Sponsored by:

Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
I'll have to check this out... Ultimately I want to go 5 lug...
Has anyone actually done that? I've heard about some 997 gen 2 guys doing the 5 lug conversion but I'm not sure if anyone has done any of the 991s. I'd get the Renntorq tool or possible that new gun with the proprietary wheel nuts before I'd go to that expense, especially on an RS. I have the Renntorq set up if you would like to try it.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:53 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I could be wrong but I thought the owners manual (in particular the track maintenance section) had something (negative) to say about slicks in combination with the CLs and hubs ... I could be wrong, but I thought it was something along the lines of "slicks generate too much force/load on the hubs" ... YMMV
Good point Larry Cable. By all means following the recommendations in the owner manual is prudent.

Having burned through several sets of Hoosiers on my 3RS I can speak to the performance and longevity these tires offer over the OE tire.

Like I said, don't let tire wear stop you from enjoying these incredible cars on a track!
-Dave
Old 07-22-2021, 08:50 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Has anyone actually done that? I've heard about some 997 gen 2 guys doing the 5 lug conversion but I'm not sure if anyone has done any of the 991s. I'd get the Renntorq tool or possible that new gun with the proprietary wheel nuts before I'd go to that expense, especially on an RS. I have the Renntorq set up if you would like to try it.
My shop, SP Motorsports, is looking into what is needed to do this. MIght be impossible. They also made it seem like local tire shops won't be able to swap tires with my CL wheels. Such a bitch to drive to SP every time I need to swap wheels so was hoping to stay local. Lloyd's should be able to do it I hope!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Given how many CL car's I've seen at the track with centers not engaged, I wouldn't trust just anyone to swap them. Any potential shop should be able to recite the factory procedure from memory before you let them touch the wheels. Your life depends on it.
The following users liked this post:
HydroLogic (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:21 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

What a great day! Tons of fast cars out there! Did you stick around to witness the Czinger smash the record with a 1:26.7?? Santa Cruz... me too
That's (obviously) super quick. It's a shame they don't make 2Rs in Senna sizes. Best Senna time is a 27.6 on the inferior (by all accounts) Trofeo. 2R over Trofeo by 1.5 to 2 sec at Laguna according to most estimates. Flip side of that coin is that the Trofeo is good for several days before it gives up.
HydroLogic (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:56 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Given how many CL car's I've seen at the track with centers not engaged, I wouldn't trust just anyone to swap them. Any potential shop should be able to recite the factory procedure from memory before you let them touch the wheels. Your life depends on it.
totally agree!
Old 07-23-2021, 01:58 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

My shop, SP Motorsports, is looking into what is needed to do this. MIght be impossible. They also made it seem like local tire shops won't be able to swap tires with my CL wheels. Such a bitch to drive to SP every time I need to swap wheels so was hoping to stay local. Lloyd's should be able to do it I hope!
talk to Doug Neilson he did this on a 997.2 GT3 a few years back - I think it was documented in "European Car"...

Old 07-23-2021, 01:59 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

centers not engage?? what does that mean? Sounds scary
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

centers not engage?? what does that mean? Sounds scary
there is a "safety" locking mechanism that is intended to retain the CL in position, if it is not engaged there is nothing to prevent the CL from loosening

Once you remove the center cap on the CL itself there is a spring loaded lock that needs to be pressed in to allow the CL to be adjusted, the lock, when depressed
will remain so, enabling the CL to be loosened or tightened.

*it must be reengaged once the CL has been re-torqued*

the lock engages some "teeth" on the inside of the CL that prevents it from rotating.

many installers easily forget to reset the lock after remounting the wheel and CL ... thus the lock is not functional!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 07-23-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:27 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
there is a "safety" lock mechanism that is intended to retain the wheel should the CL become lose.

This is the "thing" you press in with the renntool after removing the center cap prior to removing the CL itself ... this 'lock' remains depressed until it is "popped out" in order to
re engage it ...

many installers easily forget to depress the lock after remounting the wheel and CL ... thus the lock is not functional
damn not cool! that's why there is a specific procedure that the installer must understand and have experience with. So local tire shop not a good idea! thanks for the info
Old 07-23-2021, 10:12 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

even when the dealer does the change, I still remove the wheels and make sure they are resintalled correctly before I head to the track - I don't trust anyone when it comes to my safety.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Ive had a main Porsche dealer not pull the safety lock out when servicing the car in the past, I run my car without caps at the track as my track support guys handle the wheel swaps but I always check to see if its pulled out before each drive.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

info regarding 5 lug conversion: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...onversion.html
Old 07-23-2021, 12:42 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsb1001
Ive had a main Porsche dealer not pull the safety lock out when servicing the car in the past, I run my car without caps at the track as my track support guys handle the wheel swaps but I always check to see if its pulled out before each drive.
unbelievable that some Porsche dealers don't know what they doing
Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

attaching a PAG/PCNA document about CL maintenance, in it you can clearly see the CL safety locking mechanism we are discussing...

checkout the pictures on 2,5, &16 those illustrate the lock and the CL ...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Central wheel lock.pdf (1.03 MB, 65 views)

Last edited by Larry Cable; 07-23-2021 at 12:48 PM.
HydroLogic (07-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track