Sponsored by:

No Lift Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I was going to get those adjustable height ones from Rennline but the rev match function works and sounds so good, I'm not going to bother w/ heel and toe anymore.
I could not imagine life w/o rev matching now. I think it is a great invention
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I appreciate it too on some occasions, but no reason not to make things comfortable enough in the cabin to retain both options. Love the flexibility this gearbox offers.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I appreciate it too on some occasions, but no reason not to make things comfortable enough in the cabin to retain both options. Love the flexibility this software offers.
Fixed it for you
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
+1. Its the next best thing to a GT car LWFW, which I'd still like to experience at some point.

As a side note, it is too easy to get in the habit of no-lift shifting without thinking about it. In particular, those first moments driving a manual without it. Expect a few moments of WTF if you forget to adjust like I did.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:12 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 80p
+1. Its the next best thing to a GT car LWFW, which I'd still like to experience at some point.

As a side note, it is too easy to get in the habit of no-lift shifting without thinking about it. In particular, those first moments driving a manual without it. Expect a few moments of WTF if you forget to adjust like I did.
Complete opposite for me. I can't seem to force myself to keep the throttle buried while shifting. Just feels so foreign. I just drive the car like any other manual.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTopTenn (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:24 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Complete opposite for me. I can't seem to force myself to keep the throttle buried while shifting. Just feels so foreign. I just drive the car like any other manual.
Me too. I constantly have to remind myself that NLS is there...
Old 08-30-2019, 02:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah, it feels very unnatural but pretty cool once you get used to it. Also interesting that it works at any throttle setting (even 10% for instance), as long as you don't move your right foot during the shifting sequence. Most exciting at redline with foot to floor though. Seems like it could be abusive, but it is actually totally seamless and without stress to the hardware.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you guys get a farty noise when you NLS? I hear it very pronounced on the track reverberating against the walls. You can hear in the video at 2:00. It was kind of startling at first. Hopefully that's normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOw6...youtu.be&t=120
Old 08-31-2019, 01:52 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascetic
Do you guys get a farty noise when you NLS? I hear it very pronounced on the track reverberating against the walls. You can hear in the video at 2:00. It was kind of startling at first. Hopefully that's normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOw6...youtu.be&t=120
Mine sounds more like a crack/pop/bang. But I also have no side mufflers. I like it ... Sounds mean af
Old 08-31-2019, 11:14 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Which other manual trans Porsches have no lift shift besides the GT3? Any other car brands have this feature?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
Yes. Very annoying interventions.
For example, if you try to rev match a downshift while the lever is still in the higher gear or just nearing neutral (not yet into the gate of the lower gear) the car rev limits as it thinks you're trying to no-lift upshift. It's extremely annoying how it chokes the revving off.
Even if you're in gear, you put the clutch in and try to rev, it holds revs steady and doesn't rev freely.
I made a thread about it with videos.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t3-manual.html

Very very annoying that it can't be disabled. I honestly have no interest in no-lift shifting. It's fast and works fine but develops very bad habits and is just unnecessary. Certainly when it hampers heel-toe downshifting fun.
System works great for me. You can turn off auto rev matching if you want everything off and the car functions like every other manual. Also no lift shift sounds amazing with an aftermarket exhaust. It gives this pop when you shift, like a more exaggerated PDK shift.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:17 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
It’s your technique, not the car. And yes I’ve tried it all, including the 50 mph, 3rd gear thing. If you come off the gas completely before you push the clutch in (old school I know), the car revs freely. I have no issues with heel toe and no issues with the no lift shift. It all works fine.
+1
Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM
jjrho
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
Your statement exactly confirms what I'm saying.
My car does NOT rev freely in that circumstance. Driving 50 mph, 3rd gear, foot all the way off the gas, clutch in, (not touching gear lever, still in 3rd) hit the gas and the car falls flat on its face. Revs are limited like 200 RPM over the current RPM.

Watch this video and tell me you're thrilled about this result (watch with audio)
https://streamable.com/blnd9

I'm doing exactly as you describe above.
On the third attempt in the video I have to stab and release the throttle 3 times before it gets the idea I want to rev freely and that I'm not trying to no-lift upshift.
Super annoying. I'm learning to live/work around it but it's a feature that we should be able to disable.
And people asking why rev 'early' when downshifting -- it's happening in one single fluid motion. It's not like I'm in a high gear, stab the thottle then sit and wait 5 seconds, then move to a lower gear and act surprised it doesn't work the way I want. It's all happening as one fluid motion in half a second or less. It artificially forces me to wait until I'm already into the lower gear before I'm allowed to bring the revs up and then I can release the clutch. Whereas without this intervention I would have already been ready to get off the clutch at that point.

I'm convinced there were different revisions for the coding at this point. Some people report far too intrusive limiting behavior and others have no issue at all.
man, that's the same thing I've been bitching about...so,i'm not the only one with this issue....
I try to heel toe and the damn thing revs up <300 or so from where I am...im like...wtf...I gotta reblip the throttle and some times it still won't rev up to where it needs to be....super annoying.... they need to fix this software....

james R
991.2 gt3 manual , Miami blue
so.cal
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jjrho
man, that's the same thing I've been bitching about...so,i'm not the only one with this issue....
I try to heel toe and the damn thing revs up <300 or so from where I am...im like...wtf...I gotta reblip the throttle and some times it still won't rev up to where it needs to be....super annoying.... they need to fix this software....

james R
991.2 gt3 manual , Miami blue
so.cal
By software you mean your brain right? The fix is to change how you shift, or just use the blip button. You can't manually blip before you leave the gate. You're welcome to ping Porsche and ask them to fix it
Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
Which other manual trans Porsches have no lift shift besides the GT3? Any other car brands have this feature?
I think Aston-Martin was the first to have No-Lift Shift with their 7-speed Dog-leg box. Nissan was the first with the Auto Rev-Match downshift with their 370Z...

Quick Reply: No Lift Shift