Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many manual GT3's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

Agree with you on less about "engagement with the car" versus financial last 6MT in a GT car aspect as a motivation to buy, because the brain is what initiatives the shift whether manual PDK actuated or manual stick shifted.

If someone, a non-flipper, bought the car for simply financial reasons to make a small profit ($10 to 20K after taxes paid) within the first few years of purchase, the only hope for real value retention for the first few years after that is that the 2018 is the last NA, and then the MT and PDK cars may converge or equalize on price, including touring.

If the 992 stays NA with MT and PDK options, you might see a substantial sell off in early 2019 by the financially motivated 2018 GT3 owners that don't want to lose a dime (not likely anyways). The scramble for the 992 GT3 allocations will then begin, if not already.

Until anything is official on the 992 configuration, this is all chatter to keep us busy typing on the forum)

As long as we can enjoy these cars by driving them as much as possible, that is the REAL VALUE - life experience is better takeaway, as money always comes and goes and you can't take it with ya..........
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
As long as we can enjoy these cars by driving them as much as possible, that is the REAL VALUE - life experience is better takeaway, as money always comes and goes and you can't take it with ya..........
Agree 100% however a lot folks who normally don't drive Manual cars got caught up in the whole .2 GT3 6MT hype (due to the 911R) and ticked the 6MT option on their allocation. Now barely 6 months after delivery we are seeing numerous threads/comments where many are complaining about the Manual transmission (clutch is too light, shift is too slushy, too much work, don't like the 4-5-6 gear shift, etc.) At this price point, if you aren't happy with a car (especially a weekend driver), you are going to sell it...and maybe that's what we're seeing.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
When I tell people I optioned a PDK, most of their first reaction (these are all non-GT3 owners) is "Oh man, but manuals are the one that will be worth a premium down the road"! Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but it seems too many folks checked the box with the hopes of a better return. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it eventually becomes more difficult to find a PDK than a manual...
it won’t be hard to find a PDK because each successive generation will make a newer and better version ... newer PDK will not be nostalgia but new tech and obsolescence of the former
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

A manual sucks in traffic if you have to deal with it. I'm ok with flappy paddles when my RS arrives one less box to check manual or PDK .......I have two weeks to lock and I cant wait so I can stop making changes
Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
The scramble for the 992 GT3 allocations will then begin, if not already.
It has. At my dealer I'm #20 for the 992.1 GT3. They will have received 15 991.2 GT3's by the end of production so I have a shot with some dropping off the list. I'm also #16 for the 992.2 for good measure. Crazyiness I tell you...
Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

I am skipping and waiting for 994) just like the iPhone skipping for real technological and performance change)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 PM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, as many here pointed out you can't go wrong either way. But the choice does affect the character of the car dramatically. The PDK GT3 is a WEAPON and wants to attack the minute you start the car. The Manual, to me, has more of a Touring character, winged or not. Just look at Matt Farrah's review, how many times has he hit 9k? Once, twice maybe? Sure you can try to constantly hunt for 9k worrying about over-revs and money shift and clutch wear and running out of road while you pay attention to the tach... just seems like a lot of work to me.

I wanted the sharpest weapon so thats what I got. For the manual, I can always get a 977 or even better a 964 for a more authentic experience where I don't have to constantly hunt for max RPM and just enjoy the car and without worrying whether I'm getting my money's worth of RPM's.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
A manual sucks in traffic if you have to deal with it. I'm ok with flappy paddles when my RS arrives one less box to check manual or PDK .......I have two weeks to lock and I cant wait so I can stop making changes
Who is driving in traffic, are people actually driving any of these cars as a daily driver? It would be rare to see a GT car with 20k on it. So year after year we all see cars with little to no milage on them. My guess would be a lot of buyers don't drive the car the way it was intended. I would hate it to in down town NY in traffic everyday. Its not suppose to be that kind of car. The arguments are the exact reason we see no milage GT cars for sale, and even used 2004 996, all 997, and 991.1 gens with less than 10k on them. so 14 year old cars with no milage. Seems like the trend is more than a few years, its a few decades. I really don't care if anyone drives it or not, I care that PCAR keeps making manual cars.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 631 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Agree 100% however a lot folks who normally don't drive Manual cars got caught up in the whole .2 GT3 6MT hype (due to the 911R) and ticked the 6MT option on their allocation. Now barely 6 months after delivery we are seeing numerous threads/comments where many are complaining about the Manual transmission (clutch is too light, shift is too slushy, too much work, don't like the 4-5-6 gear shift, etc.) At this price point, if you aren't happy with a car (especially a weekend driver), you are going to sell it...and maybe that's what we're seeing.
I *only* drive manual cars, and I'm complaining about the combination of the clutch and the engine management between shifts in the .2 GT3 6MT. GT4's is better.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

^ there you have it. If a true manual enthusiast like Mech is complaining about the transmission in the .2 GT3, what hope do casual/new 6MT owners have, the majority of whom have been driving 6, 7 & 8 speed automatics their whole lives? I have no doubt that the 6MT in the .2 GT3 is a great transmission, it’s just not for everyone!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

There's at least another second or more. I'm positive Pobst will get a low 1:33 in the car, just like he did with the .1RS. I'm still not using all of the track at exit and could have been more aggressive with the throttle.....
Id say less aggressive with the initial throttle inputs would allow you to end up at full throttle sooner. When I watched all I heard was on throttle off throttle back on for good. Data will show that if you eased in and held steady or slowly increased throttle to full without backing out of it your times would decrease. Great lap either way tho!!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
^ there you have it. If a true manual enthusiast like Mech is complaining about the transmission in the .2 GT3, what hope do casual/new 6MT owners have, the majority of whom have been driving 6, 7 & 8 speed automatics their whole lives? I have no doubt that the 6MT in the .2 GT3 is a great transmission, it’s just not for everyone!
Ridiculous posts ...

i am a superior manual enthusiast to Mech and I say the manual is the best Porsche has ever produced and a nudge above the R

there you have it
Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the GT3 manual. It’s spectacular!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 631 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

Ridiculous posts ...

i am a superior manual enthusiast to Mech and I say the manual is the best Porsche has ever produced and a nudge above the R

there you have it
So what do you think about the .2 GT3 clutch characteristics compared to the GT4? My issue with the .2 is that all of the engagement happens over a super short length, and right up at the beginning of the travel. Then as you pushed past the disengagement point, there is an inflection in the spring constant of the pedal and it starts getting easier to depress.

On track, this makes it easy to shift very fast with minimal effort. But on the road, when shifting more leisurely at times, this causes the clutch to engage very quickly, bogging the motor if you do the normal thing of letting off the throttle while you're mid-shift. To consistently prevent this I basically have to stay on the gas during the shift (similar to the no-lift-shifting on track), which is unnatural for typical manual driving, or I have to purposely shift very quickly every time (so I can catch the motor revs rapidly falling at the right point).

I'm getting used to it, but it's very different than any other manual I've owned (including my GT4). The GT4 by comparison is a stiffer clutch, and the clutch has a more consistent spring characteristic where pedal effort increases with pedal travel, and the engagement of the clutch is progressive over a significant portion of the travel.

At the track last weekend I spoke to another .2 GT3 owner who also has a GT4, and he said the same thing: he's having a hell of a time getting used to the .2 GT3 clutch on the road after having driven his GT4 so much (for all the reasons I described above).
Old 08-09-2018, 02:02 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm a manual fan, and have to say that the Grand Sport I owned last year set a new high bar for a manual. My new GT3 better be really good- some of you guys are making me nervous.

The good news is that if it's not, I can get another one tomorrow with no BS.. of course they make 15,000 a year, but I found out it's for good reason, LOL.

Quick Reply: So many manual GT3's for sale