Sponsored by:

Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 02:03 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable;[url=tel:17566091
17566091]info regarding 5 lug conversion: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...onversion.html
That’s for 997 centerlocks.

There is no wheel bearing/5 lug spindle suitable to swap out the 991 GT centerlocks . Sizes are totally different.

Last edited by Wind911; 07-23-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
That’s for 997 centerlocks.

There is no wheel bearing/5 lug spindle suitable to swap out the 991 GT centerlocks . Sizes are totally different.
I *know* I was just trying to help with general information - but every f**ker is a critic, I guess I can't please all of the people all of the time...
Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

wow having a bad day are you?
OP is saying he is going to ask his shop to look into 5 lug conversion. I am also providing Information to him and anyone looking to do the same.

Last edited by Wind911; 07-23-2021 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HydroLogic (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:32 PM
Captscrub
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about longevity of R7s compared to Cup2s? My spare wheels are 20s
Old 07-23-2021, 09:58 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

I’m actually impressed with the Cup 2’s.

If performance tires wear out and/or fall off prematurely, it’s not necessarily due to poor design, it can also be due to poor tire management.

Every driver has their own style, but some drivers are easier on a set of tires and some drivers are harder on the same exact set of tires. What drivers need to understand, is that a lot of self-induced damage can be done to their tires when they choose to over-drive in long duration high lateral G corners and over-slip the tires. In order to reduce wear and keep their tires from falling off, drivers need to back off just enough to get consistently good grip and consistently good speed while minimizing damage. That takes discipline and practice.

Sometimes it's necessary to push a car 10/10ths, but it's not on every lap. Drivers simply can’t keep going for a new track record on every lap, especially on street tires like Cup 2’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by Outlaw 06:
Apex Ace (07-23-2021), hlee1169 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:32 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
I’m actually impressed with the Cup 2’s.

If performance tires wear out and/or fall off prematurely, it’s not necessarily due to poor design, it can also be due to poor tire management.

Every driver has their own style, but some drivers are easier on a set of tires and some drivers are harder on the same exact set of tires. What drivers need to understand, is that a lot of self-induced damage can be done to their tires when they choose to over-drive in long duration high lateral G corners and over-slip the tires. In order to reduce wear and keep their tires from falling off, drivers need to back off just enough to get consistently good grip and consistently good speed while minimizing damage. That takes discipline and practice.

Sometimes it's necessary to push a car 10/10ths, but it's not on every lap. Drivers simply can’t keep going for a new track record on every lap, especially on street tires like Cup 2’s.
All very good points. I'm pretty new to the track but am hooked and will end up with at least 20 days this year. If I get 6 solid days without the tires falling off the ledge after 3 or 4 days I'm happy with that. I'm going for some 19" Forgeline VX1R's with Goodyear F1 3R tires. I'll see how those go. Lots of other rubber choices if these aren't better than cup2's. I've heard from too many people with bad experiences with Cup2's falling off...
Old 07-23-2021, 10:59 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroLogic
All very good points. I'm pretty new to the track but am hooked and will end up with at least 20 days this year. If I get 6 solid days without the tires falling off the ledge after 3 or 4 days I'm happy with that. I'm going for some 19" Forgeline VX1R's with Goodyear F1 3R tires. I'll see how those go. Lots of other rubber choices if these aren't better than cup2's. I've heard from too many people with bad experiences with Cup2's falling off...
The F1 3R is available in stock sizing. My experience with Cup2s and Dunlops is that they both are quick on the first weekend but fade and for Cup2s hold some consistency where my sport Maxx race 2 tires were more more like 2Rs, heroes for the first day but OK after that. At then end of the day street tires are street tires. If you want to put a lot of heat cycles and have more grip the only choice is some form of slick. So realistically: 19” wheels, slicks, solid bushings, and realistically upgraded brakes.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:46 AM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I was out there yesterday as well - good day with a fast group. If you are running consistently in the 1:30s I think most will tell you it's great you could get even 5 track days out of cup 2's. I'm running the new Dunlop sport maxx R's currently but I don't think they are any better then cup 2s from a longevity standpoint. I wish we could get RE71Rs or NT01s in 20/21" OEM sizes. at least they would save some $.
+1 NT01s ftw. I used to track them a lot with my M3. Also R888s.

Last edited by LAPorsche3; 07-24-2021 at 12:54 AM.
HydroLogic (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 12:52 AM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's good! Reminded me when I was new to track.

You have to think Cup 2 as a streetable track tire too. I assume you drive to/from the track? Gotta count those miles picking up crap on the highway etc. It's the convenience that's baked into owning these tires. I used to swap wheel/tires at the track just to maximize the tread life. That was a bit exhausting. No more.

Last edited by LAPorsche3; 07-24-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:21 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
The F1 3R is available in stock sizing. My experience with Cup2s and Dunlops is that they both are quick on the first weekend but fade and for Cup2s hold some consistency where my sport Maxx race 2 tires were more more like 2Rs, heroes for the first day but OK after that. At then end of the day street tires are street tires. If you want to put a lot of heat cycles and have more grip the only choice is some form of slick. So realistically: 19” wheels, slicks, solid bushings, and realistically upgraded brakes.
I'm starting to see that. Already swapped PCCB's for AP Steels and got a track alignment... next step is 19's and slicks... but then I need a trailer
Old 07-24-2021, 01:23 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAPorsche3
That's good! Reminded me when I was new to track.

You have to think Cup 2 as a streetable track tire too. I assume you drive to/from the track? Gotta count those miles picking up crap on the highway etc. It's the convenience that's baked into owning these tires. I used to swap wheel/tires at the track just to maximize the tread life. That was a bit exhausting. No more.
yep.. I drive to and fro... Laguna is 1 hour, Sonoma is 2 hours and Thunderhill is 3 hours...one way.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:46 AM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
I searched and don't see the Goodyear in stock 991.2 GT3RS sizes....
Old 07-24-2021, 03:00 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I searched and don't see the Goodyear in stock 991.2 GT3RS sizes....
My bad. I was thinking 3 not 3RS sizing.
HydroLogic (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

New to the track? If you are not getting 6-9 decent days on Cup 2s as a novice/intermediate driver, something is off. Looking back on your first post, your Cup2 experience is limited to the original tires that had already seen over 3,000 miles before you took it on track. Before you go spending $$$s on wheel and tire upgrades based on that experience, I suggest you stay with your current wheels, get some OEM Dunlops or even OEM PS2's, have your alignment checked and made more track ready, and pay close attention to tire pressures and temps on the track. As a novice or even intermediate driver, I seriously doubt you are going to notice the drop in traction with the new tires that you noticed with the old exhausted tires.
LAPorsche3 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:20 PM
HydroLogic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
New to the track? If you are not getting 6-9 decent days on Cup 2s as a novice/intermediate driver, something is off. Looking back on your first post, your Cup2 experience is limited to the original tires that had already seen over 3,000 miles before you took it on track. Before you go spending $$$s on wheel and tire upgrades based on that experience, I suggest you stay with your current wheels, get some OEM Dunlops or even OEM PS2's, have your alignment checked and made more track ready, and pay close attention to tire pressures and temps on the track. As a novice or even intermediate driver, I seriously doubt you are going to notice the drop in traction with the new tires that you noticed with the old exhausted tires.
I purchased the car with 1,800 miles and two tracks already. I then put on another 1,800 miles and an additional 4 track days. Tires were made in 2018 and for 1,800 miles of the car's life was in Texas.

Quick Reply: Cup 2's performance falls off way to fast on track