Sponsored by:

Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 04:46 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’d probably stick with OEM tires in that case (Nankangs very noisy on street).

I prefer the Dunlops slightly over the Cup2 (slightly faster, slightly longer lasting, and more heat resistant, but cost more)

I dont care for the noise.
In addition I have two sets of cup2s for the street.

I just need a new set of tires with better grip to set up a lap record on a local racetrack during time attack competition )))
The only limitation is a 100+ treadwear. So Trofeo R are a no go in this regard.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
I dont care for the noise.
In addition I have two sets of cup2s for the street.

I just need a new set of tires with better grip to set up a lap record on a local racetrack during time attack competition )))
The only limitation is a 100+ treadwear. So Trofeo R are a no go in this regard.
Then maybe give the Nankang a shot (just be aware that they don’t technically “fit” the stock wheels, per manufacturer recommendation and optics). The Cup2 R sounds like the obvious choice (treadwear 140), but they didn’t make them in the correct size for your car (fits 992 GT3 for first time).

Some people also like the Hoosier R7 but you want to go up a size on the rear to 335/25/20 for 12” wide rim.

Not sure if the 265 fronts would rub or not…

See specs here:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/news/art...0”_Wheels.html

Edit: sorry, didn’t realize treadwear rating only 40…

Last edited by GrantG; 08-08-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:12 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Friends don’t let friends run Hoosier, I’ve never had a set where one or more didn’t fail before day 4 and totaled a car when a few sets of Hoosiers had thread separation from the tire wall. Just don’t do it.

Hoosiers is a no go for me after reading this ))
Old 08-08-2021, 10:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

If you want to follow Peter’s advice (Trakcar), then use the OEM Dunlops. That was his choice, before transitioning to real (takeoff) racing slicks.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by rcg412
Nankang ar-1 have been awesome for me. Much better grip and decent longevity.

Did you use the AR1 on GT3 OEM 20 inch rims?
Old 08-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

First. Don’t believe every random opinion you read on the interwebs.

Second. I’ll never understand the purpose of putting R-compound tires on a street car for an HPDE.

Third. Hoosiers are great for what they’re designed for. Wheel to wheel racing. It's also not the number of “days” they’re used, it’s the number of heat cycles (combined with proper tire management INCLUDING being properly broken in). Race tires take a few laps to attain optimal grip and there’s a point where they’ll “go off” if they’re overdriven. If you don’t recognize that point as a driver and back off a little, then you’ll keep losing grip, so you better have really good car control skills.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:36 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
First. Don’t believe every random opinion you read on the interwebs.

Second. I’ll never understand the purpose of putting R-compound tires on a street car for an HPDE.

Third. Hoosiers are great for what they’re designed for. Wheel to wheel racing. It's also not the number of “days” they’re used, it’s the number of heat cycles (combined with proper tire management INCLUDING being properly broken in). Race tires take a few laps to attain optimal grip and there’s a point where they’ll “go off” if they’re overdriven. If you don’t recognize that point as a driver and back off a little, then you’ll keep losing grip, so you better have really good car control skills.

1) Trakcar seems to have driven a lot on street legal cars on a racetrack. His opinion does matter. I dont have proper experience with respect to which tires are best on street legal cars on a racetrack.

2) I am taking part in a local time attack competition with a street legal car just for fun given f…ing pandemic not being able to have a seat in a proper racing car. The regulations of the event is that the treadwear is 100 and up.

3) I am not a bad driver. Just trust me

Last edited by kart driver; 08-09-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:06 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you use the AR1 on GT3 OEM 20 inch rims?
IMO these are too narrow on OEM rims, I ran one set and they were okay but looked so stretched.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:17 PM
kart driver
Racer

Nankang AR-1 has been delivered. Will try those next weekend.

Also ordered a set of cup2R. Very interested to see how they perform.

BTW, which of the two tires Hoosier R7 or Cup2R are faster in a hands of a relatively good driver? If comparing both tires absolutely new and trying to set the best lap time for the first 10 laps from being new.

Quick Reply: Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track