Sponsored by:

No Lift Shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
By software you mean your brain right? The fix is to change how you shift, or just use the blip button. You can't manually blip before you leave the gate. You're welcome to ping Porsche and ask them to fix it
As you've now seen from several reports on here, Porsche clearly made the no-lift shift engagement parameters more aggressive with a certain ECU revision.
You have members that have had their GT3s for 5k+ miles, took it in for service, then were surprised by this 'feature' later on, two of which reported finding that out on track just in the last week or two on these forums.
My guess is this new ECU revision required a lower throttle percentage in order to engage NLS. It would be a super easy fix -- only engage NLS when throttle is depressed >90% of the way. If you're throttle is depressed >90% and you press the clutch in at the same time, chances are the user is looking to No Lift UpShift.
If throttle is depressed 50% or so, then they're likely trying to blip the throttle, afterall, what would be the purpose of saving milliseconds on the upshift while leaving throttle 50% depressed?

Or just tie all NLS behavior to the Sport button. I've read enough posts of people upset with this 'feature' on here that it really should be addressed one way or another. If anyone has a link/contact to submit an official bug report to Porsche, I would gladly write up a clear request.
The following users liked this post:
NevB (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
I've read enough posts of people upset with this 'feature' on here that it really should be addressed one way or another. If anyone has a link/contact to submit an official bug report to Porsche, I would gladly write up a clear request.
It's actually the other way, the majority of users with the MT as using the auto-blip function on downshift and don't see the problem at all, they computer does it better than any of us. Of the people that manually heal-toe only a smaller fraction of them do it the way you and a handful of others do (blip while in the original gear or blip before you're in the gate of the lower gear).

I'm not aware of any process to raise a bug w/ Porsche but, you should formally call them, or use their contact page and put it in writing to your dealers service department. Let them collate the feedback and make a call.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

It's actually the other way, the majority of users with the MT as using the auto-blip function on downshift and don't see the problem at all, they computer does it better than any of us.
Reading that legitimately made me cringe.
People buy a car supposedly designed for driver engagement............ then let a computer engage for them.
Shame!

Your poll also proved most people like to do it my way too, not the other way around. I.e. blip while the lever is in motion, not wait til it's landed in the lower gear to then start blipping.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 PM
iphilips
Racer

10 vs 9 for shift n blip and blip n shift. So it's even for the people that replied.

I'd argue that Porsche probably knows more about the best ways of shifting in their cars which is why the shift n blip works on their GT manuals while the blip n shift doesn't work as well.

As already discussed at length if you want to manually blip you have to shift and then blip. Until Porsche changes that you're shifting incorrectly for this car.

I'm just glad they still make and will make an MT. If that means a handful of guys on RL are unhappy then so be it, can't please them all.

Maybe one of the after market vendors can build a module that controls the functionality and makes it work like you want. A switch that turns off all the intelligence around the MT box and let's you drive as you wish.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Maybe one of the after market vendors can build a module that controls the functionality and makes it work like you want. A switch that turns off all the intelligence around the MT box and let's you drive as you wish.
I'd like that very much.
The following users liked this post:
iphilips (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 721 Posts

I can ask my tuner. He recently tuned my car. Removed the top speed limiter (now 207mph) don’t think I’ll be testing that. Also removed the 5k limit on launch control (tested that). Sport exhaust button now controls the valves. Also lastly threw a code in when I release the gas I get a burble. Sounds similar to a turbo tune.

I have been following this thread closely and now understand what some of you are experiencing. For me it’s only when you’re in between gates. If you’re in the previous or next gear it works just fine. I’ve always done so being in the lower gear, no issues. Other than that I just leave auto blip on. Works great imo.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jbravo23:
carbondan (09-11-2019), iphilips (09-11-2019), NevB (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
I can ask my tuner. He recently tuned my car. Removed the top speed limiter (now 207mph) don’t think I’ll be testing that. Also removed the 5k limit on launch control (tested that). Sport exhaust button now controls the valves. Also lastly threw a code in when I release the gas I get a burble. Sounds similar to a turbo tune.

I have been following this thread closely and now understand what some of you are experiencing. For me it’s only when you’re in between gates. If you’re in the previous or next gear it works just fine. I’ve always done so being in the lower gear, no issues. Other than that I just leave auto blip on. Works great imo.
Don’t think I would remove the 5k limit on Launch Control. Did you raise it a bit or eliminate it (9k)? 5k is there, because it’s fastest and won’t fry your clutch.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don’t think I would remove the 5k limit on Launch Control. Did you raise it a bit or eliminate it (9k)? 5k is there, because it’s fastest and won’t fry your clutch.

Raised to 6500. I’ve yet to launch the car. I don’t plan to tbh. He changed it just to change it and I didn’t mind.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Did you say you guy who tuned your car was able to add or remove an overrun burble?? This is news, the more well-known tuners like Cobb has said publicly that this "pops and bangs" type setting couldn't be touched.. but your guys are able to change this?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

duplicate
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think Aston-Martin was the first to have No-Lift Shift with their 7-speed Dog-leg box. Nissan was the first with the Auto Rev-Match downshift with their 370Z...
Pretty sure it was Subaru and ECUTEK . Known as flat foot shifting developed a long time ago certainly seen in it cars nearly 20 yrs old.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Did you say you guy who tuned your car was able to add or remove an overrun burble?? This is news, the more well-known tuners like Cobb has said publicly that this "pops and bangs" type setting couldn't be touched.. but your guys are able to change this?
Yes, he added the burble. No matter the gear I’m in once I release the gas I get pops and burbles. More so when the sport exhaust button is pressed which he used to open or close the valves. I only have a GMG center and it’s pretty loud when I release the gas around 3500rpms and higher. Very similar to my tuned M4 that I had. May not be for everyone but I love it. I know I’ll be changing exhaust in the future I can only imagine what it will sound like with headers and lets say jcr race pipes.

Also went in and baseline runs were 454 whp after tune 481 whp. He’s a great tuner and knows these cars well. Has had a .2 gt3 for over a year and a turbo. He’s tried just about everything to them. He just hadn’t done a manual gt3 until mine.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM
LakeShow
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, he added the burble. No matter the gear I’m in once I release the gas I get pops and burbles. More so when the sport exhaust button is pressed which he used to open or close the valves. I only have a GMG center and it’s pretty loud when I release the gas around 3500rpms and higher. Very similar to my tuned M4 that I had. May not be for everyone but I love it. I know I’ll be changing exhaust in the future I can only imagine what it will sound like with headers and lets say jcr race pipes.

Also went in and baseline runs were 454 whp after tune 481 whp. He’s a great tuner and knows these cars well. Has had a .2 gt3 for over a year and a turbo. He’s tried just about everything to them. He just hadn’t done a manual gt3 until mine.
Who is your tuner?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM
iphilips
Racer

This tuner is about to get a lot of business I suspect Hope they are ready.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

https://www.instagram.com/brentuning/?hl=en

https://brentuning.com/

ask for Brendan. I’m sure he’ll answer any questions.

Quick Reply: No Lift Shift