Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You lose low end torque.
Incorrect! A member here dyno’ed the exhaust with the valve connected/disconnected.
Here are the results: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...st-valves.html
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Can you expand on why you feel side delete sounds better? I was under the impression center bypass sounds louder and better.
I put a SW center delete on my .1 GT3 first and didn’t think it did anything to the sound below 4000 rpm and I had already “forced” the valves open all the time. I wanted the car to sound better so I put on FVD side deletes which dropped many pounds in weight, removed the large heat sink right by rear tires and also improved sound quality imo. I reinstalled the OEM center bypass with the side deletes but with my incoming I think I might remove all of them. I need to look at a few of the newer systems. That said if you really want sound the biggest bang for the buck is to remove or replace the cats with 200 cel race ones. Then there’s a significant dB jump.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,046 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof

Incorrect! A member here dyno’ed the exhaust with the valve connected/disconnected.
Here are the results: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...st-valves.html
I'm aware of Matt's dyno run but the results are from conclusive. I will believe Porsche on this one.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Just a few observations form what we have seen over the years....
-installing side deletes definitely increases the sound limits, in most cases, making it extremely loud. If that's what you want, a great option but be prepared for a hearing aide in your near future.
-Center deletes, at least ours, makes the most dramatic sound increase while maintaining the usability of the stock valves and maintaining the continuity of the OEM system.
-Our system is full compatible and modular with side deletes and headers, as we have sold each individually, or all 3 together.
-Removing weight in the back of the car is always nice but unless you are really tracking the car more often than not, you probably won't feel the difference.
-Center Sections seem to be the most popular because the sound increase is fairly dramatic but without the drone of side deletes or potential check engine lights with catless headers.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Just a few observations form what we have seen over the years....
-installing side deletes definitely increases the sound limits, in most cases, making it extremely loud. If that's what you want, a great option but be prepared for a hearing aide in your near future.
-Center deletes, at least ours, makes the most dramatic sound increase while maintaining the usability of the stock valves and maintaining the continuity of the OEM system.
-Our system is full compatible and modular with side deletes and headers, as we have sold each individually, or all 3 together.
-Removing weight in the back of the car is always nice but unless you are really tracking the car more often than not, you probably won't feel the difference.
-Center Sections seem to be the most popular because the sound increase is fairly dramatic but without the drone of side deletes or potential check engine lights with catless headers.
Are your comments on side deletes based on valved versions that retain the stock PSE functionality, or valveless?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:25 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 18 Posts

My personal observation with the center muffler delete on a .2 manual:

It is indeed louder without being too loud and still gives the opportunity to come home quietly. No drone also and
mainly outside racecar-like at WOT. Rev matching is also finally really sharp.

But, there´s one big but, and maybe it´s just me: the sound quality is not enhanced, it actually looses character and
typical flat six notes.

Two examples, compared to stock with blocked exhaust valves:
-below 4000rpm, there is a nice tone/growl that reminds me of the air cooled era. Very Porsche and distinctive.
With cmd-> gone, replaced by louder and unspecific noise
-above 7500rpm, when the induction noise takes over and makes your eyes water, reminds you of e30 m3´s in the early 90s.
With cmd->gone, just loud, so loud the induction noise is no longer heard

Trouble is, even though I really love the stock sound, I´d like it louder, sharper, but without loosing the lovely tones.

How did you guys with side muffler delete experience this?

Peter
Old 06-25-2018, 04:41 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I totally agree. I am leaning towards a Soul Center bypass for my touring. It is 1/3 of this price delivered to the U.K.

I can then consider a full Dundon system or IPE for the RS if the Soul isn’t enough.
Smart plan ; )

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I think more need to do side delete with valves, 1500 bucks and be done with rear center delete. They sound perfect, loud, loose weight, and give you header options later down the road.
Originally Posted by skxf430
That seems like a good way to go but how does it sound? Any droning at all?
Originally Posted by hayn911gt3
Hey Doug. Can you post some videos of your side deletes. I am leaning towards that as well instead of the center bypass. If the longest I drive is 40 miles, should I just do the valveless side deletes? I really hate the opening and closing of the valves.
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I heard that side deletes will give you a moderate increase in noise (less variance between valves open and closed as gas etc passes through center muffler) and slightly different tone, whereas center bypass will give you a more pronounced difference between valves open and closed with overall a larger increase in noise

John @ AutoQuest told me this, I appreciate him taking the time to talk and walk me through the exhaust options over the phone as an interested bystander (have ZERO experience with either FWIW)
Thanks for the kind words Sam, and you are quite on point with your feedback!

To add to this, *Valved* side muffler bypass pipes are key to note here. Without them being valved, they are essentially in the valves-open position at all times and can have more of a cabin presence. Non-Valved side muffler bypass pipes will tend have more cabin presence at cruising speed than a center muffler bypass pipe with valves closed.

I believe the loss of torque is when the valves are no longer present. I believe the valves create back pressure.
Valve delete, I believe so. I also believe, after speaking with John (who is awesome by the way) that on a Center muffler delete, most valved systems when closed route the air tona dofferent section of the Center Muffler which isn’t their on an Center bypass. I could have misunderstood this point, but I don’t believe so.
It was my understanding side delete isn’t as loud as centre bypass. Can you confirm please?
Can you expand on why you feel side delete sounds better? I was under the impression center bypass sounds louder and better.
I appreciate that Farris, it was a pleasure chatting with you : )

You are correct by the way. In either a Valved Side Muffler Bypass or Center Muffler Bypass, with valves closed there is more backpressure than in the valves open position. With the Valved Side Muffler Bypass, exhaust is routed through the more restrictive upper area of the center muffler. With a Center Muffler Bypass, exhaust is routed through a more restrictive area of the side mufflers. In both setups, valves closed is more restrictive and offers some backpressure to offset low end torque loss before the valves open automatically.

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
My personal observation with the center muffler delete on a .2 manual:

It is indeed louder without being too loud and still gives the opportunity to come home quietly. No drone also and
mainly outside racecar-like at WOT. Rev matching is also finally really sharp.

But, there´s one big but, and maybe it´s just me: the sound quality is not enhanced, it actually looses character and
typical flat six notes.

Two examples, compared to stock with blocked exhaust valves:
-below 4000rpm, there is a nice tone/growl that reminds me of the air cooled era. Very Porsche and distinctive.
With cmd-> gone, replaced by louder and unspecific noise
-above 7500rpm, when the induction noise takes over and makes your eyes water, reminds you of e30 m3´s in the early 90s.
With cmd->gone, just loud, so loud the induction noise is no longer heard

Trouble is, even though I really love the stock sound, I´d like it louder, sharper, but without loosing the lovely tones.

How did you guys with side muffler delete experience this?

Peter
Peter you will find that comparatively in tone, valved side muffler bypass pipes will not have the overall aggressiveness of the center muffler delete but will have a bit smoother note to it. The difference between valves open and closed will also be a smoother transition. For most people that are looking for a moderate improvement to the exhaust note/sound level of the car, valved side muffler bypass pipes are the ideal upgrade. For most of those looking for a transformational difference in the exhaust note to really get their blood pumping, a center muffler bypass is superb and gets you looking for the nearest tunnel to drive through or highway divider to get up next to with the windows down.

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
does it not sound totally different than a Porsche GT3 like an F1?
Shooting you over a PM Brian, we can spend a little time going over the different options and I'll be sure to help you make the right choice for you
Old 06-25-2018, 04:43 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Are your comments on side deletes based on valved versions that retain the stock PSE functionality, or valveless?
For the most part, both, as we get a lot of cars through this shop and I always take the time to hear each and everyone of them, whether they have our products on them or a competitor.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question the GMG bypass for the 991.1 GT3 RS is compatible with 997 RS models? Thanks
Old 06-28-2018, 10:23 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An important factor that warrants discussion is the aggressiveness of the exhaust note from inside the car vs. how it sounds to someone standing behind the car. The two are definitely not always the same. For me, the perfect exhaust setup can address both. I have a center muffler delete on my current touring, and it sounds incredible from the outside...but I must say that I'm leaning toward getting a full new exhaust system because I'm searching for a better note on the inside. On my 991.1 GT3, the side muffler delete was an excellent compromise that to my ears sounded great both inside and outside.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
Question the GMG bypass for the 991.1 GT3 RS is compatible with 997 RS models? Thanks
They are not compatible. The Dual 4 inch tips are too large for the bumpers exhaust opening.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
They are not compatible. The Dual 4 inch tips are too large for the bumpers exhaust opening.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
An important factor that warrants discussion is the aggressiveness of the exhaust note from inside the car vs. how it sounds to someone standing behind the car. The two are definitely not always the same. For me, the perfect exhaust setup can address both. I have a center muffler delete on my current touring, and it sounds incredible from the outside...but I must say that I'm leaning toward getting a full new exhaust system because I'm searching for a better note on the inside. On my 991.1 GT3, the side muffler delete was an excellent compromise that to my ears sounded great both inside and outside.
I am wanting something for my touring. I was going to go with the Soul center bypass but my primary interest is the sound while driving. Can you shed more light on how it is not cutting it for you?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:01 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

A video struck my memory and i thought it would be very relevant to the discussion. The end of the video has him driving in 7th gear at 70mph which shows the typical highway driving and the rest of the video is of open throttle and more spirited driving

Old 06-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wanting something for my touring. I was going to go with the Soul center bypass but my primary interest is the sound while driving. Can you shed more light on how it is not cutting it for you?
ak432 you are certainly correct in that regards. The interior sound of a center bypass and side muffler bypass is notably different. A center muffler bypass tends to have more cabin noise on throttle in regards to overall sound level. More aggressive and unrefined comparatively in exhaust note. A side muffler bypass tends to have a more moderate increase in cabin noise on throttle in regards to overall sound level. It is not as aggressive, but has a smoother exhaust note. Now there are also several different side muffler bypass pipe designs, and those may vary slightly in sound as well depending on whether or not they utilize both entries in the center muffler and how deep they route the exhaust into the center muffler (especially on the bottom entry). I'll send you over a PM. Perhaps we can chat a bit more in depth on the exact sound you are looking for, and what combination of products is best going to meet your goals.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3