Sponsored by:

Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020 | 11:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Just buy an extended warranty. No big deal
Yup! Everyone raves about a guy Michael Jourdan (different Jordan....) at Mossy Motors. He sells Fidelity. 3-Pedals can PM me if he wants the direct email address.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
LexVan,

thank you. As part of the deal, there is a trade involved and the CMC salesguy wants the truck bringing RS to pickup the trade. He is also covering shipping both ways which makes his deal attractive.

What is interesting is a local porsche dealer decided to lower his price multiple times almost matching this car (they used to be $10,000 apart). Now I need to decide whether $1000-2000 is worth doing this vs local (but local car has twice the miles 1900 vs 3600). I m hoping to make a decision today.
Understand. Offer stands if needed. Also carefully research insurance and liability regarding car shipping. You don't want any surprises after the fact. Lots of stories here.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If I were him- I would drive the 11 hours back to NJ during the late night with my radar detector. Be like his own Cannonball run . If he does that i may think about joining him and spend a week seeing some friends and family who have been holed up in their homes. I bet we can make it there in record time
I'm in, Jimmy. I'll get Arne to go with us (the famous November Cannonball champ) too.
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:16 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

LexVan,

thank you. As part of the deal, there is a trade involved and the CMC salesguy wants the truck bringing RS to pickup the trade. He is also covering shipping both ways which makes his deal attractive.

What is interesting is a local porsche dealer decided to lower his price multiple times almost matching this car (they used to be $10,000 apart). Now I need to decide whether $1000-2000 is worth doing this vs local (but local car has twice the miles 1900 vs 3600). I m hoping to make a decision today.
If you have a local Dealer that will match the price and trade for a car as desirable as the Chicago car- you would be crazy not to do it. 3600 miles is nothing. Also - that local dealer could CPO the car eve if it costs you and additional $3500.

Seems like a no-Brainer not to buy locally.
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:18 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

LexVan,

I would almost always buy a local car over a distant car if the cars are more or less equal. If you have a problem...

Regarding the mileage, do you plan to drive the car? Low mileage isn’t always a good thing for these cars.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Mike Murphy, you in with Jimmy, Arne, and me??
Old 05-21-2020 | 11:37 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
3-Pedals, if you buy it, who is going to do the shipping? FYI, we have some good shipping contacts on Rennlist like Jim from InterCity. If you need a place to keep it, prior to shipping, you are welcome to store in my garage until arrangements are made.
I always enjoy the return drive home from buying a car - great way to get acquainted and make memories too.
These cars are an occasion
Old 05-21-2020 | 12:57 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mike Murphy, you in with Jimmy, Arne, and me??
In? In what? Is there some Chicago-area meet up happening?
Old 05-21-2020 | 01:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Nice work Jimmy..

Good luck 3-pedals. Very exciting and i am sure this will be a fun car, low-risk and a good deal. You did your due diligence.

Porsche dealers are often selling to uninformed buyers with lots of $$, So they tell them what they want to hear. Back in the 90's i bought a used SL500 1 year old from a MB dealership. I was clueless. I went and drove it round the block. It was sexy and i just bought it. Traded in my 964 too. They saw me coming. 2 months later i was like wtf did i do. I also bought an M3 E46 in 2000 and paid a $7K ADM to get the #2 slot. Idiot. Point being - on this forum we ask questions, we know stuff, we have friends that can give us advice on price and what to look out for. There are plenty of people out there that are like I was 15 years ago - clueless and the sales person will sell them. Maybe less people now with the market conditions being tough. I hope that i have become smarter with age, so i dont "waste" as much money as I did when i was younger. For example, I got a great deal on my brand new 2009 Carrera S - when the world was coming to an end back then. Now is a good time to buy.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:15 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I bought my GT3RS from Napleton Westmont last July and they did a PPI for me. I was really happy with the people I worked with there.
+1 on Napleton, bought from them back in 2009, sight unseen, beautiful and great car. dealt w/sale mgr but hs has moved on to their Aston dealership
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:23 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Called Barrington 4 times:

- The person hangs up during transferring
- Person transfers me to a fax machine
- Person transfers me back and forth between two people both saying they are the wrong person
- I’m on hold for 20 minutes

lol

I will try Westmont if this last time it doesnt work out
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:24 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

LexVan,

Wait, you're actually considering buying a non-local car to save under $2k and 1700 miles. That strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:28 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Wait, you're actually considering buying a non-local car to save under $2k and 1700 miles. That strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.
The local car here isnt really in "great" condition. It has sat outside almost 4 months, it has everything from bird poop etchings to rock chips, scratches on the doorsill and scuff marks on the seats. So it's not really a fair comparison.

One thing I dont like about Porsche dealers is they keep these GT cars outside for weeks/months (at least in NJ they do). Those cars are subject to hail and everything that comes with being outside.
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:36 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

The local car here isnt really in "great" condition. It has sat outside almost 4 months, it has everything from bird poop etchings to rock chips, scratches on the doorsill and scuff marks on the seats. So it's not really a fair comparison.

One thing I dont like about Porsche dealers is they keep these GT cars outside for weeks/months (at least in NJ they do). Those cars are subject to hail and everything that comes with being outside.
Ah, I see. Was picturing two identical-ish cars.
Old 05-21-2020 | 02:37 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

So Barrington cant do PPI for 2+ weeks. Napleton/Westmont no longer does PPIs. And there is nowhere else that can do the PPI that CMC agrees to flatbed the car to without me paying $300-500 extra for flatbed on top of PPI
Old 05-21-2020 | 03:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

So Barrington cant do PPI for 2+ weeks. Napleton/Westmont no longer does PPIs. And there is nowhere else that can do the PPI that CMC agrees to flatbed the car to without me paying $300-500 extra for flatbed on top of PPI
Fischer Motors an option?
Old 05-21-2020 | 03:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Call the Porsche Exchange in Highland Park.

It is about an hour away. I buy and service my Porsches there.

Good guys.

Quick Reply: Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?