no cracks. Only street driven so far. Was planning to track the car this season but now not so sure. This only happens when the car goes over the curbs correct? Normal tracking without going over any curbs should not have this issue. Did not have any cracks on my JCR super light center bypass but again that did not come with any hangers.

Last edited by 991.2 Gt3 Rs; 12-20-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:46 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

I also have a second hand JCR system, think it has the new bracket style it sounds like, but i think JCR should have offered to pay for a local repair. the way these are marketed are for track use! Jonny is a racer himself...

should have been, no problem we have addressed this design issue, but once you have a repair done we would be happy to pay for the cost of those repairs..
The following 3 users liked this post by zmon:
9000RPM_ (01-03-2022), Faster48 (12-20-2021), Zubehor (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:00 AM
Faster48
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
I also have a second hand JCR system, think it has the new bracket style it sounds like, but i think JCR should have offered to pay for a local repair. the way these are marketed are for track use! Jonny is a racer himself...

should have been, no problem we have addressed this design issue, but once you have a repair done we would be happy to pay for the cost of those repairs..
100% agree with this. I don't think the reply from JCR was very helpful to be honest
The following 3 users liked this post by Faster48:
goldberg (12-21-2021), jkob5 (12-20-2021), Zubehor (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 12:31 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991.2 Gt3 Rs
Currently have a JCR valved race exhaust here. So far no cracks. Only street driven so far. Was planning to track the car this season but now not so sure. This only happens when the car goes over the curbs correct? Normal tracking without going over any curbs should not have this issue. Did not have any cracks on my JCR super light center bypass but again that did not come with any hangers.
Depends on the track, and how pronounced they are. Ultimately I think there's a design flaw with the exhaust that will make it fail under more extreme loads experienced on the track vs street. I would maybe disconnect the hangers and hope the x-pipe doesn't crack which seems to be the second weakest point. I would still like to hear if anyone has successfully tracked (at least 4-5 times) with the old design or new for that matter.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:22 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 113 Posts

+1 especially considering the extreme cost of the exhaust. I will be sticking with Akra or Dundon. True measure is how a company deals with a failure not a success. Good luck OP!
The following 3 users liked this post by GT325:
786 (12-22-2021), Franko T (12-20-2021), goldberg (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:53 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

As the OP bought the exhaust used, I do not see why JCR should have to honor the warranty given the original owner. you buy used parts, imho its your risk - even with design flaws.
The following 2 users liked this post by tgibrit:
HooosierDaddy (12-21-2021), jtsherri (04-22-2024)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Zubehor
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgibrit
As the OP bought the exhaust used, I do not see why JCR should have to honor the warranty given the original owner. you buy used parts, imho its your risk - even with design flaws.
i wonder if you would feel the same if Porsche made the warranty on the 991.1 gt3 engine flaw only apply to the original owner.
everyone that bought the car used and had an engine failure should buy a new gt3

Edit: as I mentioned before I didn’t expect the same warranty as the original owner like a new exhaust but I did expect them to say ship it back and we will take care of it. It will cost them nothing to have it fixed at their facility. I would’ve gladly paid for the shipping there and back.

Last edited by Zubehor; 12-20-2021 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
goldberg (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:46 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Inconel has better tensile strength properties than titanium given a similar mass...there is a reason the military aerospace industry uses it so much rather than Ti.
The following 3 users liked this post by usrodeo4:
atlrvr (12-20-2021), goldberg (12-21-2021), KA 991 GT3 (12-21-2021)

Quick Reply: JCR titanium exhaust cracking all over, is this common ?