Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
Does anyone have a good video of the stock center with the Fabspeed side deletes on a 991.2. I found a video on youtube but it's super short and has music over most of it. I am thinking of going this route since there is a bigger weight savings.
Scott here at Fabspeed, check out this video. It will give a good idea what the system would sound like with just the side muffler bypass pipes. Feel free to reach out to me for forum pricing!!!

>>>
<<<

Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Scott here at Fabspeed, check out this video. It will give a good idea what the system would sound like with just the side muffler bypass pipes. Feel free to reach out to me for forum pricing!!!

>>>Side Muffler Bypass<<<
When you run side deletes, do you need to change the OEM center muffler/is there any additional stress or risk to the OEM center muffler? Is there any HP/TQ gain or loss? I was in the center delete camp but actually side delete seems more and more appealing to me the more I read about it.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 136 Posts

So got the car last night and noticed there is some opening in the wheel well in front of the side mufflers. Is there some kind of insert that should be purchased to fill this whole once you do a side muffler delete. Not sure I want to have a bunch of road debris kicking up around in there. Unless it's a non issue but I figured I would consult rennlist as I am surely not the first to have this thought.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richardbf
So got the car last night and noticed there is some opening in the wheel well in front of the side mufflers. Is there some kind of insert that should be purchased to fill this whole once you do a side muffler delete. Not sure I want to have a bunch of road debris kicking up around in there. Unless it's a non issue but I figured I would consult rennlist as I am surely not the first to have this thought.
I wouldn't say so. We've installed more than I can comfortably count at this point from 997.1 to 991.2 and have never had any issues.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 289 Likes on 118 Posts

Looking for a RS titanium Center muffler
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Looking for a RS titanium Center muffler
I actually thought about this as well and whether it would be an "upgrade" worth pursuing in terms of sound for my 991.2 GT3 vs. spending money on a non-OEM center or side muffler delete. You think you would notice a sound difference? Asking because I personally have 0 idea
Old 09-01-2018, 04:34 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I actually thought about this as well and whether it would be an "upgrade" worth pursuing in terms of sound for my 991.2 GT3 vs. spending money on a non-OEM center or side muffler delete. You think you would notice a sound difference? Asking because I personally have 0 idea
Well, I have a .2 3RS and although I like the sound, I want more volume so I am going for an aftermarket rear bypass on my touring.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the side bypass fabspeed with valves, louder than a center delete, better sound. cleaner. I would do this as my first option. then headers if you really need louder. it transitions much cleaner than a center delete also
Old 09-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 289 Likes on 118 Posts

Jamie at Dundon said it would complement the Street catted system they have and lower a little more weight
Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 312 Likes on 165 Posts

Others have complained about how loud the 991.2 Touring is stock, so if I went aftermarket I’d be looking for quieter, not louder. I live in an urban environment, which already has enough extra noise from aftermarket installations. But, carry on....

Last edited by WernerE; 09-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

The rear muffler or resonator, whatever it really is, does very little. so when you bypass the honking side mufflers, the car comes alive, you kill that tingy sound, you get a purr from the exhaust. the weight is gone, and it sounds correct. Correct in a way you would want the exhaust to sound like. It does not sound manipulated like a center delete. I don't know the correct works to explain, but it has a polished sound that blends the valves and exhaust together is a smoother fashion. I need to make a video.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 AM
GRPerformance
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts

New RS with our GRP center bypass.

For me this is the abdolute perfect combination! I think our customer Scott would agree!

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-03-2018, 02:43 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I need to make a video.
Please do if you get a chance. I’m thinking of side bypasses with stock center as well. Fabspeed, Dundon etc.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM
thinkingmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the side bypass fabspeed with valves, louder than a center delete, better sound. cleaner. I would do this as my first option. then headers if you really need louder. it transitions much cleaner than a center delete also
I did this, without the valves... but am finding myself missing the option of going quieter when on longer trips/freeway driving. How does it sound with the valve closed? I'm thinking of swapping to the with valve side bypass.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior construction on the center muffler between steel and titanium is negligible, so don't expect the sound change to be caused by anything other than the material difference. It is enough for a change in the exhaust note but you'd have to have a keen ear to hear it. It's not what you'd be looking for based off our conversations, you'll be much better served with a bypass and I believe we were closer to a side muffler bypass for you at this point haha.

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Well, I have a .2 3RS and although I like the sound, I want more volume so I am going for an aftermarket rear bypass on my touring.
How are you enjoying that RS so far? Other than the sound haha. Let me know when you're ready for the bypass, we'll make it happen

The rear muffler or resonator, whatever it really is, does very little. so when you bypass the honking side mufflers, the car comes alive, you kill that tingy sound, you get a purr from the exhaust. the weight is gone, and it sounds correct. Correct in a way you would want the exhaust to sound like. It does not sound manipulated like a center delete. I don't know the correct works to explain, but it has a polished sound that blends the valves and exhaust together is a smoother fashion. I need to make a video.
Very well said Doug, I agree with that statement in every aspect as more of a fan of the side muffler bypass as well.

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
Please do if you get a chance. I’m thinking of side bypasses with stock center as well. Fabspeed, Dundon etc.
Doug and Bigsky, I'll work on a video for this setup as well, we have about a dozen .2 GT3's running side muffler bypass pipes i should be able to get some time with one and a GoPro in the near future. Bigsky I'll shoot you a PM to discuss the various side muffler bypass pipes and take care of any other questions you may have on the exhaust setup.

Originally Posted by thinkingmonkey
I did this, without the valves... but am finding myself missing the option of going quieter when on longer trips/freeway driving. How does it sound with the valve closed? I'm thinking of swapping to the with valve side bypass.
The sound is a good bit reduced with the valves closed, I'd say a good medium between valves open and closed on the factory exhaust setup. I have had a number of people that went non-valved and switched to the valved version and found they were happier with that ability to close the valves at cruising speed.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3