Sponsored by:

Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Diamond 9
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Tires Experience

I have been tracking my 19 GT3RS WP for some time now. Several events at several tracks. From Homestead to COTA. Here is my personal experience with tires. Cup2 are great for street car and some spirited laps on the track. They do not last under hard flat out track weekend.
Worse part is that they will give, loose grip with out any warning. Was very unpleasant experience at Homestead coming down back straightaway making left turn in to the infield at about 110.. Turned left but tires did not grip and car wen perfectly straight rite in to the infield. That set did have 4000 street miles and 3 days at Daytona. Was the original OEM set. They looked perfect with tones of tread wen they came off the wheels.
We no longer run Cup2s at any track day. We run APs with 10x19 and 12x19 Forgelines with 295/30/19 and 345/30/19 R7. The difference in performance is unbelievable. R7 are great tires. They will last 3-6 days depending on track conditions and your personal style of driving.
Unfortunately there is one problem with R7 that we been fighting. Tires will rotate on the rim with will totally trow the balancing off.
At VIR on the back straight and 150mph plus the vibration was ungodly, out last track weekend. Solution: Sand the rim lightly with 80 grid sandpaper and use 5x hold hair spray for hold. That actually works. Next step is Ferrari challenge takeoffs slick. They are friction of the cost of R7 and last as long and offer way better level of grip. Unfortunately the sizes are the compromise
Old 07-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
I purchased the car with 1,800 miles and two tracks already. I then put on another 1,800 miles and an additional 4 track days. Tires were made in 2018 and for 1,800 miles of the car's life was in Texas.
Yup, those tires were tired and old, not good to base your impressions on. If I understand correctly, you yourself have had 4 track days total. Don't go buying track wheels and track tires, yet. For now, just go OEM PS2s or Dunlops. Learn tire management, move up the run groups, and enjoy the ride.

For whatever it's worth, I have been doing DE's since 2002, , probably several hundred days by now since I stopped counting, through several Porsches, varying wheels and tires tires. I use Dunlops on my GT3 on track and on road, until they cord. LOL..

Here's one perspective to ponder on. When you are ready to get wheels and track tires, you will also be ready to buy a trailer since those track tires will not tolerate 2 hour drives on the road to and from the track.

Last edited by Palting; 07-25-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:11 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond 9
I have been tracking my 19 GT3RS WP for some time now. Several events at several tracks. From Homestead to COTA. Here is my personal experience with tires. Cup2 are great for street car and some spirited laps on the track. They do not last under hard flat out track weekend.
Worse part is that they will give, loose grip with out any warning. Was very unpleasant experience at Homestead coming down back straightaway making left turn in to the infield at about 110.. Turned left but tires did not grip and car wen perfectly straight rite in to the infield. That set did have 4000 street miles and 3 days at Daytona. Was the original OEM set. They looked perfect with tones of tread wen they came off the wheels.
We no longer run Cup2s at any track day. We run APs with 10x19 and 12x19 Forgelines with 295/30/19 and 345/30/19 R7. The difference in performance is unbelievable. R7 are great tires. They will last 3-6 days depending on track conditions and your personal style of driving.
Unfortunately there is one problem with R7 that we been fighting. Tires will rotate on the rim with will totally trow the balancing off.
At VIR on the back straight and 150mph plus the vibration was ungodly, out last track weekend. Solution: Sand the rim lightly with 80 grid sandpaper and use 5x hold hair spray for hold. That actually works. Next step is Ferrari challenge takeoffs slick. They are friction of the cost of R7 and last as long and offer way better level of grip. Unfortunately the sizes are the compromise
Thanks for your insights.... very interesting
Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Yup, those tires were tired and old, not good to base your impressions on. If I understand correctly, you yourself have had 4 track days total. Don't go buying track wheels and track tires, yet. For now, just go OEM PS2s or Dunlops. Learn tire management, move up the run groups, and enjoy the ride.

For whatever it's worth, I have been doing DE's since 2002, , probably several hundred days by now since I stopped counting, through several Porsches, varying wheels and tires tires. I use Dunlops on my GT3 on track and on road, until they cord. LOL..

Here's one perspective to ponder on. When you are ready to get wheels and track tires, you will also be ready to buy a trailer since those track tires will not tolerate 2 hour drives on the road to and from the track.
Hi - Thanks for your suggestions. I have 12 days so far this year with many more planned. I was pretty much the fastest in my beginner groups and got moved up and now run Open class in most cases. I'm probably mid-pack at this point. I plan to continue lots of events so that's why I'm thining getting 19's and some alternates to CUP's. Then probably son I'll do the trailer and slicks thing
Old 07-26-2021, 12:06 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting

Are you using the Dunlops Sport Maxx R's and you are noticing they hold up better than Cup2"s and don't heat cycle out as fast?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

With any track oriented tire, your need to be thinking in terms of heat cycles (aka runs) and not days. Even street tires will slow down after 30 heat cycles. You need to decide if you want cornering speed or longevity. The Cup2s are a really good compromise tire, if you get some that wears longer it’s gonna be slower.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:22 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
Are you using the Dunlops Sport Maxx R's and you are noticing they hold up better than Cup2"s and don't heat cycle out as fast?
Yes, Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2 N1, the OEM tires. They hold their grip over more heat cycles than Cup2s, and they are also more forgiving of higher temps/pressures. They also wear more evenly. Both tires do give a lot of warning when they are close to the limit, unlike slicks and true race tires that suddenly fall off a cliff, so they are a good choice for early track rats.

One more thing. You drive to your events. That is a heat cycle in itself.

Last edited by Palting; 07-27-2021 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palting:
CDinSing (07-27-2021), HydroLogic (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I never got 4 track days out of a Michelin, N2 is better but can only come close to the Dunlops.

Dunlops I could make 4 days on, the hotter it is, the bigger the delta is Dunlop holding up better then MPSC2 N2. Michelin’s fall of the cliff on lap 6 the Dunlop needs an extra lap first session to get heat in them. Dunlop better in wet also. Dunlops don’t feel ask crisp, then let go, Dunlops let go more gradually. So some don’t like the feel of Dunlop. SC acts accordingly so if you use, adjust to it.

Friends don’t let friends run Hoosier, I’ve never had a set where one or more didn’t fail before day 4 and totaled a car when a few sets of Hoosiers had thread separation from the tire wall. Just don’t do it.
The following 4 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
CDinSing (07-27-2021), HydroLogic (07-27-2021), kart driver (08-07-2021), RDCR (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Indeed. Walking around the infield to see who has Hoosiers is one of the first things I do….
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I never got 4 track days out of a Michelin, N2 is better but can only come close to the Dunlops.

Dunlops I could make 4 days on, the hotter it is, the bigger the delta is Dunlop holding up better then MPSC2 N2. Michelin’s fall of the cliff on lap 6 the Dunlop needs an extra lap first session to get heat in them. Dunlop better in wet also. Dunlops don’t feel ask crisp, then let go, Dunlops let go more gradually. So some don’t like the feel of Dunlop. SC acts accordingly so if you use, adjust to it.

Friends don’t let friends run Hoosier, I’ve never had a set where one or more didn’t fail before day 4 and totaled a car when a few sets of Hoosiers had thread separation from the tire wall. Just don’t do it.
ok great.. think I might try Dunlops next. What other brand for slicks if not Hoosier?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:53 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Have you maxed the time out on the tire or just looking for longevity?
Old 07-27-2021, 06:39 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sword_of_the_Spirit
Have you maxed the time out on the tire or just looking for longevity?
both!
Old 07-27-2021, 10:58 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Nankang ar-1 have been awesome for me. Much better grip and decent longevity.
The following users liked this post:
TRAKCAR (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Huh? Almost the entire field at every major race that requires DOT tires is on Hoosiers. They are still the standard by which every other DOT race tire is judged. And its been that way for literally 15 years. Your experience is definitely not the norm.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^^ Yes and they have nothing but problems for 15 years.
light race cars OK, GT3 tires too big and the car is too heavy for Hoosier garbage.

Run good slicks (Even when I buy them USED) the last better and are faster then R7.
But heavy fast modern GT cars driven to the track and back are much safer on good quality tires.

And you don’t have to Drive around with vibration that will shake the fenders off your car after 5 laps…

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-28-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track