Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wutpdk
I noticed my Manuel 2019 gt3 has a oil leak and bringing the car in Wed to the dealer. I noticed it when I was installing my SW Center by pass. A decent amount of the diffuser
I still went forward with the install. The Dealer shouldn't blame anything for a center muffler delete right? I dont see Porsche dealer making a big deal about Center muffler delete but I thought I ask
My dealer installs after market exhausts and other goodies. They know people like to have fun with these cars, so they don't care about a center bypass. Has nothing to do with oil leaking. You should be just fine!
The following users liked this post:
wutpdk (07-30-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
I also had a tiny leak. In my case the dealer replaced parts 1, 2, 3 and 5.

Just adding another data point. Another car with 30K miles with the same leak coming off the oil line to the crank.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:54 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Changed my oil and filter today and discovered I have the same leak as discussed on this thread....
Car has just 5k miles, but looks like it's been leaking a while.

*edit*
Dealer inspected and confirmed the leak in late October. They will order and install required parts under warranty after it's winter hibernation.
Confirmed- no warranty issues with my car's SW bypass.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 01-19-2020 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsches (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Adding to this thread. Same issue found when I was about to change my oil.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Just picked my car up yesterday, general check 10k, they found the same oil leak. replaced the parts, must be common
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM
ilario
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

good evening to all my RS mk2 with opf 700km I found the same problem d loss of oil from the central pulley incredible Now and in assistance we see what they say. What did they do to you? is it worrying?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:07 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Resurrecting this thread - I have the same issue (991.2 GT3) with a small oil leak from the rear of the engine, with droplets forming on the crank pulley. It's not huge, and hasn't required adding oil, but after a very spirited drive you can see a couple drops of oil sitting on the rear diffuser. Dealer couldn't locate a source of the leak initially as it only appeared to be leaking under pressure (high RPM) - they documented it with photos, sprayed trace powder and told me to drive it for a while and bring back for re-evaluation. I'm scheduled to bring it in this week for a follow-up and was curious, for others who have had this problem, what was the fix? Has anyone located a source of the leak outside of the oil supply line? Any guidance would be much appreciated - dealer trip is a pretty long haul, so hoping to get this wrapped up this time around.

**As an update - upon disassembling to fix, it turned out to be the oil supply line that others have noted above**

Last edited by MBLocal; 04-11-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:36 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MBLocal
Resurrecting this thread - I have the same issue (991.2 GT3) with a small oil leak from the rear of the engine, with droplets forming on the crank pulley. It's not huge, and hasn't required adding oil, but after a very spirited drive you can see a couple drops of oil sitting on the rear diffuser. Dealer couldn't locate a source of the leak initially (I referenced this thread and they specifically mentioned it didn't appear to be the oil supply line) as it only appeared to be leaking under pressure (high RPM) - they documented it with photos, sprayed trace powder and told me to drive it for a while and bring back for re-evaluation. I'm scheduled to bring it in this week for a follow-up and was curious, for others who have had this problem, what was the fix? Has anyone located a source of the leak outside of the oil supply line? Any guidance would be much appreciated - dealer trip is a pretty long haul, so hoping to get this wrapped up this time around.

Hopefully your second trip to the dealer will be better than mine. I had the same leak as I stated in a previous post. When I took it in they could not find the source, so they put dye into the oil and told me to come back in 300 miles. I came back a couple weeks later and they say there is no leak found. Service advisor says to come back in 10k miles. I perform my oil change that weekend and when I remove the diffuser I of course still see the same droplet of oil from the pulley. Not sure how that isn't an oil leak but what can you do?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:03 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

My car has 5600 miles on it and is a year old. Was in for service and I had an oil leak as well. Ended up being valve covers leaking. Replaced gaskets and good to go. Was a mess to clean up though. Dealer did great.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 147 Posts

on my 991.2 3RS ,i found a drop of oil in the diffuser while putting on my exhaust @2000 miles , looked there and around the engine every 2K since then but everything is bone dry ! the car consumes a bit of oil though !
Old 04-11-2020, 07:31 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Originally Posted by s2kmunop
Hopefully your second trip to the dealer will be better than mine. I had the same leak as I stated in a previous post. When I took it in they could not find the source, so they put dye into the oil and told me to come back in 300 miles. I came back a couple weeks later and they say there is no leak found. Service advisor says to come back in 10k miles. I perform my oil change that weekend and when I remove the diffuser I of course still see the same droplet of oil from the pulley. Not sure how that isn't an oil leak but what can you do?
As an update on mine (2018 GT3): once they got in there, it turned out to be a leaking oil pipe, as noted in other posts. Requires a fair bit of disassembly to get in there (bumper off, air box, exhaust, AC compressor), and I'd suggest if you get this done that you pay to swap in a new serpentine belt at the same time since it has to come off anyway - it's an every 4 year inspection item and relatively inexpensive, but it requires a decent amount of labor to change by the book. Hope this is helpful to others who have had this issue.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by MBLocal
As an update on mine (2018 GT3): once they got in there, it turned out to be a leaking oil pipe, as noted in other posts. Requires a fair bit of disassembly to get in there (bumper off, air box, exhaust, AC compressor), and I'd suggest if you get this done that you pay to swap in a new serpentine belt at the same time since it has to come off anyway - it's an every 4 year inspection item and relatively inexpensive, but it requires a decent amount of labor to change by the book. Hope this is helpful to others who have had this issue.
Good time for air filters too...
Old 04-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

A replacement that will not leak, weighs much much less, but Is not inexpensive.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2020, 10:30 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

*Update referencing post #48 above:
Contacted my Porsche dealer yesterday and they are unable to perform repairs to stop the leak at this time. Deemed unessential service in the grand scheme of things until their service dept returns to near full strength. Completely understandable and certainly no pushback from me.

Question: Is there a consensus of opinion as to whether it safe to drive in this leaky condition?
Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM
MBLocal
Advanced

For what it's worth, when mine was first diagnosed it wasn't leaking enough (forming a large bead on oil line) to warrant a repair, so I was advised to drive it normally (read: hard) for a month or two and bring it back in. I ended up driving mine for over a year between when it was diagnosed and when it was repaired. Monitored oil level after every drive and never needed to add any oil, but would notice an extra couple drops on the diffuser after hard drives.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
*Update referencing post #48 above:
Contacted my Porsche dealer yesterday and they are unable to perform repairs to stop the leak at this time. Deemed unessential service in the grand scheme of things until their service dept returns to near full strength. Completely understandable and certainly no pushback from me.

Question: Is there a consensus of opinion as to whether it safe to drive in this leaky condition?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Leak