Sponsored by:

No Lift Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If you press the throttle at all during an automatic rev matching downshift, it defers to the driver and doesn’t blip by itself. Is it possible that the driver could be responsible for the jerky downshift?
Same experience here. If I take over while auto-blip is pressed it shifts and revs matches like a normal transmission. I like the fact that you can seamlessly intervene if you want to. Like if I don't want to do a loud downshift I can slowly match revs and finesse the shift (say next to CHP or local PD)

Last edited by iphilips; 08-27-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
Yes. Very annoying interventions.
For example, if you try to rev match a downshift while the lever is still in the higher gear or just nearing neutral (not yet into the gate of the lower gear) the car rev limits as it thinks you're trying to no-lift upshift. It's extremely annoying how it chokes the revving off.
Even if you're in gear, you put the clutch in and try to rev, it holds revs steady and doesn't rev freely.
I made a thread about it with videos.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t3-manual.html

Very very annoying that it can't be disabled. I honestly have no interest in no-lift shifting. It's fast and works fine but develops very bad habits and is just unnecessary. Certainly when it hampers heel-toe downshifting fun.
Agreed!

Rev matching and NLS is always on, regardless of the Sport button which merely enables auto-blip. For around town driving, auto rev matching and NLS can make for a very smooth and refined drive, but for spirited heel-toe its annoying; sometimes it interferes with your blipping, and when you shift perfectly you have no idea if it was you or the electronics.

In the latest issue of 000, Pete Stout talks with Andreas Preuninger about the electronic throttle in the Speedster, and there was some talk about emissions targets affecting the behavior. Even Andreas couldn't get the programming changed when it annoyed him!
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 PM
iphilips
Racer

Why are people blipping while still in the higher gear? Why not blip as you release the clutch?

The point of the blip is to keep revs matched and the only time that matters is when the clutch goes back out. So you want your blip to happen as close as possible in time to the clutch reengaging.

To confirm.. are people doing this?

Option A
1. Take foot of gas.. press brake
2. Clutch in
3. Blip
4. Shift to lower gear.
5. Clutch out

Or... This

Option B
1. Take foot off gas.. press brake
2. Clutch in
3. Shift to lower gear
4. Release clutch and blip

For B here is a good tutorial https://driver61.com/resources/how-to-heel-and-toe/
Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by NevB
Agreed!

Rev matching and NLS is always on, regardless of the Sport button which merely enables auto-blip.
How is "rev matching" different from "auto-blip"?
Rev matching is NOT always on.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by iphilips
Why are people blipping while still in the higher gear? Why not blip as you release the clutch?

The point of the blip is to keep revs matched and the only time that matters is when the clutch goes back out. So you want your blip to happen as close as possible in time to the clutch reengaging.

To confirm.. are people doing this?

Option A
1. Take foot of gas.. press brake
2. Clutch in
3. Blip
4. Shift to lower gear.
5. Clutch out

Or... This

Option B
1. Take foot off gas.. press brake
2. Clutch in
3. Shift to lower gear
4. Release clutch and blip
Exactly.
It's a technique problem. Not a car problem.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
If you're travelling at say 50 mph in 3rd gear, you push the clutch in and try to rev. Does yours rev freely or does it rev limit?
It’s your technique, not the car. And yes I’ve tried it all, including the 50 mph, 3rd gear thing. If you come off the gas completely before you push the clutch in (old school I know), the car revs freely. I have no issues with heel toe and no issues with the no lift shift. It all works fine.
erik_plus8 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 PM
NevB
Instructor

Deleted
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Great video. I no lift shift 100% of the time. I’m close to 5K miles and you can tell when you start to depress the clutch it almost holds the revs waiting for you to shift. It’s a game to see how quick I can shift but doing it with the clutch and pulling the shifter. Late in the video he mentions that every once in awhile on an upshift that is in the 7K Range, it makes a ridiculous backfire type sound. I know exactly what he’s referring to and it makes me laugh. I race my 996 Cup car and it obviously has non of these features so I’m perfectly OK with these features on the street. It’s so engaging. They did a great job on this manual.
RockyTopTenn (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:22 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Autoblip is rev matching plus extra revs.

Rev matching is always on and matches both downshift and upshift.
Are you trolling or do cars work differently in the land down under?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:38 PM
NevB
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
LOL. Actually I'm walking away from this discussion.

Its clear to me that different people have different experiences with their 6MT GT3s, and I'm not trying to change that.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Lol, I'm Aussie and it makes no sense to me. NevB could be a kiwi though 😂 can't vouch for that bunch.
The following 2 users liked this post by iphilips:
FourT6and2 (08-28-2019), RockyTopTenn (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:28 AM
NevB
Instructor

Originally Posted by iphilips
Lol, I'm Aussie and it makes no sense to me. NevB could be a kiwi though �� can't vouch for that bunch.
LOL. Ok, I'm back after a quick test drive to check my facts:

Try this next time you are out in your 6MT

Sport mode OFF

1) cruise along in 2nd say at 4000rpm with the throttle arrow showing light throttle
2) without lifting off the throttle, depress the clutch and change to 3rd, watching the revs drop to around 3000rpm. Do not lift off the clutch. Do not lift off the throttle
3) with the clutch still engaged, change from 3rd back to to 2nd and watch the revs return to 4000rpm, without adjusting the throttle
4) reengage 2nd smoothly.

The above works for me in many different scenarious - 3rd to 2nd and engage, 2nd to 3rd and engage, 3-2-3, 2-3-2 etc

It mucks up if I take a little too long or a little too quick or the throttle arrow disappears. But with a little practice at timing its very smooth and easy.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Is it possible that the driver could be responsible for the jerky downshift?
Abso-freakin-lutely! It's when I have a momentary lapse and forget that the computer is doing the thinking and tap the gas that I mess up the perfection. I've been driving sticks almost daily since 1984. This is the first that rev matches for me...
Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 AM
NevB
Instructor

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Abso-freakin-lutely! It's when I have a momentary lapse and forget that the computer is doing the thinking and tap the gas that I mess up the perfection. I've been driving sticks almost daily since 1984. This is the first that rev matches for me...
Yep, agreed, its the driver!

BUT I'd still like to turn off rev matching and do it 100% manually like I do in my 987 Boxster S.
RockyTopTenn (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

LOL. Ok, I'm back after a quick test drive to check my facts:

Try this next time you are out in your 6MT

Sport mode OFF

1) cruise along in 2nd say at 4000rpm with the throttle arrow showing light throttle
2) without lifting off the throttle, depress the clutch and change to 3rd, watching the revs drop to around 3000rpm. Do not lift off the clutch. Do not lift off the throttle
3) with the clutch still engaged, change from 3rd back to to 2nd and watch the revs return to 4000rpm, without adjusting the throttle
4) reengage 2nd smoothly.

The above works for me in many different scenarious - 3rd to 2nd and engage, 2nd to 3rd and engage, 3-2-3, 2-3-2 etc

It mucks up if I take a little too long or a little too quick or the throttle arrow disappears. But with a little practice at timing its very smooth and easy.
I’m not sure I followed you completely, but the part about upshifting while continuing to hold light throttle is the No-Lift shift feature that works with or without Sport button. It works at any revs or throttle setting - the key is not to change the throttle position during the shifting process.

Quick Reply: No Lift Shift