Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many manual GT3's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

I’d be curious to see th breakdown of the age of people who like manual vs pdk. Pdk- younger generations? Manual older generation as they grew up with one?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
So what do you think about the .2 GT3 clutch characteristics compared to the GT4? My issue with the .2 is that all of the engagement happens over a super short length, and right up at the beginning of the travel. Then as you pushed past the disengagement point, there is an inflection in the spring constant of the pedal and it starts getting easier to depress.

On track, this makes it easy to shift very fast with minimal effort. But on the road, when shifting more leisurely at times, this causes the clutch to engage very quickly, bogging the motor if you do the normal thing of letting off the throttle while you're mid-shift. To consistently prevent this I basically have to stay on the gas during the shift (similar to the no-lift-shifting on track), which is unnatural for typical manual driving, or I have to purposely shift very quickly every time (so I can catch the motor revs rapidly falling at the right point).

I'm getting used to it, but it's very different than any other manual I've owned (including my GT4). The GT4 by comparison is a stiffer clutch, and the clutch has a more consistent spring characteristic where pedal effort increases with pedal travel, and the engagement of the clutch is progressive over a significant portion of the travel.

At the track last weekend I spoke to another .2 GT3 owner who also has a GT4, and he said the same thing: he's having a hell of a time getting used to the .2 GT3 clutch on the road after having driven his GT4 so much (for all the reasons I described above).
I fully agree and the clutch is too light for my taste
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Young guy (well, for a GT3 purchaser) like manuals.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:45 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual (82)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I’d be curious to see th breakdown of the age of people who like manual vs pdk. Pdk- younger generations? Manual older generation as they grew up with one?
I bet it is all over the map. I grew up with manuals and high stall / built automatics. If they offered manual on the .1 it might have come down to color or one car had FAL. Really doesn’t matter that much to me. Both have pluses.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The PDK is just the better, and correct, transmission for a GT3 (either GT3, T, or RS)
This^. Res Ipsa Loquitor.

As I recall the poll on this had them at near 50/50.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I'm a manual fan, and have to say that the Grand Sport I owned last year set a new high bar for a manual. My new GT3 better be really good- some of you guys are making me nervous.

The good news is that if it's not, I can get another one tomorrow with no BS.. of course they make 15,000 a year, but I found out it's for good reason, LOL.
sleep well knowing ur manual car will be epic ... lots of fake news and manipulation ... just entertainment
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Patrick Bateman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

sleep well knowing ur manual car will be epic ... lots of fake news and manipulation ... just entertainment
Agree 100% - this manual is absolutely amazing. Maybe some people are just not good at driving manual??
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Agree 100% - this manual is absolutely amazing. Maybe some people are just not good at driving manual??
the driver must adapt to car ... feel is not inherently good or bad ... simply the character of that particular car
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 40, grew up with manuals in a European country where automatics just weren't a thing back then. I've had multiple manual cars and enjoy them, but I enjoy them more in less powerful cars. The last 911 I had with a manual was my 997.1TT, and I always felt like I couldn't extract all the power out of it. Since then my 991.1/991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GTS are all PDK, and I have no desire for manual in those cars at all.

Now if I got a Boxster or something for cruising around I would get a manual in a heartbeat, but for the higher power 911s a manual doesn't fit how I want to drive those cars.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

everyones driving location is key determinant ... I live 10 mins to the Atlantic coast ... 100’s of kms of twisty road ... car is for early Sunday morning blasts ... answer is simple ... a manual

That said ... I fully appreciate and respect all the others and rationale for PDK ... track days, urban commutes, lastest tech etc
Old 08-09-2018, 10:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

it won’t be hard to find a PDK because each successive generation will make a newer and better version ... newer PDK will not be nostalgia but new tech and obsolescence of the former

This is a good point. How will the PDK-S age in 10-20yrs?

If Porsche had designed this car as a manual only, would they have had designed a different gear ratio?

Also, surprised to see the feather light clutch. You'd expect a more involved feel. You have a certain expectation of what a car of that caliber will drive like.

With all this other chatter on these other threads, you barely get any decent posts with detailed REVIEWS of these cars other than CXX, ADM, and values. More FSBO ads than actual reviews.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the GT3 manual. It’s spectacular!
Period!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Ridiculous posts ...

i am a superior manual enthusiast to Mech and I say the manual is the best Porsche has ever produced and a nudge above the R

there you have it
I didn't say the MT in the .2 GT3 was bad, (if memory serves me right, I actually called it a great transmission), however I would hesitate to call it the "best Porsche has ever produced" as there are numerous reports to the contrary. Some prefer the transmission in the 997 4.0 RS, many think the MT in the 911R is better and dare I say, there are quite a few owners who jumped from the GT4 who claim that car's transmission/clutch is better weighted. With so many opposing viewpoints, it's hardly possible to claim it is "the BEST Porsche has ever produced"...because if it where, opinions would be closer to consensus or unanimous, especially given that these cars are less than 8 yrs apart and a number of those opining on here have either owned all four or at least driven all four cars! It's not like we are comparing cars that are generations apart like the '72 Carrera RS! The .2 GT3 6MT might very well be the most technologically advanced manual Porsche has ever produced, however that does not necessarily make it the best...
Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
many think the MT in the 911R is better
I was under the impression that it's the same gearbox. One difference is that the R could be had with a Lightweight Flywheel (and its redline is 500 rpm lower).

I am very happy with the MT in the .2 GT3. Actually, more than very happy

Quick Reply: So many manual GT3's for sale