Sponsored by:

So many manual GT3's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:19 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The gearbox and the clutch are two different things. The best Porsche gearbox ever is the Carrera GT. The second best is the 997 4.0.

Clutch feel- 981 Spyder/ GT4 is really good, but 3.6RS might be best. R and new GT3 are too light to be best ever. 993GT2 might be best feel/ weight combo.
as someone who has 0 minutes in a 4.0RS and a 3.8RS....is there any differences in the gearboxes?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Plain and simple, Use it or Flip it.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:
Use or Flip it
Hilarious!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The thing that I really like about the PDK is how it allows you to drive the car. For example, I am coming into a turn hot, and can bang down the gears bam bam bam in a matter of a second or two. By the time one downshift is done in the manual the PDK can do 3. That just changes the character of how you drive it. The consistent shifts at exactly 9k RPM is another aspect. If I were doing that with the manual I would be too focused on the revs to actually get anywhere near 9k consistently. I get the desire to use the clutch, and the manual feels more old school and race car-ish, but the PDK just unlocks all the performance of the car. I personally could not give up that much performance just to say my car is more old school. I am not saying the next guy doesn't get all the performance out of the car, and maybe he can heel/toe awesome and not feel like he is giving up anything. I am not that guy.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,669 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
as someone who has 0 minutes in a 4.0RS and a 3.8RS....is there any differences in the gearboxes?
No. Clutch and PP were updated and used in 3.8RS as a continuation part.

Originally Posted by robmypro
The thing that I really like about the PDK is how it allows you to drive the car. For example, I am coming into a turn hot, and can bang down the gears bam bam bam in a matter of a second or two. By the time one downshift is done in the manual the PDK can do 3. That just changes the character of how you drive it. The consistent shifts at exactly 9k RPM is another aspect. If I were doing that with the manual I would be too focused on the revs to actually get anywhere near 9k consistently. I get the desire to use the clutch, and the manual feels more old school and race car-ish, but the PDK just unlocks all the performance of the car. I personally could not give up that much performance just to say my car is more old school. I am not saying the next guy doesn't get all the performance out of the car, and maybe he can heel/toe awesome and not feel like he is giving up anything. I am not that guy.
Plus so much power, taller gearing with only 6 speeds, you don't have to shift much on street driving anyway..

Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No. Clutch and PP were updated and used in 3.8RS as a continuation part.
cheers
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Name:  photo643.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  1.34 MB
Old 08-21-2018, 02:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

By the time one downshift is done in the manual the PDK can do 3. That just changes the character of how you drive it.
And conversely, if I want to downshift from 5th to 2nd I can do it with one downshift in the Manual (directly to 2nd) instead of 3 sequential PDK shifts.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:54 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Enough to give me pause for a pre-owned MT.

Overspeed events are stored in the DME control unit. The following values are also recorded:

* Number of ignition attempts in each overspeed range. => overspeed range = Defined rev ranges with classification of expected engine damage, e.g. engine damage possible, ... probable, ... very probable, engine damage has generally occurred; see section => 'Overspeed event range interpretation'.

* Status of the hourmeter during the last overspeed event => for technical reasons, overspeed events are entered in a preset time interval. As a result, there may be entries in a higher rev range while no entries are stored in the lower range.

Information

* Ignitions are 3 per revolution. Overspeed ignitions of two or less in a range may be considered an error (incomplete revolution).

* If overspeed entries are found and if the difference between the current hourmeter and the status when the last overspeed event was recorded is less than 50 operating hours, there is a high probability that the damage was caused by overspeed event(s).

* The value "50 operating hours" should be seen as a guide. The possibility of engine damage occurring much later due to previous overspeed event(s) cannot be ruled out.

* Overspeed events for PDK can be disregarded.

Overspeed event range interpretation

* Rev range 1: => Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.
* Rev range 2: => Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.
* Rev range 3: => Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.
* Rev range 4: => Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.
* Rev range 5: => Maximum permitted engine speed very clearly exceeded; engine damage very probable.
* Rev range 6: => Engine damage has generally occurred.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
And conversely, if I want to downshift from 5th to 2nd I can do it with one downshift in the Manual (directly to 2nd) instead of 3 sequential PDK shifts.
Definitely, Grant, but I would think that is a much harder proposition for the average driver to do anywhere near as quickly and safely as the PDK, especially considering the fear of over-revs. So hypothetically you are correct, but in reality I think the PDK is far quicker and safer for the vast majority of people. And this is something that just changes the character of the car for most drivers. Not all, and I know you are good with a manual. But for a guy who knows how to use a manual, but isn't super awesome at it, like me, who can't heel/toe like Senna, I think the GT3 is not going to provide the same experience.

This isn't a knock on the manual by any means. It is just going to take a lot more effort to get the same level of performance out of the car, and you drive the car differently, don't get as many 9k shifts, can't downshift as aggressively, etc. For the average Joe.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,669 Likes on 775 Posts

If I had talent, yes 5th to 2nd yes, but I usually go through all of them anyway.
As it stands now, not scared = throttle, scared = hanging on for dear life, brake pedal firmly rammed against the fire wall in full on desperation ABS while flippering the left pedal for the PDK to ram down a gear for more braking, while the SC keeps me out of the wall LOL.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

So hypothetically you are correct, but in reality I think the PDK is far quicker and safer for the vast majority of people.
No argument here - just having a little fun

Old 08-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If I had talent, yes 5th to 2nd yes, but I usually go through all of them anyway.
As it stands now, not scared = throttle, scared = hanging on for dear life, brake pedal firmly rammed against the fire wall in full on desperation ABS while flippering the left pedal for the PDK to ram down a gear for more braking, while the SC keeps me out of the wall LOL.
LOL. In the "scared" mode, I find that the PDK will downshift into a lower gear and higher rev brake range than I would even think do do manually. My little scared mind just cannot - will not conceive of downshiftting the car into the 7-9K rpm engine brake, while the PDK won't even think twice. By the time I think to flip the left paddle, PDK has already done it.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
No argument here - just having a little fun
I know buddy. Having said all that i would probably get a manual next time lol. But i know with my skill level, i would not be able to extract the performance i do now, or have the same experience. Not bad or good. Just different. I actually think being able to experience both, and be able to appreciate what each bring to the table, is really the best way to do it. I think a lot of people got the .1 PDK, felt it wasn’t engaging enough, and maybe gave up on it. On the same token, i think some people who got the .2 manual might have given up too soon as well. Embrace each for what they bring to the table.

Awesome transmissions.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Honestly if I were ever to get a manual transmission 911, it would be either a ‘16 GTS, or a Carrera T. If overall Porsche I would add the Boxster Spyder to the mix. If money would allow, a Singer!! These are all cars in which one can really enjoy revving the engine and shifting across the rpm range to really extract, IMO the beauty and joy of the manual transmission. It is common knowledge that the GT3 comes into its element above 5-6K rpm, anything lower and its kind of ‘meh’...while many can enjoy their GT3 short shifting at lower rpms, it’s simply not in the car’s sweet spot and for me, would ultimately prove unsatisfactory!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Honestly if I were ever to get a manual transmission 911, it would be either a ‘16 GTS, or a Carrera T. If overall Porsche I would add the Boxster Spyder to the mix. If money would allow, a Singer!! These are all cars in which one can really enjoy revving the engine and shifting across the rpm range to really extract, IMO the beauty and joy of the manual transmission. It is common knowledge that the GT3 comes into its element above 5-6K rpm, anything lower and its kind of ‘meh’...while many can enjoy their GT3 short shifting at lower rpms, it’s simply not in the car’s sweet spot and for me, would ultimately prove unsatisfactory!
laughable

Quick Reply: So many manual GT3's for sale