991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a real job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,270 Likes on 2,437 Posts

Something I happened to read today:

"You work that you may keep peace with the earth and the soul of the earth. For to be idle is to become a stranger unto the seasons, and to step out of life's procession."

- Kahlil Gibran

If you generally like your job, I think this is a true statement.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:18 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

Ex Analytics Guy at a couple of Fortune 500 company's now a music exec. Life comes at you fast..
Old 09-28-2018, 11:29 PM
0-60 freak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I am lucky, I responded to tyler perry on facebook, he sent me 2m in a fed ex box!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:42 AM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ping me when you are ready to start IPO convo!

Originally Posted by higx
college drop out. hacker. tech guy. 40 CTO / co-founder 2 exits, one good, one great. demanding day job. 500+ employees, litigation always. next stop? i want to ring the opening bell on IPO day. I am without a doubt taking years off my life.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 AM
iczer34
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

so many humble RLers, let's keep it that way

short autobiography here...(if you care to read, it's quite personal and long)

I emigrated to the US when I was 3 mos. old. My parents worked long days and nights (16-18 hours a day) trying to attain the 'american dream.' My siblings and I grew up as latchkey kids ~ lots of tv and self-made meals. My parents scraped and saved enough to open a restaurant but after a couple of years it ultimately failed. They then ventured into the electronics manufacturing industry working the production line. The industry was booming in the late 80s and early 90s, which lead to many subcontracting opportunities ('garage operations'). They again scraped and saved to open their own EMS company. They bought equipment and hired up to 25 ppl. They were doing well, bought their first home and living the 'american dream.'

Meanwhile, I had just graduated with an accounting/finance degree from a local no-name university. Lived at home, paid rent and tuition as my parents' money was tied up in the business. It was a commuter school, so I worked as much as i studied. Got fortunate with internships at Apple, Intuit (chose it over Google!), and Ernst and Young. Made the most of my opportunities and also had many great mentors along the way. I was heavily recruited by all the big accounting firms, chose one and got paid well.

Then the economy collapsed in the early 2000s. I got a call from my parents. They were days away from their company filing bankruptcy. They were served lawsuits from equipment lessors. They couldn't make payroll. They were months behind on mortgage. Their american dream was fading.

I had a duty to the family, so i quit my job. I picked up the phones, called each and every lender, supplier, employee and the landlord. Restructured loans, created payment plans, borrowed money from friends/family (at high interest rates) just to make payroll. I was making commitments that I didn't know if i could keep. All i did was buy time.

I went through the customer address book and called/visited each and every one. I literally begged for business. We quoted jobs to break-even. Whatever jobs we got, the family and remaining employees worked hard. We maxed out our credit cards to support the business. Deeper and deeper in debt we got. I was getting paid $0 and collecting EDD to get by. This lasted for months and months. No breaks, no vacations. Every purchase order we received was like winning the lottery. The economy improved, customers began increasing their orders and referring us more business ~ they remembered our dedication. Our business grew, we started to become profitable. I made good on all of my commitments - loans were paid with interest...and i finally got a salary.

Today, we've grown the company many, many times over. My parents (close to retirement) still work the line. We have over 100 employees, many of them loyal since the dark times. I'll never forget their contributions.

I'm now the CEO. I make a decent living. I'm humble.

But there is one thing that irks me until this day. Those who don't know my story, thinks i've been put in this position due to nepotism. I don't correct them. I know my truth.

I appreciate every minute and every mile behind the wheel of my Porsche.

The following 3 users liked this post by iczer34:
kart driver (02-19-2021), msos (02-20-2021), Ufnavy06 (02-15-2024)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:02 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

That’s an awesome story, and “thank you” for sharing it. Some people are lucky, no doubt. Good for them. Others have worked theirs butts off, and some still do. One thing we all have in common is our appreciation of fine cars.

Enjoy what you have folks, life is short.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:05 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by iczer34

I emigrated to the US when I was 3 mos. old. My parents worked long days and nights (16-18 hours a day) trying to attain the 'american dream.' My siblings and I grew up as latchkey kids ~ lots of tv and self-made meals. My parents scraped and saved enough to open a restaurant but after a couple of years it ultimately failed. They then ventured into the electronics manufacturing industry working the production line. The industry was booming in the late 80s and early 90s, which lead to many subcontracting opportunities ('garage operations'). They again scraped and saved to open their own EMS company. They bought equipment and hired up to 25 ppl. They were doing well, bought their first home and living the 'american dream.'

Meanwhile, I had just graduated with an accounting/finance degree from a local no-name university. Lived at home, paid rent and tuition as my parents' money was tied up in the business. It was a commuter school, so I worked as much as i studied. Got fortunate with internships at Apple, Intuit (chose it over Google!), and Ernst and Young. Made the most of my opportunities and also had many great mentors along the way. I was heavily recruited by all the big accounting firms, chose one and got paid well.

Then the economy collapsed in the early 2000s. I got a call from my parents. They were days away from their company filing bankruptcy. They were served lawsuits from equipment lessors. They couldn't make payroll. They were months behind on mortgage. Their american dream was fading.

I had a duty to the family, so i quit my job. I picked up the phones, called each and every lender, supplier, employee and the landlord. Restructured loans, created payment plans, borrowed money from friends/family (at high interest rates) just to make payroll. I was making commitments that I didn't know if i could keep. All i did was buy time.

I went through the customer address book and called/visited each and every one. I literally begged for business. We quoted jobs to break-even. Whatever jobs we got, the family and remaining employees worked hard. We maxed out our credit cards to support the business. Deeper and deeper in debt we got. I was getting paid $0 and collecting EDD to get by. This lasted for months and months. No breaks, no vacations. Every purchase order we received was like winning the lottery. The economy improved, customers began increasing their orders and referring us more business ~ they remembered our dedication. Our business grew, we started to become profitable. I made good on all of my commitments - loans were paid with interest...and i finally got a salary.

Today, we've grown the company many, many times over. My parents (close to retirement) still work the line. We have over 100 employees, many of them loyal since the dark times. I'll never forget their contributions.

But there is one thing that irks me until this day. Those who don't know my story, thinks i've been put in this position due to nepotism. I don't correct them. I know my truth.

Cool story! What's the name of the company?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:17 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Originally Posted by Niez66
That’s an awesome story, and “thank you” for sharing it. Some people are lucky, no doubt. Good for them. Others have worked theirs butts off, and some still do. One thing we all have in common is our appreciation of fine cars.

Enjoy what you have folks, life is short.
thank you for taking the time to read it!

I’ve never shared that story publicly. Local business publications have asked but I’m not quite ready for that audience lol
Old 09-29-2018, 07:18 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Originally Posted by SToronto
Cool story! What's the name of the company?
thanks!

Last edited by iczer34; 12-07-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:55 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iczer34

fantastic story and really inspiring . I believe most of the entrepreneurs on this forum had their share of huge risks , extreme dedication and relentless pace against all odds , each in a different measure
Old 09-30-2018, 12:26 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts
Default my Good life

After yrs in corporate real estate segued into my own development company 20 yrs ago with my dad when he sold his business. Have 30 employees 3 keys that run day to day and over the last few yrs work 1-2 days a week with a lot of leisure travel. Thank you to my smart phone as portable office. At least 1 day per week is for me usually at the track on season as weekends are for family. No inheritance yet and in no rush as my 90 yr old mom is thankfully still above ground, active and healthy. On the way to fulfilling life goals of taking care of my family, having fun along the way, doing some good deeds and dying in obscurity.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:57 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ lots of great reading
My dad told me when I was 12 and had my first newspaper route...”The harder you work, the luckier you get”
That’s 50yrs ago and it’s still my ethos.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 AM
PokeJohn23
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing stories here. Congratulations to you men and your success.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (10-15-2020)
Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Mid 30s, advertising copywriter (freelance). Been doing that for 7+ years.
Although not my dream job, which would be as a unit stills photog on movie/TV sets. But it's "protected" by a union, so there's no real way to get in.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Former C-level executive in salon industry for last 20 years with manufacturers like Redken, Wella, Proctor and Gamble, Helene Curtis, Kao Brands, Nioxin..........retired on my own accord at 52 for 3 months and at 55 for 4 years........ and now retired for real.....65 this year.........corporate route was great.......also earned some equity three times, without owning a business and the 24/7 worries.......and I definitely enjoyed my car allowances I was able to set and the expense accounts/travel free of charge........) happy and healthy.......
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Do you have a real job?